Tallah
The Generation of Danger

by turnip90210 USER (88 Reviews)
November 19th, 2022 | 55 replies

Release Date: 11/18/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Generation of Danger is a natural evolution, albeit not without growing pains.

The weak points of Tallah's debut are consciously dealt with. The errant bits of hero worship are sanded off. Matriphagy's default of ending songs with glacial breakdowns is acknowledged, and occasionally playfully addressed in songwriting via caricature ("Shaken (Not Stirred)") or fake-out ("Stomping Grounds"). New augmentations include a more pronounced use of low register tritones in riffs, along with the brilliant texturing courtesy of a dedicated electronics member. Don't forget the established possessed vocals and drumming, and the result is a distilled stylistic core that serves as a foundation to experiment from if desired. The drum and synth interlude in "The Impressionist" is the best moment on the record. The gossamer clean vocal bridge in "Shaken (Not Stirred)" shines a ray of sun at just the right time.

The various alterations end up introducing some snags. The guitars lose a lot of their bite and presence, possibly to make room for the increased electronics presence in the mix. Cranking the album masks this to a degree, but it's a little strange how toothless the guitars are when listened to at a volume where you can comfortably hold a conversation. Tallah also seems aware of the need to be catchy, and at times this overthinking makes it into the music. Some of the trope'y melodic choruses come out of nowhere ("How Long?"), some don't land ("The Impressionist"), some manage to get both aspects wrong ("Dicker's Done"). A number of the riffs feel like they're emulating the established style and hoping to pass as memorable. "Telescope" is the most grating example of this, pasting a bunch of wannabe earworms together to medium success. The faux-rap dropping the album's title in the lyrics feels extremely forced, but the alternate chorus that relieves it in the second half of the song gets it right.

As a result, the album's best tracks are "Of Nothing" and "Wendrid", two mid-tracklist weirdos that largely forego any sort of expectations. Loads of noise, pretty much no structure, a brief brush with a grunge era MTV Unplugged performance. They're the bird's eye view of the album, showing exactly what worked. Calling The Generation of Danger a sophomore slump would be unfair to the band, as while it lacks the debut's effervescence it makes up for it in stylistic development. Given the fact there are no obvious Korn/Linkin Park moments on here, there's a good chance that album number three will shake the occasional wooden feel. Thing is, you probably need to turn your brain off to accomplish that.

Black Midi HellfireO-Type Darling
Flaw RevivalTorres Thirstier
Black Midi CavalcadeConvulse Deathstar

Durrzo
November 19th 2022

I completely disagree with damn near every criticism in this review.

"when listened to at a volume where you can comfortably hold a conversation."

Why?

mrdogthrow

2000 Comments

this is one brutal 3.5 review

bigweinerdon

Album fuckin rips. Headfirst and Stomping Grounds beat ass

TheTripP
November 19th 2022

really enjoying this more consistently than their debut and the review is quite harsh for the rating but hey subjective right

Purpl3Spartan
November 19th 2022

And I thought my 3.5 review was on the harsher side holy moly. This reads closer to a 2.5

Frost15
November 19th 2022

These guys took the nu-metal formula from Slipknot and Korn and made it way better somehow. Still impressed at how good and eclectic the vocalist is.

turnip90210
November 19th 2022

I guess I can see how this would come off as harsh. I rattle off shortcomings in both opening paragraphs, but the whole point of the ones from the debut was to mention the band grew out of them. Probably should have made it clearer that the core style here is very satisfying, e.g. "The Impressionist" is fantastic outside the melodic chorus.

OllieS

sounds like SiKth to me

goodsitebaduserbase
November 20th 2022

this will decide if i’ve outgrown metal or not

looking forward to listening

Purpl3Spartan

holy slipknot batman

Teal
November 20th 2022

This album is a lot to process. That said, my knee jerk reaction (not to be mistaken for hyperbole) is this album is the nastiest, most unhinged release in the nu-metal sphere since Iowa. They can’t keep this up.

Crxmateo
November 20th 2022

This album is a lot to process and has a lot going on, it is very overwhelming I will say, however holy crap that was a negative 3.5 review, and people told me my 3.5 reviews were negative

StonedManatee
November 20th 2022

This reads like a 2.0/5. I am so tired of Sputnikmusic promoting chickenshit reviews like this. It is an improvement over the first album. The community thinks so. “I guess I can see why this would come across as harsh…” then why in the fuck did you give it a 3.5/5? You don’t give a harsh/shitty review and then say “welp, actually the album is 3.5 guys, it sucks but it is 3.5. Nice one, Lester Bangs. This has to be the worst review I have seen in a long time.

STIGMATIZED
November 20th 2022

this is the nu metalcore answer to Decide's Legion. Equally as chaotic, shifting, incongruous but still managing somehow to hold integrity all the way through. And now with added pulverization!

basically this album is fucking awesome

November 21st 2022

Compare this to the newest Slipknot record, and I would say idol worship is the farthest thing that comes to mind. These dudes aren't just Korn/Slipknot/Linkin Park wannabes.. they're simply touching base on everything that came before and doing a damn good job at moving the goalpost for the future of metalcore/nu metal. At the very least.. they don't sound like the butt rock core we've had to sift through for the last 5 years

[2]

Essence

vocals kinda ruin this

dannooo28
November 21st 2022

I'll re-listen later probably but honestly I'm just addicted to Telescope lol so groovy

November 21st 2022

@essence how? the vocals are the best part. Honestly I could do without the turntables

November 21st 2022

His one take vocal videos are insane