Skalpel
Origins

by Trifolium USER (26 Reviews)
November 20th, 2022 | 30 replies

Release Date: 11/04/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Back to your origins? Why not jungle?

Skalpel’s origins lie in a land where Polish jazz samples from the 60s are seamlessly set to crisp hip-hop beats. No wonder that they were right at home on Ninja Tune. After all, we are speaking of the early 00s here. This was a time when fellow Ninjas such as The Cinematic Orchestra and Mr. Scruff were doing all kinds of things to jazz and electronic, and when a very famous Ninja ape first rose to fame. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Skalpel have always been a little sharper and a little colder than their label mates (What’s in a name? Insert silly ‘A scalpel would come in handy for cutting all those samples’-joke here). Speaking of what’s in a name: I do not think Origins delivers what its name seems to promise. Sure, a few jazz samples are used here and there, and of course always with Skalpel’s trademark precision style. But for the most part the duo does exactly the opposite of going back to their roots. They cover a lot of new ground on Origins. Gone is the flavour of café noir. There is drum and bass here! There is Breakbeat, and, dare I say it, even summery Balearic House.

Is this album bad, then? No! I would say it’s exactly the opposite of that too. It’s very good! By bringing their precise style to these new genres, Skalpel have created a lovely record that occasionally smells of jazzy samples, but which is firmly situated in the club. Why Not Jungle, the second track asks. After hearing Origins countless of times during the last couple of days, I would say, why not?

Minilogue BlommaNneka Love Supreme
Goncalo Almeida and Dirk Serries Live at OZO LANDClara Malaterre Points Cardinaux
Meat Beat Manifesto 99%Joana Serrat Hardcore from the Heart

November 20th 2022

Check it out. Buy it here https://nopaper.lnk.to/Origins

Mort.

20818 Comments

please hyphenate 'hip hop', thank you

JesperL

trifrev trifrev nice!!

i shall check this

Sinternet
November 20th 2022

oh wow completely forgot these guys existed

November 20th 2022

And are you happy I reminded you?

I hyphenated, thank you!

Hi Jesper we haven't met on Sput for ages I think that's why I've been a little sad all of these weeks!

Sinternet
November 20th 2022

haha maybe, the debut is fairly tidy iirc, maybe ill peep a track or two off this

November 20th 2022

Maybe check track number 2 or 4. Pretty smooth, certainly enjoyable.

I do prefer the first two, but still.

Underflow
November 21st 2022

If this keeps up this will be my favorite skalpel album in a while. Love the new direction so far.

November 21st 2022

Same! Although I did like Transit too.

dedex

11936 Comments

> Gone is the flavour of café noir. There is drum and bass here! There is Breakbeat, and, dare I say it, even summery Balearic House.

my man you know how to hype me up! cool lil rev btw 💖

November 21st 2022

Yippeeee dedex! I already thought this would work for you 🌞🎇😎

Number 2 is so NIIIICE! 💖

Nice and concise Trif!

first 3 Skalpel LPs have gotten a lot of attention from me over the last year or so (2 years? - time flies) so I will be checking this out

I am intrigued by this new direction you speak of

JesperL
November 21st 2022

i know it's been too long trif!! but i listened to a few minutes of this and it sounded cool, will return once i'm off this gaze cloud i'm inhabiting atm

dedex

11936 Comments

ok so yeah this is bouncy stuff!

nice sound-off dedex

It has increased my anticipation by precisely 23.6%

Yes yes YES! Very nice!

It's getting cosy in here. Hope you enjoy when you check Demon.

And you too Jesper!

pizzamachine

Sound good feel good

November 22nd 2022

Yippee pizza! It does and it does!

November 22nd 2022

'Is this album bad, then? No! I would say it’s exactly the opposite of that too.'

I would say this line is both vaguely amusing (not sure why?) and most certainly on point! This thing is smooooooth(er) than possibly expected. Nice little reinvention, of sorts.

November 22nd 2022

"This thing is smooooooth(er) than possibly expected."

Very true, just like: "Nice little reinvention, of sorts."

Somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4.0 for me, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Also I thought that line was amusing as well, happy it seems to work across screens and what not!