Darkthrone
Hate Them

by The blackened dungeon crawler USER (7 Reviews)
July 26th, 2019 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The disk saw of hatred.

It is easy to get lost in the famous Norwegian duo's enormous discography, that's why some of their albums end up a bit overlooked, less popular. Same case for 'Hate Them' as well, but this album deserves some love.

After some struggling times for both members: 'Hate Them' was born. And the creation is an ugly, rusty but highly energic album, delivering riffs of hell. As anyone would expect from the crust-punk influenced era, the song structures are rather simple, but effective: tons of crushing riffs with lots of tempo changes - which is one of the biggest strength of the album. The guitarwork by Nocturno Culto is super massive and dominant, and personally, the guitar tone is one of the best I've ever heard: it is ugly, rusty yet super heavy - fueling the riffage. Behind the drumkit, Fenriz did a really great job here, as he is following the guitar. His simplistic style really shines in this record, and as you would expect from a "drum-snob", the drums sound very organic and are perfectly placed in the mix. Unlike in the following record ('Sardonic Wrath') the bass has less impact on the album's overall sound, stays mostly deeply sunk in the mix nice and clean, following the heavy riff-storm. The vocals are really great, Nocturno's unique harsh and raspy voice fits very well to the overall sound - loud but not dominant in the mix, with pretty understandable lyrics. (Fenriz wrote some sickly good lines for this one!)

Alltogether, this album deserves much more love than it usually gets, because its massiveness. And not to mention the crushing riffs!

"Black Metal is the devil's fuel."
- - - - -
Album highlights:
"Rust"
"Striving for a Piece of Lucifer"
"In Honour of Thy Name"

Metallica Jump in the FireWormsblood Bounds Beaten
Mayhem PsywarSaturne I
Darkeater Что помнит лесHessian Crucible Morbidity Demo
3.3

garas
July 26th 2019

One of my personal favourites from this band, deserved a review.

Positive criticism is always welcomed, and please tell if there are any mistakes or murky phrases!

Digging: Sarke - Gastwerso

Azog
July 26th 2019

You just gotta love Darkthrone.

Sunnyvale
July 26th 2019

Nice review. Album isn't one of my favorites from the band, but basically all of mid-era Darkthrone is seriously underrated.

July 27th 2019

rust is one of their best tracks imo

Digging: Men I Trust - Oncle Jazz

Hawks
July 27th 2019

Finally this has a review!

Also agreed with Sunny ahrd. m/

Digging: Erang - Kingdom Of Erang

hansoloshotfirst

severely underrated imo.

I come from a land

Of systematic erasure of optimism and positiveness

You don't want to encourage me...

DadKungFu
July 27th 2019

Probably an unpopular opinion but I get way more mileage out of Darkthrone's crusty thrash material than their BM.

metalhead2425
July 27th 2019

Glad to see this reviewed. I was thinking of doing one for a while, but never got around to it. Nice work!

StrikeOfTheBeast

Decent album.

Darkthrone - Hate Men

random
July 27th 2019

“Divided We Stand” rules in a part of Creature Skateboards’ “Black Metal” video.

Digging: The Planet Smashers - Life of the party

Pikazilla
July 27th 2019

My least favourite Darkthrone record. Not even kidding.

August 17th 2019

o baby

garas

Feeling ~rusty~ today.

Trifolium
September 11th 2019

Good bumps. We always need more Darkthrone on the front page!