Rage
Secrets In A Weird World

good

by TheCrow USER (24 Reviews)
December 8th, 2022 | 1 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After the stupendous "Perfect Man", Peavy Wagner, Chris Efthimiadis and Manni Schmidt returned to the fray shortly after with another worthwhile work!

Continuing their collaboration with the Noise label and the producer Armin Sabol, who already produced the band's previous album, here we have a record which for some reason doesn't sound as good as the previous one. Maybe lack of time, or money? Who knows. The mix of Efthimiadis's drums is not entirely good, leaving the snare hidden at times, apart from offering us a somewhat dirty drum sound, which is often confused with the bass.

But if we can ignore the subpar production, and regarding the style of the album, here we find Rage that is less focused on thrash metal and cool riffs, and more on speed, as happened in "Reign of Fear", but with an extra amount of melody, variety and compositional evolution that places it above the band's first albums, although in my opinion it falls short of the acclaimed "Perfect Man".

Another of the characteristics of this "Secrets in a Weird World" is the approach to power metal that was made here. Helloween were already having a very clear influence on the German metal scene, and on this album, this is evident in songs like Invisible Horizons and Talk to Grandpa, clear primigenial exponents of the genre.

In any case, this "Secrets in a Weird World" is an interesting record, which differs a bit stylistically from what was heard on "Perfect Man", but which in my opinion was a small step back in terms of quality and personality.

Also, the high pitches that Peavey insisted on singing early in his musical career were sounding too tired and artificial here. Would that change in the next "Reflections on a Shadow"? We'll see!

Best Tracks: Invisible Horizons (a hooky, well-executed power metal track), Light into Darkness (I really like the sinister opening melody, and the development of the rest of the song isn't bad either) and Without a Trace (a song with hints of progressive rock that brings back the experimentation of "Execution Guaranteed" and The Scaffold from “Reign of Fear”, but this time much better executed. I especially like the final part, which resembles the modern Rage)