Taphos
Come Ethereal Somberness

good

by dvd0bvb USER (11 Reviews)
December 24th, 2018 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An Album in Conflict

Taphos’ debut Come Ethereal Somberness is a study in conflict. Conflict of influence, conflict of sound; it's as if one band wrote riffs and another wrote leads. “Ocular Blackness” utilizes riff structures typical of death metal but we get a melodic, almost ambient solo about midway through the song that's out of place and confusing to the listener. It's a theme that creates uncertainty throughout the album's entirety. I found myself asking if Taphos will fully commit to the melodic sound or will they cave and give in to the old school influences"

The answer is, unfortunately, neither. We have most of an album full of “Ocular Blackness,” well meaning death metal with disjointed melodic parts. The notable exception to this is “Insidious Gyres” and its prelude “Dysfori.” It isn't until this moment Somberness’ conflict comes to a head and we are finally shown the riffs which Taphos have been telling us they're capable of. This final climax is then marred by a solo that insidiously hints it was a fluke, and the album's closing moments confirm the song is not a conscious denouement, the riff and lead writers simply switched seats.

Taphos is a band capable of more than Come Ethereal Somberness lets on. We see hints of it, but the potential is never realized. Ultimately, this is an album that would have been much better served by its inherent conflict had it either closed a song earlier or been self aware enough to resolve it.

Virvum IlluminanceVale of Pnath II
Fallujah DreamlessWRVTH WRVTH
Arkaik Lucid DawnBeyond Creation Earthborn Evolution

Nocte
December 26th 2018

Missed this review. Seems you took a slightly harsher take on it than I did. Regardless, it’s a more than solid record

dvd0bvb
December 31st 2018

I honestly like it, and you're right it's really solid dm. But the whole time I found myself listening for something they only hinted at until Isidious. It was like watching someone who's really good at something not do that thing to their full ability.