Ichiko Aoba
Kamisori Otome

by Aberf USER (8 Reviews)
October 19th, 2017 | 22 replies

Review Summary: Less is More

The blueprint of an artist’s works all lie within their composition, where the potential of a song can ultimately be realized or end up squandered. Ichiko Aoba’s musical concept is simple and rather minimalistic. She emphasizes the simplicity and stretches it to the limit, creating music that lacks various instrumental elements in order to highlight the elements she chooses to employ. Kamisori Otome (Razor Maiden) is a showcase of brilliant composition, positioning an intertwining vocal harmony along the vibrating strings of the guitar, proving that less is more.

In the opener, ‘Fuwa Rin’, a gently strummed guitar seizes the listener, leading them into a room filled with Ichiko’s reverberating voice; “fuwari fuwari (floating gently along)” is a befitting line for the song itself. In each song, the melodies are fluttering, shifting between sections, creating warm, lush, and dreamy textures as if you are lying on top of a cloud. Ichiko is never hesitant to make the most intimate sounds, almost like she is whispering gently into your ear. She paints the blank album art with her music, transforming the mere shade of white from the album art into a colorful landscape, unfolding into the dreamy world of Ichiko Aoba.

Ichiko Aoba’s emergence as a singer-songwriter signifies not only her technical skills, but also her songwriting ability. She often evokes the vivid imagery of certain places, connecting her listeners to her own experience. In Kamisori Otome, the lines are often uplifting, lighthearted, and occasionally romantic, leaving not even a slightest room for depressiveness. Ichiko’s lyrics are usually hard to decipher. As they are written in Japanese, a normal translation wouldn’t help in order to truly understand the meaning behind them. With lines like, “Let me tell you my secret:/ If you get off three stations down from there/ You’ll hear the sound of the master key (translated),” one needs a certain level of understanding of the context and references behind the lyrics. But even without such context, the blissfulness within this album remains intact.

Kamisori Otome is a rather homogeneous piece of work, in terms of how it sounds and how it is structured. Though, thanks to its short, 27-minute, Kamisori Otome avoids overstaying its welcome, even transforming the homogeneity into something that works in its favour. The lack of experimentation and obvious variation is something that engenders the idea that this debut signifies the humble beginnings of Ichiko Aoba.

Yeule Serotonin IISweet William and Jinmenusagi la blanka
Vyva Melinkolya Vyva MelinkolyaLing Tosite Sigure #5
Kalafina Seventh HeavenKinoko Teikoku Uzu Ni Naru

Special thanks to

Frippertronics, who helped me write this.

Conmaniac, who kept giving me some sick advice.

Jack, who pretty much edit the entire review cuz I'm still suck at writing in Englando.

Ovrot

pos'd

19108 Comments

The Sput-Folk Union makes its first and most important move.

heyadam
October 19th 2017

I listen to her latest record pretty much every night. So good.

Digging: Sukekiyo - ADORATIO

Dewinged
October 19th 2017

Good review, pos'd. This reads a bit weird, idk why, I could be wrong though: "The blueprint of an artist’s works all lie within their composition". I would have gone with "The blueprint of an artist’s work lies within their composition."

I haven't listened to this one yet. Better than Mahoboroshiya?

Digging: The Stargazer Lilies - Occabot

very important happening http://www.sputnikmusic.com/list.php?listid=177724

internet greenwich village unite ~

19108 Comments

the world is not enough damn it

@dewinged, I'd say this is better than Mahoroboshiya

October 19th 2017

"contrary to popular belief, more is, quite literally, more"

Fake News

SandwichBubble

Niceee

Digging: Dirt - Never Mind Dirt - Here's the Bollocks

October 19th 2017

Will this get another ghost neg? We will see.

ComeToDaddy
October 19th 2017

Haven't jammed but I know it'll be good because Ichiko, sounds right up my alley. Nice work on the review bud, pos'd

Conmaniac
October 19th 2017

hey wonderful stuff Abe, reads even better now! keep it up n pos

19108 Comments

The folk union v. The post punk confederation

Dewinged
October 20th 2017

"I'd say this is better than Mahoroboshiya" I'll take your word on it Abe, gotta check it out.

October 20th 2017

Remember The Folk President, James K. Folk

April 18th 2018

A reminder that this has been on Spotify for a while, along with utabiko and origami.

brainmelter
September 15th 2018

god all of this women's stuff is so great

Digging: Evigt Morker - 1

heyadam
September 15th 2018

so close to her new record!

September 15th 2018

Once her voice clicks, it will never stop clicking.