Overo

by Trebor. STAFF
June 21st, 2019 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Are Here To Help You

Someone had to pick up the slack when Dad Thighs broke up. Emo has been more or less dead and buried for years now, and Dad Thighs’ lone full-length record was like a zombie's hand shot out of the grave, trying to pry out the rest of the scene in vain. The only emo bands thriving currently are of the very undesirable “dude, bro” variety, and I’d rather listen to the same Dad Thighs record on repeat than subject myself to mom jeans. Dad Thighs had it all - a soul-piercing female vocalist, music with actual dynamics, and killer arpeggios for days, but they broke up, and my soul died with them. Until I heard Overo. Overo is here to save the day. Overo features Lindsay and Mercy from football, etc. and Brendan from Perfect Future, and it’s fair to say they sound like a mix of those two bands. Overo is heavy, but not oppressively so, there’s a definite balance with screaming and distorted bass complimenting cleaner, delicate sections. Adding to the dynamics is the give and take dual vocals. The vocals are low in the mix, and the overall production is raw which mixes perfectly with the aggressive songwriting. There are moments of levity to be sure, but there’s nothing I’d call bright or plucky. "Summer Wheat" is the crux of the album, with an extended instrumental opening that cascades into a furious performance from Lindsay and Brendan. The haunting use of strings bring the track over the top, and its delightfully depressing vibe makes it an easy candidate for song of the year. Overo is not the most original album - Brendan often sounds eerily similar to The Saddest Landscape’s vocalist, and it’s in many ways a heavier version of early football, etc. - but considering how barren the emo landscape is, and the overall quality of the songwriting it gets a pass and a half. Moments like the driving chords that crescendo into harmonics in "Joseph" point to an illustrious career as long as Overo improve even slightly going forward. But this is emo we’re talking about so odds are they’ll break up and shatter my heart once again.

State Faults ClairvoyantAmerican Football American Football (LP3)
Hotel Books I'll Leave the Light On Just In CaseBring Me The Horizon Amo
Alkaline Trio Is This Thing Cursed?Mark Kozelek Mark Kozelek

June 21st 2019

Keep in mind I wrote this before State Faults new LP came out and blew me away. Emo is back!

Summer Wheat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMyeZRo9so

Digging: Me in Capris - For Those Who Think You

Slex
June 21st 2019

Yeah what I listened to of this is awesome

Digging: Joliette - Luz Devora

not a review

noted

Papa Universe
June 21st 2019

emo's never been gone, bub.

to the checking booth!

June 24th 2019

love this, also glorified soundoffs are reviews fuck who disagrees 😤

Digging: Jeromes Dream - LP

nightbringer
June 24th 2019

So this seems to have been ignored.

June 24th 2019

So my favorite of the week is Trebor core. Awesome balance in the shared vocals here.

June 24th 2019

def treborcore but treborcore at its peak

Conmaniac

u mentioned Dad Thighs im hooked

June 24th 2019

I like this more than anything that gets these genre tags I've heard in awhile

June 25th 2019

"Emo has been more or less dead and buried for years now, and Dad Thighs’ lone full-length record was like a zombie's hand shot out of the grave, trying to pry out the rest of the scene in vain."

emo is the new post rock

Digging: Frightened Rabbit - Tiny Changes

June 25th 2019

also love that summary and it makes me instantly want to listen to the only three good songs deer leap ever produced

June 25th 2019

bump because listening to this again, and it deserves more listens/ratings from the people of sput. it ain't quite Dad Thighs, but still incredible in its own right.

June 25th 2019

I dig it. Didn't care for Dad Thighs much tbh.

dad thighs ruled

dad thighs ruled x100

I'm an outlier

Snake.

nice

will check

MarsKid
June 27th 2019

"Emo has been more or less dead and buried for years now"

Take a shot anytime you see a genre described as 'dead'

Metalcore fans are dead in an instant

Digging: Disentomb - The Decaying Light