Swans
My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky

by SowingSeason STAFF
January 14th, 2011 | 46 replies

Review Summary: A heavily diverse concoction by Swans filled to the brim with complex layering, astounding production, and ominous undertones.

My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky is the culmination of several dark atmospheric rock essentials. The swaying rhythms and mystifying aura are presented with a newfound potency that allows Swans to alternate between their artistically crafted mask of anonymity and forthright delivery of some of the most abrasive, shocking moments you will hear in music. Relentlessly overwhelming in its sound, the album grasps one’s ears and mind alike, leading them into a twisted, blackened skyline on a rope as long as the imagination can fancy.

The perfection achieved almost immediately by “No Worlds/No Thoughts” is a prime indicator of just how high Swans can take you. Although clad with haunting bells, jet engines, and heavy distortion, the song is mostly propelled by its constantly shifting momentum and unrelenting, perpetually heavy percussion. It all makes My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky feel less like a journey to the heavens and more like a slow plummet into the depths of hell.

Fortunately, Swans meet the expectations set by themselves right from the get-go with results that transcend merely admirable and enter the realms of awe-inspiring, breathtakingly majestic, and downright frightening. From the eerily hummed, bubble-obscured opening of “Little Mouth” to the quiet complacency of “Reeling the Liars In”, there is nary a letdown across the album’s runtime as Swans bombard their listeners with one astonishing moment after another while changing styles and tempos with relative ease.

Perhaps the album’s greatest strength lies within its sheer diversity – and its ability to hone in on all of those extremely varying styles to establish a tangibly cohesive atmosphere. For all of the post-rock rises and falls, valleys and crescendos, inhales and exhales…My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky never even begins to feel tired and it certainly doesn’t becomes repetitive. The weariness that some listeners feel during the record would be likened to watching a movie so intense that you temporarily lose your bearings, having been swept up in the emotionally traumatic or cathartic scenes that have been brilliantly woven together to have just that effect. Swans’ latest work is no different – it is intense, extremely detailed and intricate, and it allows your mind to run away with itself on more than one occasion.

From one song to the next, My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky is constantly proving its worth. The moody electric guitars, gloomy snyth, and heavy but assorted drumming techniques never come across as labored, despite the oppressive effect they can have. The instrumentals alone can even carry the album on occasion (“Inside Madeline”), with Michael Gira’s vocals only entering the picture when he sees fit. Gira’s deep sound offers up moments of booming authority as well as soothing lullabies, and the unwavering conviction accompanying his delivery is a major reason why the album feels so bold at times. My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky is a just that: a bold album full of just about everything in Swans’ arsenal to date, and it dares the listener to climb that rope just a little bit more and discover all of the beauty within this dark, clearly unstable opus.

St. Vincent MASSEDUCTIONManchester Orchestra A Black Mile to the Surface
Circa Survive The AmuletThe Killers Wonderful Wonderful
Gang of Youths Go Farther in LightnessBrand New Science Fiction
joshuatree EMERITUS (4)
Swans return, bigger and more frightening than ever...

dominics (3.5)
Hopefully, it won't take listeners too far up....

CryptcSlaughter10 (4)
"SWANS ARE NOT DEAD" - Gira produces another stunning album...

PsychicChris (4.5)
Swans' first album in nearly fifteen years makes for yet another amazing comeback....

meh.

Ponton

good stuff sowing

Digging: Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial

Thanks Xeno, Observer

And Jared I don't think I ever congratulated you on being staffed, I tried to stay as far away from that drama trainwreck as possible. But either way, it was well deserved so cheers (I'm not British but I'm trying that word out)

Mordecai.

nice one chap

SloppyMilkshake
January 14th 2011

Fucking love this record. Saw Swans a few months ago, they were breathtaking. The show also left me deaf.

January 14th 2011

I'm not comfortable with mate yet. I'll get there...I'll get there.

Deviant.

Good work skipper

Irving
January 14th 2011

You wrote this in twenty minutes? I'm jealous of you, old chap.

Thanks Deviant = )

And yeah, 20 minutes...I'll admit I took an extra 5 or 6 minutes afterwards to read it back to myself though

Irving
January 14th 2011

I spend 20 minutes just thinking what summary to use.

January 14th 2011

Usually I take longer than this, and it wasn't intentional, everything i wanted to say just came to me

Romulus
January 14th 2011

i spend twenty minutes willing myself to write something...

great review as always, i liked the album too

January 14th 2011

Thanks Romulus! I'm glad you liked this, it definitely blew me away

Nagrarok
January 15th 2011

This is very convincing Sowing... but would I like it?

January 15th 2011

Umm...I can't say I have a strong inclination one way or the other as to whether you'd like this Nagrarok, but I would recommend one full listen to anyone

Nagrarok
January 15th 2011

Well, since you always write great reviews I can't help feeling guilty over never actually listening to something you write about. So I'm going to change that.

January 15th 2011

haha thanks man, i hope it's worth it in the end

Jethro42
January 15th 2011

I know, everyone is saying cheers and I'm starting to pick it up too! That and "mate," lol.

More often than not, I more or less randomly use English words that I see most often, so my poor English may sound at best phonetically (often involuntarily) quite varied, and at worst rather rambling héhéhé. My diction is way better written than spoken so enjoy!
I like very much No Words/No Thoughts, so I'll keep an eye on this. Pos'd