Weezer
Pinkerton

by februarystars57 USER (5 Reviews)
April 19th, 2010 | 46 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brilliant second album from the kings of guitar heavy pop music.

When I first heard Weezer (of course Buddy Holly was the first song I heard) I thought of Weezer as a little of a novelty band, as many probably have, until I dug a little deeper, purchased their wonderful self titled debut album, and realised the immediacy of this feel good, summer / pop rock songs.

Weezer are a band I have begun to appreciate a lot more in the last year or so, for the ingenious way of writing simple catchy pop songs, yet staying true to their art, which leads me to review their excellent second album, Pinkerton. I bought this album about 4 weeks ago, and have been listening to it nearly every day on the way to work.

Pinkerton doesn't exactly follow suit, but doesn't deviate from Weezer's formula of pop music and song craft, but delves somewhere a little darker than previous. Themes of negative self analysis seem consistent throughout, but somehow with a positive light at the end of the tunnel attitude. The guitars certainly retain there power, with a darker twinge on them, and the hooks aren't quite as immediate as their first album. However, stick with it, and you will unearth pop gems in the form of Getchoo, Good Life, El Scorcho and Pink Triangle. They stick to their sledgehammer attack of powerful guitars on all but the last track, which is a heartfelt acoustic number, Butterfly, to which their seems to be a certain honesty which Rivers never quite puts across on the rest of the album (planting the seed in your mind, wondering what he is referring to).

Pinkerton certainly was a brilliant answer to their first album, dirtier, messier, yet just just as sharp and catchy and was a cry from the nerdy Rivers Cuomo for respectability, as he has developed a lot as a songwriter on this album. If you don't own any Weezer albums don't start with this one, start with debut Blue album. This should definitely be the next stop, and is arguably the better album.

4.4

Crymsonblaze
April 19th 2010

Needs a little editing. Rivers Cuomo isn't capitalized in the last album.

"The guitars certainly retain there power"

There should be their.

Otherwise good review. Pos'd. First and last tracks are the best with a lot of good stuff in between, minus Getchoo, I don't really like that one.

focksy

cool

JWT155
April 19th 2010

Next to last sentence is missing the word "own". Otherwise nicely done.

April 19th 2010

one review a day, or you get gang raped, thats the rule

hoipolloi
April 19th 2010

decent review, i love this album and its definitley better than blue, this is the angus grade weezer album imo

asaf
April 19th 2010

i got into the blue album when i was in elementary school. i bought this follow-up as soon as it came out at target and couldnt stand it. went back a few years later still didnt get it. here i am at 24 and i still don't understand this album.

PearlDrummer20
April 19th 2010

nice review, but in the summery you should say 'former kings of guitar heavy pop music', they kinda fucked up after Green (which isn't that horrible, compared to Red or Ratitude).

hando

best ever

March_Of_Sand
April 19th 2010

I have a hard time picking which I like better, this or blue.

Ire

41945 Comments

Love this album so much.

I have the original vinyl up on my wall.

April 20th 2010

Ugh. You don't rate this a 4.5.

You either rate it 5, 4, or 3 and below.

Klekticist

^lolwut

quite concise. pos'd

April 20th 2010

Well it's like this. A 4.5 imply that it's pretty much a great record with either minimal flaws or just not hard-hitting enough to be classic. A 4 is understandable, seeing as while you enjoy the music and can appreciate the theme, it's awkwardness and excessive diddle-daddlying(see: feedback and bullshit) get grating enough to bring down the rating. The most notable "flaws" are not minimal enough to make it a 4.5, and if you enjoy this record more than a 4 would suggest, it would be a 5, for it is too precise and specific in it's conceptual and musical existence to be a 4.5(aka a record that is pretty much really good, but not a 5 due to it's lack of personal connection((keyword="obscurity)). A 3.5 suggests that while it's an enjoyable record, one major aspect of it is lacking and ultimately brings down the enjoyability and repetitive listening factors of the album. Either that or the album, while decent, just isn't memorable and isn't consistent or enjoyable enough to be in the 4 and above range. This wouldn't make sense, because Pinkerton doesn't have one major component that brings down the record. Every aspect of it is pretty much cohesive with it's sillyness and flaws, and if somebody completely discarded and didn't enjoy specific parts of the album(the concept, the genre of music, the sillyness), they are too big to let the record be of the enjoyableness of a 3.5 rating and ultimately would bring the album down by a larger portion. The album is essentially not obscure enough to be a 3.5. A 3 pretty much means that while the album is ok and some of the songs are pretty great, the general music and concept and everything isn't enjoyable and borders on "ok" some of the time. This is the case with many people and this album. I don't really have to explain anything under. And the reason as to why this is a 5 is obvious.

Of course that's all bullshit babbling, but there is my explanation

April 20th 2010

dude are you fucking high

who are you to define what the ratings "mean"

April 20th 2010

Lol. A little bit. Calm down, it's just me speculating and babbling. I'm just sort of reflecting on how I've subconsciously viewed them. Would you have preferred it if I wrote "in my opinion" at the end of everything?

In case you couldn't tell by the last sentence in the big comment, it wasn't that serious.

hoipolloi
April 20th 2010

lol i kinda like enotrons system, though i have personal philosophical differences, i can appreciate his ideas and i get it, but i still give this record a 4.5 haha

April 20th 2010

I'm not actually ANGRY at you or anything, maybe my comment seemed like that but i'm just disagreeing with you.

you fucking ASSHOLE

April 20th 2010

You know I have a theory that when you are passionate about something, it is natural that you speak of your opinions and thoughts about it as fact, while acknowledging from the get-go that they aren't. It's done often on sputnik, as it is a site of people who are passionate about music.

WeepingBanana
April 20th 2010

every few years when rivers decides to put out another heaping file of shit i tend to just sit in my room and put this on repeat.

across the sea and tired of sex are the best on here

Eclectic
April 20th 2010

Good review, just add a little more detail. Having said that, you've actually done a great job in a really short amount of space, so I pos'd.

Album is some good shite.