Boris

by Trebor. STAFF
July 13th, 2017 | 69 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Eerie and beautiful. Cold, yet warm

Boris doesn't have much left to prove at this point in their career. They could easily get away with coasting if they wanted to, releasing uninspired albums, ceasing experimentation, and tour off the “greatest hits” until the wheels come off. But Boris doesn't do that - they’re 25 years deep into their career and constantly reinventing themselves and pushing the boundaries of their sound. Boris has compiled an impressive resume of stoner rock, drone, shoegaze, noise rock, and post-rock albums, and they even put out a surprisingly good J-pop record only a few years ago. The constant through all this experimentation has been Boris' exceptional ability to blend heaviness with emotion. From the guitar crunches in the opening tracks, to the brooding falsetto vocals in "Kagero," and the superb lengthy emotionally draining solo in "Dystopia," there’s always a moody expression at the heart of the music. Dear expands upon the sludge and drone sound the band has been developing the last several years - there’s a monster riff about halfway through "Absolutego" that in true Boris style gets my blood pumping and my heart racing. The shoegaze and dream pop influences from their last several records have mostly been stripped away, leaving behind a pure sludge heavy framework. As limited as Dear is stylistically compared to previous Boris releases, it still manages to hit all the right notes with its emotional core.

Dear like most Boris releases has its fair share of unexpected moments - twists and turns that keep the album fresh. Wata’s chilling soft vocals on "Beyond," coupled with the minimalist percussion of the title track provide just the right dose of experimentation. The second half of Dear does drag a tad, "The Power" specifically is too long and too repetitive, but the strength of the closing two tracks more than makes up for the slight dip in quality. There’s not much more one could ask for out of a Boris record - it’s very focused tonally, it’s inspired, and it heavy as fuck. Dear continues a long line of experimental, exciting, and fresh releases from the Japanese three-piece, Dystopia -Vanishing Point" is one of their best songs to date, and the record as a whole is rock solid. Boris doesn't have any obligation to still be putting out records this captivating, but Dear most certainly captivates, and it has me excited for 25 more years of Boris.

Counterparts You're Not You AnymoreLil Uzi Vert Luv Is Rage 2
The Brave Little Abacus OkumayThe Brave Little Abacus Just Got Back from the Discomfort - It's Alright
The Brave Little Abacus Masked DancersMatt Aspinwall/The Brave Little Abacus Split

July 13th 2017

The solo in Dystopia is my favorite thing Boris has ever done

I'm not sure why the average dipped on this because it's hella lit fam

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

brainmelter

v nice

Digging: Infester - To the Depths... In Degradation

Conmaniac

19671 Comments

still need to jam Flood. good lil review tho treb

rockandmetaljunkie
July 13th 2017

need to get that record !!

Thanks dawg

Flood is fantastic

July 13th 2017

Only heard 2 albums by these guys. Loved new album, thought feedbacker was dogshit

July 13th 2017

Feedbacker is my favorite, but to each their own

July 13th 2017

It was like 7 years ago that I heard it. I can't remember much about it, other than it sounded like noise for the sake of it. Just aimless, oftentimes grating noise. I'm curious to retry it and see how my old opinion holds up

Sniff

This is lit yes. + fam

Relinquished
July 13th 2017

nice, didn't expect trebor to dib this, not bad man.

July 13th 2017

Wasn't the guy high out of his mind on heroin when he made feedbacker?

Spacesh1p
July 13th 2017

Gotta check this. Score looks promising.

Digging: Deadbeat - Drawn and Quartered

Frippertronics
July 13th 2017

How does Noise have a higher average than this when this is far, far better tho

Relinquished
July 13th 2017

cuz it just came out?? wait for it to settle, damn

Spec

Long live Wata!

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

EyesWideShut
July 13th 2017

been putting this off for some reason