Bathe Alone
I Don't Do Humidity

by jesper STAFF
June 9th, 2024 | 12 replies

Release Date: 06/07/2024 | Tracklist

Review Summary: how's it feel to survive?

Bathe Alone’s rise is easily one of the most heartwarming stories in present-day drem. From finding the wonderful and quintessential lockdown-core debut Last Looks in the crevices of Bandcamp to seeing last year’s “Some Things Never Change” work its way into Spotify’s playlist-limelight and cracking fourteen millions streams on the platform, I can’t think of a more well-deserved success story.

The very best part of this story is that Bathe Alone’s music has been consistently excellent since the project’s inception: sure, the fresh I Don’t Do Humidity is a little less gazed out than what came before, but it’s every bit as wistful and heartfelt. From the opening notes of “Lake Sympathy”, it’s clear that this album traces its soft indie pop hooks with delicate dreamy textures. Some cuts are straightforward and boast catchy choruses - look no further than the bouncy “Blame Me” and “Victims” - but keep their imaginative dance floors squarely in the bedroom. Other moments opt for more explicitly understated, contemplative atmospheres: the easy-to-overlook “Caramelize” actually features some of the most imaginative and downright gorgeous melodies of the entire album, while late-album highlight “Call Me Back” is hypnotic in all its wonderful simplicity. The record's constant back-and-forth between these two modus operandi works incredibly well: as soon as a song captures your attention with its enthralling melodies and bouncy patterns, the next is allowed a little more time and space to work its way into your brain while cruising on sheer prettiness.

As a whole, I Don’t Do Humidity is a tad overlong - but it’s hard not to be blissing tf out while bopping along ever so gently during its runtime. The album hits a delightful sweet spot few projects truly accomplish: it is every bit as floaty as it is down to earth. Each acoustic strum complements and compliments each synth (seriously, try and get “4ever”s wonderful melody out of your head) in a delightful endless cycle of ethereal properties, while Bailey Crone’s voice remains a perfect fit for transforming deceptively dark lyrical sentiments into all things hazy and shimmery. Moreover, June is the perfect time for new Bathe Alone: the summer’s right around the corner, and even if the world is as awful of a place as it’s ever been, this record can provide that little bit of light, that tiny sliver of relaxation we all need and, frankly, deserve.

DIIV Frog In Boiling WaterGraywave Dancing in the Dust
Bring Me The Horizon POST HUMAN: NeX GEnKnocked Loose You Won't Go Before You're Supposed To
Bladee Cold VisionsYou Wish Lathe

Last Looks

JesperL
June 9th 2024

didn't touch upon it too much in the rev but the lyrics here are worth digging into, they get p intense dark at points (dreamboy is a srs contender for the darkest happiest-sounding soty)

anyway album great hell yea

budgie
June 9th 2024

nice i justrealized this had come out only yesterday, gonna get around to it tomorrow. good stuff jespie!!!

June 10th 2024

Just checked Dreamboy, so good! Looking forward to the rest

JesperL
June 11th 2024

hell yeah budgie/jash!!

Wildcardbitchesss
June 13th 2024

this is some good shit, never thought I’d be jamming this kinda music but there’s some pop that can really dig its hooks in me.

Only listened once but I’m excited to spin it again and take a closer look at the lyrics.

kevbogz
June 13th 2024

lots of meh in here unfort

budgie
June 13th 2024

you should check the dream pop list i just put up wildcard it has a LOT of stuff like bathe alone

ToSmokMuzyki

anyone wanna bathe together

Wildcardbitchesss

Will do budge!

June 15th 2024

I’m 3/4 through and falling in love with this

neekafat
June 15th 2024

really dug last years release but this one just ain't doing it for me ):

June 16th 2024

Thank you so much for putting this on my radar, easily one of my fav’s from this year so far

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US