Darkthrone

poor

by Kyle Ward EMERITUS
December 21st, 2008 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

For those familiar with Darkthrone’s last soon-to-be beverage coaster F.O.A.D., you probably have a fairly good idea of what Dark Thrones And Black Flags is all about. At the time, I did not. So, imagine my surprise as “The Winds They Called The Dungeon Shaker” goes from decent (the opening riff) to unexpectedly vomit-inducing (the remainder of the song). Aside from an interesting guitar riff, the song is basically a joke, something which can be said about pretty much any other track on the album. The entire album follows the same formula of terrible, cliche, almost jokingly bad song titles (“Hiking Metal Punks” wtf"!) to reverb-laden chanting and absolutely awful, off-key clean vocals. Thankfully, there are the guitars, which remain noticeably black metal inspired while still veering off in the direction Fenriz and Nocturno Culto have taken their music. It pretty much fits both ways.

The riffs can be deceiving, though, as I mentioned earlier with the reference to the lead in “The Winds They Called The Dungeon Shaker”, which appears to be that of their older black metal days with just a hint of cohesiveness and melody. The production may be the reason these riffs sound different than the rest of the song, because Darkthrone have retained their tradition of ***ty production, as said in the album liner “Mixed and hard(ly) produced by Nocturno Culto…”. Don’t let the simplistic drumming and terrible production fool you, though, since Darkthrone play a style of music which pays homage to such genres as punk, NWOBHM, and speed metal, influences which are evident in most of the tracks, but none more apparent than “Hanging Out In Haiger”, which features short-lived but lively solos and chugging riff wankery and vocals which remind me a bit of Motorhead, except even more off-key and with worse production.

These small moments of (unintentional) humor are cast aside by the embarrassment which is basically the entire rest of the album. There are seemingly benign attempts at black metal with “Grizzly Trade” and the instrumental title track “Dark Thrones And Black Flags”, but all in all it amounts to nothing more than the realization that our pals Ted Skjellum and the ever-ostentatious Gylve Nagell simply have little to nothing creative left inside them, save a few catchy guitar riffs (see “Hiking Metal Punks” for some melodic, semi-interesting riffing). When it comes down to it, though, it’s tough to look at Darkthrone and not tell them to either stop creating music altogether or to disband Darkthrone and reform as some underground crust punk band, perhaps named “Winter Norwegian Camping Trip” or something idiotic like that, because after listening to Dark Thrones And Black Flags you will leave with nothing but disappointment and a loss of respect for what Darkthrone achieved in the past, solely because of where they are now.

Kauan KaihoInsomnium Winter's Gate
Be'lakor VesselsNovembre Ursa
Swallow the Sun Songs From The North I, II & IIIKauan Sorni Nai
2.9
good
Anodyne (2.5)
"The Fenriz attitude: 20% John McEnroe, 20% Jello Biafra, 20% Lemmy, 20% King Diamond, 20% Larry Dav...

south_of_heaven 11
December 21st 2008

Don't go into new Darkthrone expecting old Darkthrone.

New Darkthrone I enjoy more anyway.

Album is good. Just kind of repetitive. FOAD was better.

Crysis
December 21st 2008

I hadn't really heard much new Darkthrone going into this. I knew it was different but I didn't know it was like this. I agree this album is repetitive, but I think this is better than FOAD.

Commortus
December 21st 2008

changed my neg vote to a pos
there's no reason to neg this review even though it is a little bland to read.

Wizard

20201 Comments

Review was excellent.

And to reinstate what I've said in the past about Darkthrone's new stuff, I don't give a flying fuck if they pay homage to their influences, its all been done before. Repetitious ideas = nothing new and therefore is rehash. Darkthrone suck the big one.

magictikkleCwicked
December 22nd 2008

Yes ikarus, I have been to this site quite a few times before, though I don't see what that has to do with elitism.

Hawks
December 22nd 2008

Really good review Crysis. I've only heard Hiking Metal Punks from this album and I'm keeping it that way. After FOAD I don't think I could take another album like that. Darkthrone should really just throw in the towel now.

Digging: Senses Fail - Life Is Not a Waiting Room

bastard

oh no crust punk!

Bleak123

1900 Comments

lol

Essence
December 22nd 2008

dude that fonts not big enough

Bleak123

December 16th 2013

hail the necros rising

cloudnx
December 24th 2013

Can't they have fun playing music? No sense in being stuck up and frosty your whole life.

linguist2011
January 15th 2014

Better than their last album but still pretty average for me. The first two songs are definite highlights of the album whereas everything else is more or less mediocre.

Digging: Evoken - Hypnagogia

pissbore
January 15th 2014

let it sink in more theres some serious gold on here

great fuckin album

NeroCorleone80
February 18th 2014

Great shit

Digging: G Herbo - Humble Beast

pachubatinath
February 25th 2014

Agree with some, not the trainwreck everyone here is making it out to be but not the revelatory classic that previous albums were. Shock, a band didn't keep making progressively better albums in narrow-by-design style but did something different.

NeroCorleone80