Nickelback
Get Rollin'

by Mr. Pizza USER (421 Reviews)
November 20th, 2022 | 54 replies

Release Date: 11/18/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you’re looking for a classic Nickelback release, this isn’t it.

Get Rollin’ is Nickelback’s latest album - there’s your fancy headliner. There isn’t much left to say about a band barely switching gears since the 90s. The only surprise here is Nickelback completely giving in to their country music leanings and giving us the tracks High Time and Steel Still Rusts. Aside from that the typical soft rock, ballads and butt rock tunes reign supreme. Add in some sexual lyrics and their classic we’re-in-it-to-party attitude and it’s Nickelback alright; on a similar note, the lyrics are not worth digging into.

Half of the album involves weak sauce, forgettable tunes for the radio that are so derivative of old Nickelback singles they are interchangeable. On that note, the song Horizon sounds like a squeaky clean radio single that Faber Drive might’ve played in their hay day, which is no compliment. The three butt rock tunes with any edge here are San Quentin, Skinny Little Missy, and Vegas Bomb. These “harder” tracks are obnoxious attempts at recreating their Dark Horse vibe, with the result of sounding as recycled as they are. The thinly veiled pop rock, and also straight pop in the album (the easiest example is Just One More) is not fooling anyone, even with a tiny handful of riffs. One might say Nickelback excel at catchy/pleasant enough tunes, but the tracks get old fast. If I had to single a song out for returning to I’d pick High Time; High Time has a fun enough beat in the verse to get down and funky with if in the right mood.

Nickelback have eyes fixed on their destination, yet choose the straight and narrow path every time, neglecting sight seeing - the songwriting lacks nuance. The melodies, riffs and drums are much too straightforward, and songs play out in obvious, safe directions. It feels lazy, sure Vegas Bomb is catchy enough, but it’s so calculated and void of passion that it doesn’t hit hard at all. I don’t think it’s deniable that Nickelback is missing the energy they once had. The always dependable - though predictable - Canadian rock giants gave us that rock and roll, often with hits like Feed the Machine, Burn it to the Ground, Flat On The Floor, etc. While the tracks roll well enough on Get Rollin’, the rock portion is surprisingly fluffy. Check Standing In The Dark which is a great song for casual music fans, the type that play music in the background without realizing what band is playing.

Once again, Nickelback have crafted an album that is good enough. For grown up Nickelback fans I suppose you can’t go wrong, the songs are generally pleasant and easy to relax with. Of course, you’ll have to sit through cringey lyrics like usual, but what else is new? Answer: nothing. It’s the band you knew from way back when, playing to your nostalgia, but forsaking crafting original art. They aren’t just stuck in the past, they are connected intravenously to it. It’s clear this is a lacklustre album, while I’m sure it will sell, it will only hinder their legacy.

Various Artists Home Alone (On the Night Before Christmas)Bitch Magnet Umber
Aerials Aerials: Part 2Drowse Wane into It
Fantasy League Fantasy LeagueChimaira Coming Alive
2.2
poor

November 20th 2022

I am Canadian. I don’t hate Nickelback. Hey dere eh.

ItsTheSquirrel

Surprisingly not completely horrible

ScuroFantasma
November 20th 2022

Am I the only one who kinda digs this album? There’s a couple catchy bangers in the first half.

November 20th 2022

You might say I very, very lightly dig it.

ScuroFantasma
November 20th 2022

I haven’t listened to a Nickelback album in while but I was pleasantly surprised when I popped this on at work, although it was specifically the tracks you called out as Dark Horse reruns that I liked haha.

btw small typo for the title of San Quentin.

kodama
November 20th 2022

This is fine, San Quentin is low key a banger. Feed the machine was better, the biggest problem on that album was that the songs were too long for the level of interest they maintained.

This is harmless, maybe they're starting to grow up a little.

November 20th 2022

@ Scuro: Yeah, Vegas Bomb is pretty catchy out of those reruns haha. Ty for catching the typo.

@ kodama: Growing up vs. good at following trends?

SitarHero
November 20th 2022

Rollin rollin rollin rollin what?

They see me rollin'

They hatin'

Storm In A Teacup
November 20th 2022

Tryin to catch me nickel backin

tellah
November 20th 2022

Long Road/Silver Side Up was the peak, Feed the Machine was ight. I'll check this eventually

Manatea
November 20th 2022

So… basically this is a nickelback album?

Kompys2000
November 20th 2022

Nice review! Third para really kinda pins the whole band down tbh, they aren't untalented but they just cannot genuinely surprise me to save their damn life

Probably won't be checking this, "San Quentin" sure was a buttrock song with all the buttrock things

November 20th 2022

They’ve been trying to capture the lighting in the bottle of The Long Road ever since its release.

ChrimzonCanine
November 20th 2022

As if the Long Road was anything to write home about in the first place

November 20th 2022

Nothing to write home about vs. I like it.

FIGHT

Storm In A Teacup

I like it +1

kildare
November 20th 2022

Thanks for this review; it -- and a browse on the web -- helped me understand "butt rock," a new term in my vocab.

Huzzah!

kodama
November 20th 2022

>@ kodama: Growing up vs. good at following trends?

They really didn't have to change anything at all if they wanted to be a commercial success. The kinds of people super into Nickelback don't care what critics or music snobs think.