Candiria
Process of Self-Development

by Mr. Pizza USER (426 Reviews)
November 23rd, 2022 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So extra cool. If coffee was music.

Crunchy guitars are in full, frontal swing. There is so much hard rock in your face that it seems to be a parody band. However, it is not. It is pure, unadulterated madness like dipping your toes in your neighbour’s gaping torso after gutting him with a chainsaw in the hopes of finding candy in his belly. Such music is the stuff of legends, and the legends foretold heavy, rap rock riffs would one day be this catchy. For once, they were right. There’s also a bit of saxophone, salsa, some hip-hop tidbits, and some hardcore music. Variety much? Quite. It makes Twelve Foot Ninja look like pretenders, but not quite because they also slap.

The heaviness within is so potent it speaks to one’s molecules. It gets in your system literally, but also your body, like drugs. It almost seems to be a live album because these guitars are chunkier than an old cookie. Also, the drums slap. The album is weird as Hell on another note. They will stop for an acid trip sound-alike and suddenly do harder riffs than before. But the curiosities continue! Time signatures will soar and confuse, and before you know it you wonder what the Hell you’re listening to. Nu-metal? Jazz? Alternative nu-jazzcore? Who the fuck knows, but it is more progressive than electing an ant as president.

This album is an acid trip for your ears, yet it also includes hard riffs, and therefore is better than any trip you’ve had. There’s also quite a dub motif, and perhaps some reggae influence? Certainly other things. Call it what you want, I call it fat beats with a bumpy, yet rhythmic flow. In addition you’ll find not-so-hidden extremely harsh vocals that riddle the beats with seismic bullets. Bon appétit!

Machine Girl U-Void SynthesizerMaggie Lindemann SuckerPunch
Machine Girl The Ugly ArtNSYNC Home for Christmas
Machine Girl GeminiVarious Artists Home Alone (On the Night Before Christmas)

FadedSun
November 23rd 2022

Nice to see a Candiria review for one of their old albums.

November 23rd 2022

This is only the beginning…

Storm In A Teacup
November 23rd 2022

Love to see it and a great review too. Epic band.

November 23rd 2022

They really are special as heck.

Mort.

20844 Comments

i really need to listen to this band properly. always been interested by what i hear

BitterJalapenoJr
November 23rd 2022

Nice work pizza. Maybe one day I'll manage to complete my review of 300 Percent Density.

November 23rd 2022

I find that one more difficult to review. :]

Butkuiss
November 23rd 2022

Album is a stone cold CLASSIC, the bars spit on this are insane

November 24th 2022

Yeah, they’re fire not gonna lie.

StrizzMatik
November 24th 2022

It is I who nuts to that

- me and this album

This band and record is and was way, wayyyyyy ahead of its time. I still think 300 is their crowning musical achievement but everything up to What Doesn't Kill You is autofire

Zac124
November 24th 2022

So this is prog metal, jazz fusion and hip hop? I'm going to have to listen to this.

November 25th 2022

It’s a bit of everything yeah. :]