SikTh
Opacities

by Rowan5215 STAFF
December 4th, 2015 | 332 replies

Release Date: 2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nine to five ain't the same in the wild...

Don't forget to smile!

It is possible, though not explicitly clear, that the length of SikTh's new mini-album Opacities is a rumination upon its major theme – that of shortening attention spans, convenience and instant gratification. It is the phenomenon that has led to six seconds being the maximum length of a Facebook video that the average person can be bothered to watch; to eBooks and .pdfs of entire comic book series'; to the expectation that online articles and reviews should start with a snappy and often barely relevant line to hook the reader in – just quote a cool lyric and you usually got this in the bag.

The most impressive thing about SikTh's two full-lengths was how they managed to drag songs out to five minutes and beyond while sticking to an almost breakneck pace in their whirlwind of screams, yells, growls, mumbles, scats, soaring cleans and hyper-technical music. Opacities absolutely still sounds like the half-human half-cyborg brainchild of aliens with British accents, but manages to does so in a refreshingly concise manner.

It is when "Tokyo Lights" kicks in that SikTh fans will really start feeling at home. The third in a series of spoken-word tracks by singer Mikee Goodman, following "When Will the Forest Speak?" and "Mermaid Slur", "Tokyo Lights" feels like an extension of – even improvement upon – an essential facet of SikTh's unique style. There is no better indication of Opacities' message than the way the world of "Tokyo Lights", one full of neon and chrome and synesthesia, contrasts with the one Mikee was immersed in now twelve years ago when writing The Trees Are Dead and Dried Out... - one of mysterious and unfathomable nature, yetis and monkeys and millennial skies. SikTh claim in "Philistine Philosophies" to have "watched the golden age digitally decay", and they have a few choice words about the neon-lit nightmare that they see in its place.

Hayley Williams FLOWERS for VASES / descansosBlack Country, New Road For the first time
Weezer OK HumanKid Cudi Man on the Moon III: The Chosen
ManDancing The Good SweatBlack Thought Streams of Thought, Vol. 3: Cane and Abel

sup

Digging: Hayley Williams - FLOWERS for VASES / descansos

December 4th 2015

What's good Rowan? Great write-up, pos'd. Need more albums for my year-end list so I might check this out.

December 4th 2015

This is a mini-album or w/e but yeah

pretty good man feeling good about finishing this review finally, watching Community, enjoying the little things. sup with you

December 4th 2015

Damn, was hoping it was an LP. I'll check it anyway though.

Doing good too dude, have finals next week which is super stressful but after that I get to chill for like a month so that's good.

bowlofsoup
December 4th 2015

Pos'd. I'm loving this right now

Tasty

omg a new album

Yea I wish it was an LP too

good luck bro I believe in you show those finals who's boss

TalonsOfFire

19323 Comments

5. Under the Weeping Moon

Opeth cover or just a coincidence? Never jammed this band before.

Digging: Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage

December 4th 2015

Gonna need all the luck I can get. How's Uni going bro?

ComeToDaddy
December 4th 2015

Still haven't heard this but I'm beyond excited to jam it. Sweet writeup too rowbro, pos'd m/

Essence
December 4th 2015

Nice review man, agree with most of it. Disagree about the spoken word, but that's just preference :]

December 4th 2015

That exactly what I thought too Talons haha it's just a coinkydink. Also that tracklist is fucked better fix it

@Judio I've been on break now for about a month bro, first year was pretty sweet with a couple of downsides but definitely worth it

thanks dad

December 4th 2015

Fair enuff Essence I've always thought it was the best part of their albums

December 4th 2015

posd hard man but i may have some useful critiscm in tjr mornon jusy wait

Digging: Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette

December 4th 2015

thanks mort I'll be waiting for it with bated breath

December 4th 2015

a few sentenes read weird to me im sure itllmsake sence in mornin

ovrsll tho goood shit man goood write up

:D

December 4th 2015

It sounds infinitely better than whatever that would sound like

I forgive you

December 4th 2015

i hesrd that song that sounded kornish and cringed gard