Dad Hats
Spill

by Mike K. CONTRIBUTOR (37 Reviews)
March 6th, 2023 | 17 replies

Release Date: 02/17/2023 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Spill your guts.

Welcome to Spill, the sophomore LP by the very pop-punk named Dad Hats. Yes, it’s a pop-punk record. No, it’s not awful. In fact, it was actually a surprisingly fun listen with the sort of sincerity that is oft absent from modern day pop-punk.

It’s a bit hard to write this without shooting holes through all of the different pop-punk tropes that are present. It’s all been said and done. The catchy hooks, angst-ridden (and sometimes terrible) lyrics, somewhat simplistic instrumentation, yeah, yeah, whatever. I could spend paragraphs pointing out the flaws of this album but it would be almost like pointing out the flaws that have developed in the genre. You probably pretty much know what the basic problems are without even having to listen to it.

What makes this album good, though? What does it possibly have that makes it a unique drop of water in the ocean? Most immediately is the fact that it balances the typical sugary aesthetic with a more raw approach. There is a tongue-in-cheek flippancy about their music that eschews the usual. It’s practically gushing with springtime vibes and bouncy energy while still being rooted in the unforgivingly harsh reality that is life. The subject matters throughout Spill are somewhat typical but rather than taking themselves so seriously, there is a bit of a black humor laced throughout, with lines like:

“Should clean the house
“Should change my name
“But I’m thirty-one and still the same
“I still look every time
“Can’t ever help it
“I’m Pavlov’s dog y’all”

and

“I’ve never really suffered real loss
“The kind that follows you home
“And sits right behind you
“Making pots go to sleep”

The on and off goofy song titles and summery energy by the band belies the bleak undertone of the record, with Craig Turner pouring his heart out while simultaneously taking cracks at the myriad problems of life like unfaithfulness, heartbreak, alcohol abuse, loss, and so on.

Further, it isn’t all just corny guitar lines and massive hooks. The guitar work throughout the album has a tendency to defy what would be normally expected, with a large portion of the record using a Telecaster-like twang to offset the generic pop-punk aesthetic. The largely audible bass adds depth to the mix, while the drums have a uniquely vintage sound, adding an echoing, chunky feel to the songwriting that (when utilized correctly) creates as much of a haunting atmosphere as it evokes fun.

“Lake Song” and “Life in the Back Seat” (both found at the end of the record) are two of the more prevalent examples of what I’m talking about, and I found that as I continued going through, I liked it more. The album gets stronger as it nears the end, and wraps up with the melancholy “Super Bowl Sunday,” the slowest, and probably the prettiest, song on the album.

So while I’m not emotionally stuck to it and it’s not the next best thing to arrive to the pop-punk scene, Spill is an album worth listening to. It’s charming humor, unique execution, and sometimes brutal honesty are far more than what I’m usually going to get from pop-punk, and it’s nice to see a band try to breathe some life back into genre.

Ov Sulfur The Burden Ov FaithYamandu Costa De Vida y Vuelta

Exul

Death Below

Memento Mori

March 6th 2023

Really enjoyed this. I like new pop punk that doesn’t make me want to die.

PumpBoffBag
March 6th 2023

lol^ relateable

Really great write-up man

rafalafa

Why they sound like if Fall Out Boy was a college radio station

Odal
March 7th 2023

This is pretty fun two songs in

March 7th 2023

Yeah it was a good time for sure! Thanks for stopping by y’all

SteakByrnes
March 7th 2023

Manatea review! And a good one at that! I will check this

Steak!! I think you’ll enjoy

tyman128
March 7th 2023

Some fun stuff on here, can definitely see a lot of these melodies getting stuck in my head

As always, a great read from you!

March 8th 2023

Thanks man! Yeah it’s still growing on me honestly. Really liking this.

MCJACKDAHL
March 8th 2023

Cool band

March 13th 2023

this is some solid stuff!

thx for reviewing as otherwise I'd have no idea about this

March 14th 2023

My pleasure friend!

March 16th 2023

Life in the Backseat is so killer, love that guitar

StephenWolf
March 16th 2023

Great review and thanks for drawing attention to this, as I would have never heard of it otherwise, as another poster said above. This struck a big enough chord with me to buy the vinyl off their bandcamp (they’ve got six left).

MarsKid
March 17th 2023

This was fun!

March 17th 2023

Glad you liked it MarsBro!

Also @Atari, I checked out their first album and it also is really good. Kinda glad I could give these guys some recognition and exposure

March 20th 2023

^hell yeah. still waiting for someone to add their debut to the database since I'm lazy

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US