Avenged Sevenfold

very poor

by Benjamin Kuettel STAFF
December 11th, 2019 | 34 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The sound of a band with nothing to say.

Avenged Sevenfold have been jumping trends in rock and metal music for over a decade, accumulating new fans with each album while simultaneously losing artistic credibility. They further alienate their fan base by releasing a shameless rip-off of classic hard rock and heavy metal bands with Hail to the King. The band have always been pretty unoriginal, but it’s taken to a whole new level here. From “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC to multiple songs by Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, no hard rock or heavy metal band appear to be safe from Avenged Sevenfold’s lack of ideas. New band member Arin Ilejay's talent with the sticks is squandered for a disappointingly bland and monotonous drumming performance throughout. The music itself isn't terrible, other than the pervading stagnation and blandness from beginning to end.

This is the definition of background music, stunningly unengaging if at the very base level of being listenable. Bands that evolve and change over time are usually something special, but Avenged Sevenfold have remarkably harnessed that quality and used it in the hackiest ways possible. For positives, “Heretic” and “Coming Home” are two tracks that offer a glimmer of the talent and energy the group possessed in their earlier days. The singing is also the least annoying of any of their albums. Listen to this to play the fun guessing game of “What band wrote this riff/melody?” within each song, but otherwise you may as well go see an inspired cover band accurately recreate the classics in a dive bar somewhere. It would be a more respectful way of consuming that music than giving Avenged Sevenfold any more attention.

Oneohtrix Point Never Garden of DeleteHammock Universalis
Sand The Dynamic CurveOpeth In Cauda Venenum
Kayo Dot BlasphemyTool Fear Inoculum
2.3

Space Jester
December 11th 2019

Omg I’ve been waiting for this review for forever

IAmScott

lol are you drunk

Space Jester
December 11th 2019

Dude you gotta brush up on your sput history if you don’t know about the long-awaited Talons Hail to the King 1.5 review, it’s top 5 Sputnik lore prophecies now fulfilled

IAmScott
December 11th 2019

I mean IK i'm new and all, but like actually?

Source
December 11th 2019

I have only come across two albums in my lifetime that embody this ambition in full.

Ikarus14
December 11th 2019

It's pretty short but to the point. I would have liked to see this beefed up a tad just to expand more but not a bad review at all.

I couldn't agree more, though. First it's Black Sabbath mashed with Megadeath, then Motorhead covering AC/DC, then Guns N' Roses, then Metallica, and so on. They might as well have done a cover album if they were going to be this obvious.

kalkwiese

Hail to the queef

Digging: The Hirsch Effekt - Kollaps

maximomckinnon
December 11th 2019

easily the worst A7X project, everything here is just so unremarkable and phoned in

JohnnyoftheWell
December 11th 2019

What's the lore behind this unexpected pleasure?

Digging: Everything But the Girl - Walking Wounded

December 11th 2019

Album truly does not slap

Aerisavion
December 11th 2019

I consistently forget about this album.

veninblazer
December 11th 2019

c'mon guys it ain't THAT bad, it's just kinda unmemorable

Digging: Paradise Lost - Obsidian

Terrible album yea

Wildcardbitchesss
December 11th 2019

“c'mon guys it ain't THAT bad, it's just kinda unmemorable”

Ya, there’s nothing here that’s extremely offensive. I’d say the self titled is easily worse than this.

Digging: Cloud Rat - Do Not Let Me off the Cliff

72haha72
December 12th 2019

Oh, it is THAT bad. It is.

SymbolicInTime
December 12th 2019

I dont remember if anything here is as offensively terrible as Dear God or Gunslinger but that's not saying much of anything

TalonsOfFire
December 12th 2019

I've wanted to do a negative review for a while, cause I've been mostly all positive the past 2-3 years. I couldn't find the motivation to sit through a terrible new album just for that reason, but I noticed I had a long soundoff for this that I decided to lengthen for a review. I want to get to 100 reviews by the end of year. My next two will be for albums that no one on the site has covered.

Digging: Katatonia - City Burials

Wildcardbitchesss
December 12th 2019

I honestly don’t mind Gunslinger. Mainly referring to Dear God, Unbound, and Lost.

Lost slaps

Ocean of Noise
December 12th 2019

s/t has some of their best songs and some of their worst

overall it's bad because it's such an uneven listen

but Afterlife, Gunslinger and Brompton Cocktail kick ass