Electric Callboy

by Trey STAFF
September 5th, 2022 | 128 replies

Release Date: 09/16/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Stupid Fun Escapism

“Hypa Hypa” couldn’t have been released at a better time. By June 2020, most the world was locked down, necessities were in short supply, uncertainty and division was dominating the news, and a large majority of the population was living in fear of an unknown disease. Amid all these anxiety-inducing events, Electric Callboy (Eskimo Callboy at the time) dropped a mind-fuck of a video featuring dirty mullets, eighties attire, barely choreographed dance moves, large amounts of chaos, and over-the-top humor. The song itself immediately caught the attention of the confined masses with its memorable chorus and shocking transitions from cheesy electro-pop to metalcore. Would “Hypa Hypa” had been as successful if it had been released under better circumstances? That question is open to discussion, but there’s no doubt “Hypa Hypa” provided humor and escapism at a time when people needed both. Fortunately, TEKKNO provides more of the same.

The album’s first single, “We Got the Moves”, is even catchier and more energetic than its predecessor, featuring an electro-beat straight from classic Front 242, rhythmic metalcore, and a huge cheesy chorus. It also breaks up the formula with back-to-back breakdowns; a rave-themed breakdown as well a more traditional one. Of all the great elements on “We Got the Moves”, it’s new vocalist Nico Sallach’s voice that really lifts the song to the next level. Honestly, Nico couldn’t have come at a better time. It might just be my opinion, but Electric Callboy’s quality had been quickly diminishing since Crystals, and they needed something to inspire them again. It seems losing their old vocalist and adding Nico was the inspiration they needed. If there was still any doubt about the band’s motivation, the album's second single “Pump It” put it to rest.

With the release of “Pump It”, an obvious formula started to emerge. It seemed every song was going to feature jarring transitions, modern electronica and 80s pop, bouncy metalcore, alternative rock, a large dose of frat boy humor, and huge overblown choruses. Beyond the music itself, the running theme of sensationalism and an over-the-top disconnect from reality really makes TEKKNO so appealing. Nowhere is the culmination of all these elements more apparent than the minute and thirty-nine second “Hurrikan” which is half German schlager and half deathcore; with an accompanying video that is even better than the actual song. On the topic of brevity, another element that works in TEKKNO’s favor is the brief duration of the songs and album itself. On the micro level, each song establishes its schtick, beats you with a break down for a change of pace, and ends before any of it can become tedious. On the macro level, the album itself benefits from the same short runtime; culminating before the Electric Callboy formula starts to become stale.

TEKKNO couldn’t have come out a better time. There is, of course, the state of the world and the escapism TEKKNO provides, but there’s also the significance it holds to the band itself. Each album since Crystals had been increasingly bland and uninspired, while at the same time neutering the heavier elements of their past; TEKKNO fixes all of that. If you’ve heard even a few of the singles, you know exactly what to expect – huge breakdowns, brilliant pop choruses, modern and old-school electro, metalcore riffs, and a large dose of escapist fun. I don’t know if you could consider TEKKNO a comeback release, but with as low of an opinion as I had about their last few albums, I would consider it one – a successful one if their streaming numbers and concert attendance is any indication.

Disturbed DivisiveEpica The Alchemy Project
Bush The Art Of SurvivalFear Factory Recoded
Dimmu Borgir Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (Remixed...)Rabbit Junk Apocalypse For Beginners

20105 Comments

I really didn't like their last few albums, and didn't even bother with "Hypa Hypa" when it came out until the Reaction Videos hype pretty much forced me. If you can handle music that isn't serious and topical, there's a lot to enjoy here.

Pikazilla
September 5th 2022

I cannot wait to jam the f out of this

The new vocalist was the best thing to happen to them

Sowing
September 5th 2022

---If you can handle music that isn't serious and topical, there's a lot to enjoy here---

Sounds right up my alley. Will jam this when it comes out.

Good review, too.

Mort.

20805 Comments

why is sowing listening to so much metalcore. what the fuck is going on

Purpl3Spartan

acc was hack obv

The new vocalist was the best thing to happen to them (2)

JesperL
September 5th 2022

nice, excited to jam this once or twice

one lil nitpick: "establishes it’s schtick" it's should be its

20105 Comments

Thanks for the error correction. For me, this album is highly addictive. I've listened to it way more times than I thought I would. Like I said, it's just good dumb fun.

--why is sowing listening to so much metalcore. what the fuck is going on--

After nearly 15+ years, Sputnik is finally getting to him. ha ha.

ChoccyPhilly
September 6th 2022

If it's just as addictive as Hypa Hypa then count me in

September 6th 2022

This sounds like some serious guilty pleasure type core-shit. I'm probably down for that.

I love when Sowing ventures onto the metal halves of the site. The guy is clearly an optimist. I'd love to listen to most of the stuff I'm familiar with brand new(ish) ears. Imagine hearing albums like Blackwater Park for the first time again.

20105 Comments

Sowing has definitely expanded his tastes over the time spent on Sputnik.

--Imagine hearing albums like Blackwater Park for the first time again.--

Reaction videos. Live through other people's experiences.

kalkwiese

Ugh, reaction videos

Lender
September 6th 2022

Cant wait to give this a listen. Guilty pleasure or not, they are fun as hell.

iChuckles
September 6th 2022

The opening sentiments about "Hypa Hypa" are absolutely spot-on. That song/video exists in such a weird time capsule from when the world was so bleak and hopeless that people needed something light-hearted to cling onto and they delivered that in spades. Excited to check out the whole thing.

joshieboy
September 7th 2022

Best thing about this band is showing them to my non-metal listening friends and watching their reactions. Band is just so fun.

September 7th 2022

-Reaction videos. Live through other people's experiences.-

definitely not the same thing.

20105 Comments

Ha ha. Of course not. Nothing beats the personal experience, but there are a couple of those reaction channels I like and actually learn things from. It's also strange how sometimes people will key in on things I never even heard before on stuff I've been listening to for years.

September 7th 2022

That I can understand. Like professional jazz drummers watching Meshuggah drum vids.

20105 Comments

Exactly. I got hooked on them during the lock down. I was stuck in a foreign country for eight months when no one could travel, so I had to find something to do, and reaction videos killed a lot of time

rodrigo90
September 8th 2022

PLEASE tell me that the title is a pun of Tekken.

Purpl3Spartan
September 8th 2022

That sure is a ratings graph

reaction vids with people who actually have something interesting to add to the content can be wildly entertaining yeah