Cocteau Twins
Love's Easy Tears

good

by bigbruddahbuddha USER (4 Reviews)
March 5th, 2024 | 20 replies

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Dream Lost in Distortion

Cocteau Twins' 1986 EP, "Love's Easy Tears," arrives wrapped in gauzy nostalgia, lauded as a bridge between their earlier, more accessible sound and their later, inscrutable shoegaze explorations. But nostalgia is a poor substitute for critical examination. Let's pierce the haze and see what truly lies beneath.

Melody Missing In Action: Gone are the delicate, folk-infused melodies of "Treasure." "Love's Easy Tears" throws melody out the window, opting for an unrelenting wall of distorted guitars that drowns out any semblance of a tune. Fraser's once-ethereal vocals become indistinguishable, swallowed whole by sonic sludge. This isn't sonic exploration, it's sonic obfuscation.

Loud Doesn't Equal Profound: Proponents hail the EP's "intensity" and "emotional depth." Intensity, yes. Depth? Questionable. The sheer volume creates a superficial sense of power, but lacks the nuance and emotional resonance found in their earlier work. It's akin to mistaking yelling for passion – loud doesn't equate to profound.

Cocteau Twins are usually purveyors of ethereal beauty. "Love's Easy Tears" throws that beauty into a distortion pedal and leaves the listener with a headache and a sense of confusion. This may be lauded as a classic by some, but for those seeking genuine emotional connection, it's ultimately a frustrating and unsatisfying listen.

JohnnyoftheWell

...what

Winesburgohio
March 6th 2024

honestly thought i was gonna come first time i heard Sigh's Smell of Farewell 2:17ish onwards

Havey
March 6th 2024

listened to head over heels the other day and damn that was so much weaker than i'd recalled, thank god they "sacrificed" whatever that was "at the altar of sonic experimentation" (whatever this means)

Colton
March 6th 2024

review reads like you listened to 4 minutes of this after never having heard cocteau twins in your life

Trifolium

EP is excellent.

March 7th 2024

Hmm, I'm a little confused here...

Is this Love's Easy Tears or did I take the wrong turn?

T/T is wonderful 🥰

I definitely prefer this and Aikea-Guinea to a few of their full-lengths. I’m sensing bumps on the horizon

robertsona

this is the review

ArsMoriendi
May 29th 2024

Its good but its no Treasure

May 29th 2024

prob my favorite release of theirs

bighubbabuddha
May 29th 2024

nothing wrong with this review

May 29th 2024

“Its good but its no Treasure”

that one / Vegas are safe as houses but I could justify giving 3rd place to a lean wholesome machine (such as this fine example).

June 29th 2024

jk lullabies to violaine vol. 1 is probably their best release all in all. didnt know it existed until recently but it has most of my all-time favorite songs by the twins

JohnnyoftheWell
June 29th 2024

Their EPs in general have some really great stuff, but not nearly the same hit rate as their best albums imo. This is one of the better ones, but Victorialand or BBK still have the third slot of the podium on lock between them

June 29th 2024

probably true in terms of hit rate, i think bbk and holv are their most consistent but the fact that we can be blessed with

feather oar blades

the spangle maker

from the flagstones

pearly dewdrops drops

this whole EP

sugar hiccup

iceblink luck

aikea guinea

etc. on the same release is very nice. very few missteps in the bunch honestly, even if it is slightly less consistent than some of their LPs

June 29th 2024

probably an unfair fight but w/e

i spurn the slavish LP acolytes!

Trifolium
June 29th 2024

Oooooh yeah I love Lullabies so much. A 100% worthwhile collection, so many fantastic EPs!!!

June 29th 2024

I now love this more than the majority of their LPs tbh

Colton
June 29th 2024

I no longer think this is their best, because HOLV is just such a masterpiece. but it's probably this second and then BBK third

zakalwe
July 10th 2024

Those Eyes, That Mouth, This amazing tune.

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US