Nokturnal Mortum
Verity

by Zach USER (95 Reviews)
June 7th, 2017 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A sound of ancient times.

I can’t say I am very familiar with Nokturnal Mortum, which is a shame because ff of their most recent outing “Verity” the band shows a striking ability to create something both joyfully entertaining and austere at the same time. The record is rather bold, and yet never so much that it begins to sound overly-stern and bland. This is probably due to the wonderfully upbeat folk instrumentation and epic chants. Now, at times this can become a crutch for the band, however it is one that is done wonderfully so. This isn’t to say there aren’t occasionally interesting drum fills or guitar leads however, as the track “Song of the Snowstorm” does well to show. While sparsely used, the guitar solos certainly have a bit of bite to them, as does the vibrant and climactic drumming.

However, like I had said earlier, the folk influence is what really takes precedence here. There is a myriad of different instruments (perhaps too many to count) that paint the vivid imagery of an ancient, crumbling Eastern European street market. At times, it can border being rather eerie, such as off the fourth track “Spruce Elder”. It’s harrowing, yet still in that playful gather-round-the-campfire-and-tell-ghost-stories kind of way. All this is extremely complimented by the gargantuan shouts of Knjaz Vargoth, which are both raspy and vicious yet surprisingly accessible. Their are plenty of strong hooks off this record, which can be especially attributed to Vargoth. This is strongly present off of tracks like “Black Honey” which will be sure to make you gather your mead and courage and lock yourself into battle with anyone in your way.

“Verity” is the soundtrack that encompasses the heart of everything that is Eastern European. It firmly plants itself in its roots, and, with a voice of steel, echoes across the Ukraine. The effect of this is, unfortunately, marred slightly by the mildly lengthy run time (74 minutes), but I digress. Whether it be the bold, hearty spoken word off of “Night of the Gods”, or the war cries off of the aforementioned “Spruce Elder”, this album will almost definitely transport you into a whole new dimension. Of course, in this dimension there is no internet or computers to read this review on, but who needs reviews when you’re chugging beers with a squadron of peasant slaying knights"

Panopticon The Crescendo of DuskCan Bardd Nature Stays Silent
Nokturnal Funeral Lye x Love CutsSaor Forgotten Paths
Nile In Their Darkened ShrinesCryptopsy The Book of Suffering - Tome II
DoctorVelvet (2.5)
Though ambitious, intricate, stylized, and original, Verity suffers from severe bloating and a lack ...

June 7th 2017

I'm surprised at the hate for this record, I enjoyed it a decent bit

Evok
June 7th 2017

Thank you for writing something positive about this. Sput is literally the only website shitting on this album.

Digging: Kimyan Law - Zawadi

June 7th 2017

Lol it's good, sput is often a black sheep with opinions anyway.

hansoloshotfirst
June 7th 2017

"I'm surprised at the hate for this record"

srs? 3.6 average and no rating under 2.5.

"Verity is the soundtrack that encompasses the heart of everything that is Eastern European"

lol. u know nothing, dede.

TheSpirit
June 7th 2017

I'm not sure your first sentence is a great way to open the review. Maybe if you were familiar with the band and their earlier work, you'd see why people are disappointed. It's cool you enjoy the album on its own merits, but as a longtime fan this is disappointing.

Digging: Lord Snow - SHADOWMARKS

ScuroFantasma
June 7th 2017

Hey good review man, props for doing this, album needed a well-written positive review.

Also I disagree Spirit because for that exact reason I think it's a good thing he mentioned it. He's acknowledging that he's coming at the record with no prior experience, and he enjoys it. Omitting that line won't change his familiarity with their back catalogue.

beefshoes
June 7th 2017

I'm extremely scared to listen to this. Voice of Steel was such an easy 5....

TheSpirit
June 7th 2017

That's true Scuro! I guess for me context is important, but I totally get your point.

June 7th 2017

"srs? 3.6 average and no rating under 2.5. "

Most everyone I talk to here seems to really dislike this.

"lol. u know nothing, dede. "

you got me there

Gameofmetal
June 7th 2017

i don't like that first line but for a different reason, it doesn't seem to tie into your intro in any other way. you just say that, and then shift abruptly into a different direction.

June 7th 2017

I was tying it by saying it's a shame I haven't listened to them because as I said-

"Off of their most recent outing “Verity” the band shows a striking ability to create something both joyfully entertaining and austere at the same time. "

It makes me think man I really should've listened to this band before if they rule this hard and already have like 7 or 8 albums.

zaruyache

20652 Comments

"I'm extremely scared to listen to this."

it's not as solid as the previous album but some of the stuff here's just as good. And it's super long so even with the more meh tracks there's still a boatload of good stuff here.

ScuroFantasma
June 7th 2017

You could just throw the word "because" between the first and second sentence without many changes, make Game happy.

Yeah I guess

Evok
June 7th 2017

just do what you do dede just do what you do. its good stuff.