200 Stab Wounds
Manual Manic Procedures

Release Date: 06/28/2024 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What's that smell????

The new(ish) fad in death metal of injecting a hardcore attitude, breakdowns and an overall crusty feeling has been a mixed bag to say the least. It sounds like a cool concept but if not done correctly can come off as boring chugging with no substance. Gatecreeper’s new album comes to mind when it comes to a downright drab mixture of said genres. 200 Stab Wounds was on their way down that road. Their debut was decent but ultimately fell into the same traps of being “fun” with little substance. Traps that bands like Creeping Death and PeelingFlesh seem intent on avoiding while mashing death metal brutality with the emotion and energy of hardcore. Manual Manic Procedures shows a band displaying growth in every possible way.

200 Stab Wounds maintain their crusty hardcore-esque production values but the main difference is in the sheer riffage that this album presents. It’s mostly a mid paced affair, same as the debut, but there is no mindless chugging present here. Manual Manic Procedures is almost melodeath in nature, with a plethora of catchy riffs that will live in your head for days on end. I don’t know how the writing process went for these guys, but my guess is they were heavily influenced by bands like Cannibal Corpse and At the Gates. The subtle intricacies of the melody tinged chords mixed with the sludgey production, tight drumming and phlegm inducing vocals is a recipe for success.

Sophomore albums can either show bands expanding on their sound or failing to live up to expectations after a great debut. The former is true of Manual Manic Procedures. 200 Stab Wounds have cut all of the fat from their sound and honed in on what can make them a great death metal band. This album is equipped with a muddy atmosphere and melodic buzzsaw riffs aplenty. If you like riffs, you’ll like Manual Manic Procedures.

Wormed OmegonJohn Coltrane Kulu Se Mama
Mississippi John Hurt The Original 1928 RecordingsChief Keef Almighty So 2
Beth Gibbons Lives OutgrownSummoning Minas Morgul

July 6th 2024

Album rules/needed a thread BAD.

July 6th 2024

Great album agreed Hawks.

jrlikestodance

Shit rips. Pit certified

Futures
July 6th 2024

nice hawks. i thought this was fun as hell just a bit chuggy for me. first two tracks are by far my favorite, especially the first. trails off a bit towards the end.

July 6th 2024

Really??? I think they cut way back on the chugs for this one. Still some but just good ole fashioned midpaced dm!

artificialbox

2063 Comments

Nice one dawg.

It's funny when I first heard this album I was NOT expecting the Jami Morgan feature at all. I was like "why tf does this guy sound like the Code Orange vocalist all of a sudden" and then checked the tracklist and was like OH.

slikphuk
July 6th 2024

just gave this a spin and its a fuckin banger m//

July 6th 2024

Hell yeah Art bro his feature is cool lol. Slik yes indeed it is!

dachstheangry
July 7th 2024

Perfect album for the gym.

Hell yeah.

evilford

Sweet pos'd

Love u!

canczar

Shit fucking rips

July 7th 2024

Very hard. Borderline 4.5 tbh.

canczar

I can agree with that

Very high replay value.

Jurtz
July 8th 2024

Will czech this asap

July 9th 2024

Get on it hard Jurtz bro you should love this.

Jurtz
July 9th 2024

Audible clanky bass guitar is always a delight

The production is lovely

evilford
July 9th 2024

Hawks the ghost negs continue to haunt u

The silent plebes hiding out behind the keyboard in their parents' basement

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US