Vale of Pnath
II

by dvd0bvb USER (11 Reviews)
June 28th, 2016 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another potentially good band puts out another potentially good album

Vale of Pnath first caught my attention fairly recently when I discovered their debut, The Prodigal Empire. It was a technical death metal album for sure, following the same path as other groups that added a melodic spin on Necrophagist’s sound such as Obscura or Beyond Creation. It was a solid album and the band showed so much promise, but it left a lot of room for improvement. Vale still shows they have that same potential with II though it remains largely untapped.

The sophomore release starts off strong with “Blacker Than,” a song that shows off the band’s creativity but also foreshadows the rest of the album. The song begins with a beautiful acoustic passage that sets up the main chord progression around which the rest of the band builds. Drums come crashing in and guitars create melodies that compliment and flow into each other. The bass holds the foundation with its feet in the original progression and, while prominent, is not overbearing. For a genre that seems to almost pride itself on its synthetic aesthetic, this is a very organic writing process and it works well for Vale of Pnath. It’s also a huge step up from their previous effort, The Prodigal Empire which fell short of its potential.

II sees the band begin to grow beyond their debut, however Vale of Pnath still lack a desperately needed sense of individualism. The middle of the album lacks the personality that we glimpse in the first few tracks. Riffs become repetitive and meld into each other, song structure formulaic, what with three other songs that follow the same pattern as the opener. Things only get interesting when the band briefly slows their breakneck pace to experiment with more chordy ideas instead of alternate picking tech riffage.

It isn’t until the end where the album comes back to life with the closer, “Unburied.” It shows off Vale of Pnath at their best. Interesting chord pay, tastefully crafted guitar riffs and an outro that reminds you why you stuck it out this long. It's here we can see the band grasping for greatness but falling just short, held back as they struggle to find a voice of their own.

Taphos Come Ethereal SombernessVirvum Illuminance
Fallujah DreamlessWRVTH WRVTH
Arkaik Lucid DawnBeyond Creation Earthborn Evolution

June 28th 2016

Thought this was quite decent, which is a nice surprise.

Really like the band logo on the album cover too. It's of those typical logos where you still can't even decipher it but now it's totally modernized and unique.

Digging: Way Out West - Intensify

dvd0bvb
June 28th 2016

I was pretty hyped for this but it didn't make it for me. Lots of albums like that this year

June 28th 2016

You mean you were expecting better?

But yeah, I agree there's a LOT of wicked technical metal this year that is miles ahead of this

July 4th 2016

so it's not that excellent eh? going to check anyway

Digging: Aethyrvorous - Demo

ckssr1
July 29th 2016

Awesome stuff

July 29th 2016

yea this wasn't super great but it was satisfying enough

This bassist. Can RIFF.

July 31st 2016

Also he has cool tattoos. And plays amazingly well live.

So is this good?

Digging: Popiol - Zabobony

July 31st 2016

it's nothing special, but it's not necessarily bad really

"not necessarily bad"

Ok IGN

Futures
July 31st 2016

a 4 and that's your description? huh?

July 31st 2016

There isn't anything ground breaking going on in this album but it's melodic, well put together and extremely fun. And the bass basses hard as fuck

August 1st 2016

i have weak spot for melodic riffing as a guitarist myself, an yea I personally gave this a 4 to bump the avg a bit. and yup that's how I'd describe it to someone else that was asking. I am no IGN lmao. they're just numbers guys

ckssr1
August 2nd 2016

"So is this good?"

Album is awesome IMO

August 2nd 2016

ye

August 11th 2016

Ok I'm gonna give this a shot in a minute.

August 12th 2016

I dig this way, way more than I was expecting to.

August 13th 2016

yea buddy, The Horror in Clay rips

XfingTheSullen
September 30th 2016

ok guess i need to check it out, i really jacked to their first album