The Virgins break up2013-11-13 by iGuter | 6 Comments
|New York's indie rock band, The Virgins, have announced that they are splitting after 7 |
years together and have cancelled their upcoming European tour in 2014. Lead singer,
Donald Cumming, addressed the break up stating:
“There’s nothing I’d hoped to do with The Virgins that we haven’t done. Its been an
incredible experience and I want to thank everyone who was a part of it, but now it’s time
to move on. I’ll see you in my dreams.”
The band started in 2006 and debuted their EP of early recordings Donald put together
mostly himself. The EP quickly got in the hands of Atlantic Records and signed
them before the band was fully formed. The Virgins debuted with their Self Titled
album in 2008, while gaining notoriety for the song "Rich Girls" which made it on to
Rolling Stone's 100 Best Songs of 2008. After much touring, the band had been silent for
a couple of years but came back on the radar with Donald Cumming stating that they had
signed on to Julian Casablanca's label Cult Records. The band released their first
studio album in 5 years in March of this year called Strike Gently and toured with
Donald Cumming has spoke out on his feelings about being in The Virgins at his age with
"I was a young guy and wanted to be in a band and it was great, but I don't feel that
way anymore. I'm an adult now and I think there's something really unsettling about a
grown man walking around pretending to be a teenager."
He also talked about his upcoming solo album that he will be working on soon:
"I just want to keep doing new things," he says. "I was really proud of the last record
and it's a great feeling to end the band in a place where I'm really happy. I don't know
what the next thing would be except to try something I have never done before."
Tagged: The Virgins
• Michael Gira Accused of Rape
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• The Story So Far's vocalist dropk..
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Brand new Brand New Single
• Rush drummer retires
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• Deftones stream new single
• Riverside guitarist dies
• City of Caterpillar Announce Reun..
• Danny Worsnop returns to AA
• Frank Iero stream "Oceans"
• New Busted live video
• Auroch streaming Mute Books
• Earth Moves Tell The Truth
• New Khamsin Album
• Tommy '86 debuts track/video
• New Lamb of God single/EP
• Finch disband 
• Dead When I Found Her post new so..
• Eminem drops new track; disses Tr..
• Porter Robinson/Madeon collab on ..
• Speak the Truth's Debut Single
• Overkill stream new lyric video
» see all news