Darkthrone
A New Dimension

by BMDrummer USER (52 Reviews)
May 19th, 2014 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Darkthrone at their true roots feature lots of crust punk and death metal influence, but there are hints of what was to come.

If you know anything about extreme metal, you’ll know Darkthrone are one of the most important bands in the entire genre. They’ve crafted black metal classics such as Blaze in the Northern Sky and Transilvanian Hunger, which feature dark melodies, dynamic shifts, blast beats, satanic lyrics and vocals, and poor production. While the poor production aspect is usually a turn off for people, Darkthrone, as well as almost every other black metal band, just make it work so well that it adds to the atmosphere. But, what is there to find in Darkthrone’s first few demos" Well to be honest, nothing wildly different from their subsequent efforts.

A New Dimension appears to be their most praised demo by far, and it surely deserves that spot. There is actually some musical maturity to be found on this release, where instead of just trying to be as fast or technical as possible, they throw in a lot of melodic parts, dynamic shifts, and a quite inspired sound. Vocals are completely absent from the one official song on this tape, “Snowfall”, which is a bit of a gripe, but it stays interesting throughout. The intro track, “Twilight Dimension”, appears to just be weather sounds similar to “Black Sabbath”. These of course, are incredibly lo-fi, but it kind of adds to the overall feel as I said before. For the one real song, it opens with what sounds like the same exact riff from Death’s “Infernal Death”, but it has a place in here. It will occasionally shift from slow to fast, but it doesn’t ever feel too jittery or anything like that. So, the song has diversity to it, but it’s basically a crust punk-influenced death metal song.

A New Dimension is a solid, quick, and straight to the point demo. It sounds surprisingly accessible, but that is most likely due to the lack of vocals. Darkthrone show signs of maturity in their one song here, but there are certain aspects that would be improved upon. Of course, the production wouldn’t ever really get better, but the musicianship got much better, the addition of vocals was a plus, and the atmosphere would get much darker. This would be a good listen for those interested in the roots of Darkthrone, or black metal for that matter. To end it, A New Dimension is a satisfying, raw, and interesting demo tape.

Ada (ME) AdaVic Chesnutt At The Cut
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy Master And EveryoneLungfish The Unanimous Hour
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead MadonnaXiu Xiu A Promise

May 19th 2014

Someone said this needed a review so I wrote this one, feedback is welcome!

ugh stop :/

Digging: Nivhek - After Its own Death/ Walking in a Spiral

manosg
May 19th 2014

Glad to see this one reviewed, pos.

Digging: King Diamond - Songs for the Dead Live

You ok oltna? : (

emester
May 19th 2014

I not very fond of Darkthrone's Black Metal stuff, believe it or not. If this is anything like their first album, then I'll give it a shot

May 19th 2014

I don't know tbh. Never listened to their first record, but I love the early BM stuff they did.

ExplosiveOranges
May 19th 2014

Short review, good review. Pos'd.

May 19th 2014

Who keeps negging my reviews? Is it oltna? If you're going to neg, at least tell me why and what I could improve.

its not me

May 19th 2014

Ok thanks, but someone keeps negging my reviews lately and not saying anything.

welcm 2 spunkik!

Insurrection
May 19th 2014

report it in the meds thread, they can clean them up for you

havent heard this yet but i love old dm darkthrone

MisterTornado

best x3-6 mafia tape

MoosechriS
July 13th 2015

Is it just me or does anyone else get massive death & poison vibes from this? The amount of riffs that remind me of leprosy and into the abyss is awesome.

demigod!
September 17th 2016

how could one like death metal in the 80's and not be a fan of death?