Genesis
Wind & Wuthering

by e210013 USER (259 Reviews)
January 30th, 2023 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Perhaps the last essential album of Genesis. A wortly successor of the previous one.

“Wind And Wuthering” is the eighth studio album of Genesis and that was released in 1976, like their seventh studio work “A Trick Of The Tail”. The line up on the album is Phil Collins, Steve Hackett, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford.

“Wind And Wuthering” is another studio album of Genesis that closes one more musical cycle in the life of this great band. This is the album that closes the Steve Hackett’s cycle. Hackett left the group in 1977 after their acclaimed second live album “Seconds Out” released in 1977, which became his final release with Genesis. Once again, the band decided not to replace the lack of another band’s member. So, Mike Rutherford took the guitar and bass duties in the studio. During their live performances, he alternated guitar and bass duties with the American session musician Daryl Stuermer, which became with Chester Thompson a permanent live band’s member. This represents also a landmark in Genesis’ career, because for many fans, “Wind And Wuthering” represents the last truly great and prog album of them.

“A Trick Of The Tail” marked Genesis’ first album without Peter Gabriel, and first with Collins at the vocal helm. “Wind & Wuthering” sees the band even more settled into their new habitat, with Collins sounding more at home with his new role and the band writing very lush, complex, and mysterious progressive rock material, in what is arguably their final and really progressive release, save in some moments on the follow-up releases, especially on “...And Then There Were Three...”. Unfortunately, and as I mentioned above, “Wind & Wuthering” also marks guitarist Hackett’s finale with the band before he moved on to his solo career. Fortunately, it also happens to have some of his best guitar playing and largest amount of written contributions of any of the albums with Genesis. There are some stunning pieces on this one that warrant this album being included on Genesis’ greatest releases. Banks’ efforts to dominate resulted this album turned out too much keyboard-oriented in comparison to “A Trick Of The Tail”. On here, guitarist Hackett accompanied keyboardist Banks more often than happened previously. No wonder this is one of Banks’ favourite Genesis albums.

“Wind And Wuthering” has nine tracks. “Eleventh Earl Of Mar” is a typical Genesis opening. It’s a complex song written in Genesis’ style. It’s a kind of a return to their musical roots. “One For The Vine” is a song, different from the previous one but with the same quality. It’s a melodic song with rich arrangements combining several styles. It’s one of the best and most beautiful compositions written by Banks. “Your Own Special Way” is the weakest track on the album. Despite have been written by Rutherford, it looks like more a song written by Collins. Despite be a very good ballad, is like the title track of “A Trick Of The Tail”. Both are of inferior quality level. “Wot Gorilla?” is an instrumental, the smallest song on the album. It’s a great instrumental track which gives to each member a chance to show their skills. It reminds me how great and brilliant these guys are. “All In A Mouse’s Night” is one of their most interesting songs, one of my favourites too. It’s a complex song with a great combination of high and low parts. It has also delightful lyrics. “Blood On The Rooftops” is another fantastic song, one of the best songs co-written by Collins on Genesis. It has a beautiful classical guitar introduction accompanied by Mellotron and the melodious Collins’ voice. It’s a very English beautiful and melancholic song with satirical lyrics. “Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers…” and “…In That Quiet Earth” are only a single piece. It was only split because of its copyrights. It’s a fantastic and energetic instrumental, one of the favourite songs of the fans and it’s one of my favourites too. It’s an instrumental in the same vein of “Los Endos” of “A Trick Of The Tail”. “Afterglow” is the grand final for the album. It’s one of the most majestic pieces written by Banks. So, no wonder that this is for him one of his favourite Genesis’ pieces. “Afterglow” is the atmospheric, relaxing and magical moment on the album. It’s the third and final part of three fantastic pieces that close the album in a striking atmosphere.

Conclusion: “Wind And Wuthering” always was one of my favourite Genesis’ albums. It’s one of the most complexes, progressive and beautiful albums of Genesis. Unfortunately, it’s the last studio album with the participation of Hackett, which would prove to be fatal for the end of the progressive music in Genesis. “Wind And Wuthering” is also the last really great work of the band, and surely it wasn’t irrelevant the presence of Hackett on the album. If we compare “Wind And Wuthering” with “A Trick Of The Tail” we will realise that “Wind And Wuthering” is probably better arranged, less romantic and less gentle than its predecessor. With the last notes of “Afterglow” ends a wonderful book that began with the words “Looking For Someone” on “Trespass”, and panned seven years full of glorious tales. Soon enough, the remaining trio would already to seal the story with pop music with good quality and sometimes, with a touch of prog. However, it never was the same. They achieved a lot of success in their career, but prog was almost dead from now on.

Music was my first love.
John Miles (Rebel)

Supersister Present from NancyKansas Masque
Horslips The TáinCaravan In the Land of Grey and Pink
Golden Earring Golden EarringTangerine Dream Phaedra
pulseczar (3.5)

Nagrarok (3.5)
Before ending up as a trio, Genesis put out their final progressive record....

IlGagario (4)
The most ambitious album of Genesis’ quartet era, but still struggling in the delivery of pop song...

January 30th 2023

Wind And Wuthering represents a landmark in Genesis career. It's the second studio album of the band without Peter Gabriel and the last with Steve Hackett. It's also, for many, the last great studio album of Genesis and the last true prog work from them.

Anyway, as we agree with it or not, what is true is that Wind And Wuthering is another remarkable album of Genesis, a great follower to their previous one A Trick Of Tail, an album with a bucolic and driming atmosphere, one of their most beautiful works. With this album, Hackett left Genesis in a great style.

Enjoy it.

Zig
January 30th 2023

band should have broken up with Hackett's departure. Collins just ruined it all afterwards.

really need to have the time to do a Genesis marathon starting with their debut until this one.

January 30th 2023

I can agree with you, despite there are some nice moments on their following works, but it never was the same, really. Collins is a good pop writer, but he ruined Genesis as a prog band.

Of course, we need to consider that at the time, those were very difficult times for prog due to the punk movement and the new wave. We saw the same happened in many other great prog bands, such as, for instance, Yes, Gentle Giant and ELP. By the other hand, VDGG, cessed to exist.

Nice idea Zig, to do a marathon beginning with Trespass and ending with this one. Do that, amigo. It will be cool.

hel9000
January 30th 2023

this one took a little while to click (not uncommon for Genesis) but yeah it rules. ending run of songs is very strong in particular, like you say.

the quartet era was really unique. i'll go to bat for ATTW3 being a reasonably similar, solid follow-up to this but can understand when people say this is their last really worthwhile album (even if I'd disagree).

Brabiz
January 30th 2023

Hot take, Duke is essential, not this

Jethro42
January 30th 2023

I can't imagine what it would be like if And Then There Were Three and Duke had on board Steve Hackett. It would be masterful, deeper with lots of variations. A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering surely contain leftovers of Gabriel era. I could imagine Gabriel singing in many songs of the quatuor era. The quatuor is pretty much what Genesis would sound like if they still worked in the classic lineup. You have to like the quatuor if you like Genesis' classic era. Genesis is the best band in the world, including all the eras.

Good review, dude!

January 31st 2023

I've a very personal opinion about ATTW3. Particularly I love it. Isn't as good as this one, but it still sounds to me to the good old Genesis, despite its short tracks.

I'm going to publish a review about it in next monday. You'll see more in detail my opinion then, hel.

January 31st 2023

I disagree, Brabiz. Despite it's a good album, it has very few to do with the old prog sound of the band. Duke was my first real deception with them. Genesis is one of my favourite prog bands ever, if not the first one. Duke represents the real beginning of Collins pop era on Genesis, and not the previous one work, ATTW3. Still, Duke is the best work of Genesis in Collins era.

January 31st 2023

I agree with you, Jethro. They would be certainly much better works. It probably would be the second golden era of Genesis. Besides, as I usually mention, Hackett and Banks are and always were my favourite Genesis members. It was really a pity that Hackett never have had space enough in the band as a composer. Both, Hackett and Banks as a duo of composers would have been simply perfect.

Jethro42
January 31st 2023

Good point, e21, about Hackett and his narrow space as a composer. I forgot that fact. I think Tony Banks was responsible of that conflict, since he was the ''boss'' of the band.

Helentroy
February 1st 2023

Nice work. I put in my list the other albums of the band.

February 1st 2023

Nice. Do that Helen. There are many great tracks on the most of their works. Thanks.

TheIntruder
February 1st 2023

Thanks for reminding me of this album e21. Only now I see I did not rated it yet. I am going to check it later and read your review then.

February 1st 2023

No problem Intruder, be my guest. It's always time to check great music.

TheIntruder
February 3rd 2023

A great follower from A Trick of the Tail. Great album and great review. Besides this deserved a better rating. Pos.

February 3rd 2023

"A great follower from A Trick of the Tail."

"Besides this deserved a better rating."

I absolutely agree. It deserved a review with a better rating, indeed.

Thanks pal.

sonictheplumber

excellent album

sonictheplumber
February 3rd 2023

when i was 15/16 first falling in love with this band i hated anything after this album. as i soften with age and my testosterone decreases i now think duke is a great album and abacab is pretty damn solid as well for what it is. but this is the last true hurrah of the prog era unless you count duke's masterpiece duke's travels/dukes end

Koris

Really nice to see a 4.5 review for this. W&W is in my top 5 Genesis records :]

February 6th 2023

In my case, I never hated anything after this album, especially And Then There Were Three, sonic. Still, I agree with you, that this is the last really true hurrah of their prog era.

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US