Rotting Christ
Rituals

2.0
poor

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (145 Reviews)
February 4th, 2016 | 228 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: the only ritual the band successfully committed here was suicide

I'll have to give credit where it's due; Rotting Christ's longevity is impressive. Formed in 1987, they are one of the longest running extreme metal bands, and the most noteworthy to come out of Greece. Starting out as a grindcore project, the band has successfully shifted its sound throughout the years, producing an expansive discography that traverses throughout the many forms of black metal. Their constant evolution has undoubtedly been the key to their longevity thus far; however this seems like the end of the road for these Greek blasphemers. Despite continuing their trend of experimenting on the extreme metal formula, their latest album Rituals is still a frustratingly tawdry and monotonous affair.

Rituals may not sound like any Rotting Christ release before it, but the material strewn about this album feels all too similar to each other. Styled after its namesake, almost every track is based around creating "ceremonial" black/gothic hymns. In a way they succeed -heavy tribal-esque percussion and raucous Satanic chants make appearances throughout the entirety of the album - but this ultimately proves to be one of the album's fatal flaws. If too much of a good thing can make you sick, too much of something mediocre is deadly; Rotting Christ's attempts in creating ritualistic metal are pedestrian at best. As a whole, their performance lacks conviction. Flaccid power-chords ring out ad-nauseam while the drums plod away without any impact, stifled by the pristine production. There's nothing wrong with well produced black metal, but when it causes the punch to lose its power, it becomes counterproductive. Keyboards are used in abundance, yet their atmospheric potential is rendered useless in their sterile simplicity, and though grandiosity is (presumably) the goal, it fails to ever reach those Olympian heights.

Perhaps the worst issue to plague Rituals is how unintentionally hilarious the whole thing is. Black metal is inherently cheesy; the corspepaint, the posturing, etc…, but Rituals is offensively so. It tries so desperately to be serious, but when listening to the rapid-fire incantations of "Apage Satana" it feels poorly-executed, overdone, and worse, contrived. Black metal is capable of taking you many places, but a tiki bar on karaoke night shouldn't be one of them. Rotting Christ have had a long career, with many albums to be proud of - every prior incarnation of their sound has proven worthwhile - however, Rituals is not one of them. With this release, the only ritual Rotting Christ successfully committed, was suicide.

Ulver The Assassination of Julius CaesarCounterparts You're Not You Anymore
Blood Incantation StarspawnParamore After Laughter
Converge The Dusk in UsDrowning the Light The Vampire Cipher
3.2
good
Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
An empowering and tribal album but a little too repetitive...

EuShock (3.5)
In conclusion, Rituals is a hit-and-miss situation. It possesses both blatant failures and obvious m...

February 3rd 2016

Album stream: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/full-album-premiere-rotting-christs-rituals/

Pretty disappointed with this, as I generally like what these guys do a fair amount. Hope you all enjoy the review, and of course, constructive criticism is welcome.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Midian

Hawks
February 3rd 2016

Damn is this really that bad? :[

Sweet review as always bro, will jam this tomorrow after work.

Digging: Cell - Hanging Masses

February 3rd 2016

jamming now, hoping to enjoy this more than you did

DatsNotDaMetulz
February 3rd 2016

I was tempted to check this out cos I noticed that Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost, Bloodbath) and Vorph from Samael were guests. Is it really that poor?

Relatively speaking it's probably OK because I've been toying with the idea of reviewing the Facebook meme page Drowning Pool's new album for a bit of self inflicted mental torture.

February 3rd 2016

Yeah, it's pretty terrible in my opinion. I was going to mention the guest spots (there are quite a few) but they don't amount to anything at all, so it seemed better left unsaid.

Hawks
February 3rd 2016

I've loved everything I've ever heard from these guys so maybe I'll dig it more than you do haha. But we usually agree about these kinds of things so I guess we shall see.

Archelirion
February 3rd 2016

"a "ceremonial" black/gothic hymns." - should the 'a' be there? Quality review dude, unless general opinion indicates otherwise I'm probably not gonna check this one. It's a shame as of what I've heard of these guys beforehand they're normally quite solid.

February 3rd 2016

Thanks for the catch Aaron, that is most certainly not supposed to be there haha. I generally advise people to check out albums I dislike anyway, just because you never know what you may like general consensus or not. It is definitely a shame though.

FrozenVain
February 3rd 2016

Interesting review. Gonna jam this asap.

"Black metal is capable of taking you many places, but a tiki bar on karaoke night shouldn't be one of them."

This made me laugh. Can't wait to hear that...I guess.

cvlts

quality summary lmao

zaruyache

19973 Comments

SPIRIT WHY

Digging: Black Funeral - Empire of Blood

did you like this?

February 3rd 2016

Upon first listen, I don't dislike it at much as you seem to but it is underwhelming. Will listen again though

February 3rd 2016

I'm not a *huge* Rotting Christ fan so I can see people who are more into them not disliking as much as I do, but I can't imagine anyone really being satisfied by it either.

DatsNotDaMetulz

"quality summary lmao"

Well that's TheSpirit.

that's me ;]

zaruyache

19973 Comments

haven't jammed it yet but the last one was good so I want this to be good spirit whyyyy

February 3rd 2016

listen to it first and then ask my why ya jabroni

emester
February 3rd 2016

Never listened to Rotting Christ believe it or not...

jam theogonia bro