Pale Waves
My Mind Makes Noises

good

by Josh USER (16 Reviews)
September 25th, 2018 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It does nothing new, but it doesn't do much wrong.

Pale Waves debut record has finally released and it's pretty standard fair. I find it odd that everyone compares them to The 1975 when their writing is not nearly as provocative and the music itself is not nearly as experimental or out there - they are a simple band with simple lyrics and stay within the realms of comfort. But, while Pale Waves certainly doesn't try anything new for the most part, they don't really do anything that could be considered bad.

It's a basic debut record. A majority of it is about relationships and a lot of the songs remind me of that early 2000s aesthetic, especially some of their music videos (One More Time is the biggest giveaway). So while their lyricism and music is standard, some songs such as When Did I Lose It All, One More Time, and Black manage to keep your attention while the rest of the album is standard radio-fare. There's nothing WRONG with that, just a bit underwhelming.

The album is mostly just electronically fueled pop with some indie rock/pop influences here and there, and Heather's vocals suits the style quite well, actually. It's not very fast paced and it takes every song at a moderate pace, giving it a decent length for their full length debut. The electronic influences blend well with the guitars, and it's almost obvious that Matt Healy helped produce this record - and though they are identical with most mainstream indie rock bands like this, if they managed to improve on their sound, they could become fairly iconic with how their many styles blend on each song musically.

If they could keep their catchy style and evolve their instrumentals further, as well as improve on the fairly generic lyricism - as most songs are just about falling in love - they would be able to put out something pretty amazing, I'm sure.

Here's hope to seeing them improve on their already established sound for their eventual sophomore record.

Recommended tracks:

3.1
good

tyman128
September 24th 2018

This isn’t a bad review per se, but it doesn’t do much good honestly. For those who have never listened to the band, there is almost no description of their sound other than “simple” and that is a very broad term. If you just add an extra paragraph describing the sound of the album as a whole with insight on the instrumentals and vocals and any other intricacies, then the review would be much better. Everything else flows pretty well, just with lack of description. Good work, but could be and should be improved upon.

JoshGray672
September 24th 2018

Noted, thank you. I'm still trying to improve on that.

September 24th 2018

Album is great and catchy as hell. Considering writing a proper review for this.

tyman128
September 24th 2018

no worries Josh, just keep practicing and you’ll get the hang of it

McTime50
September 24th 2018

from everything i've heard, i don't know if this is something really worth checking out.

seems like theres no depth to it.

Brostep

album is good af

Ashtiel
September 24th 2018

the last few tracks on here are probably my favorite alongside the closer, which starts to get into some interesting territory and i wish there was more like it on the album.

other than that it's a decent debut that has plenty of material to tide people over while these guys (hopefully) shake up their craft on future material. but what they do they do well

Digging: Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo

September 24th 2018

Seeing them on Halloween.

Digging: August Burns Red - Found in Far Away Places

Brostep
September 25th 2018

have fun! seeing them almost exactly a month after

2091 Comments

Album is deeply flawed but hey it's a debut, let's give them some slack. They'll more than likely take steps to find their own identity next time around. For what this is I really enjoy it. "Drive" is one of the best pop songs of the year.

Digging: Dirge (FR) - Elysian Magnetic Fields

SweeneyTodd
September 25th 2018

my filler senses are tingling

Digging: Chapel (Rise) - Sunday Brunch

brandontaylor
November 29th 2018

solid enough debut - there are some huge hooks on here and while theres definitely filler its still got 9 or 10 tracks that are really punchy and wouldve made a better and shorter album. would also like to see them dirty up their production in their future stuff

Dewinged
November 29th 2018

I want to check this but Idk, I don't have a good feeling about it.

Digging: Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo

November 30th 2018

It's amazing so you totally should.

November 30th 2018

2091 Comments

It's a bop, so go for it.

December 7th 2018

2091 Comments

"Drive" is pop song of the year. Even better than "It's Not Living," in fact, I'd take this whole album over that one. Gotta bump the rating.

December 21st 2018

The chorus on Black is ridiculous.