Disturbed

3.3

by Trey STAFF
November 18th, 2022 | 121 replies

Release Date: 11/18/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Disturbed do what they’ve always done, this time drawing from their classic era.

Over the last few days, I’ve become reacquainted with Disturbed’s entire discography. I’ve always enjoyed their pre-hiatus music, but I haven’t been a recurring listener since 2008’s Indestructible and I felt like I needed to refresh my memory. In hindsight, it feels like each new album has been a fight for relevance; the band attempting to prove they could still operate within shifting musical trends, and mostly succeeding. They dropped the overt nu metal influence when it went out of style, they softened their sound when mainstream rock was trending, they got heavier and added guitar solos when public opinion swayed towards the heavier side of metal, and they capitalized on the momentum of “The Sound of Silence” by filling their next release with ballads and big arena rock choruses. Every change has led to another successful release, but regardless of stylistic alterations, they’ve always sounded like Disturbed. On Divisive, Disturbed do what they’ve always done by making some small adjustments, but otherwise sounding just like Disturbed.

While Evolution effectively built on the success of “The Sound of Silence”, it also alienated a lot of Disturbed’s earliest fans – Divisive feels like an apology to those fans. Divisive is full of classic Disturbed metal, skirting the line between The Thousand Fists and Asylum with only hints of the big arena rock of their previous two releases. Of all three pre-release singles, “Unstoppable” and “Divisive” are the two most representative of the album. If by some chance you’re reading this but haven’t listened to any of the singles, these songs feature the classic rhythmic delivery the band is known for throughout all facets of their sound, a minor industrial undercurrent, energetic aggression, and strong choruses. The difference between these two songs and “Hey You” is in the effectiveness of the chorus. “Unstoppable” and “Divisive” both feature strong choruses that seamlessly flow between verses, while “Hey You” uses the same momentum-killing area rock chorus that ruined so much of Immortalized.

For longtime fans, the big choruses that make up quite a bit of Divisive will be the biggest issue. While a lot of them work (if just barely) within the context of the song they’re still jarring enough that it will take a few listens to appreciate them. It’s the other songs such as “Love to Hate” or the aforementioned “Hey You” that have their driving verses and infectious grooves halted by awkward-fitting big choruses that are the main problem. Fortunately, there are enough standout tracks such as “Bad Man”, “Part of Me”, and “Won’t Back Down” that Divisive should have more than enough to bring back long-time fans that haven’t been happy with post-hiatus Disturbed. For those that came into the Disturbed fold for “The Sound of Silence” there is the album’s sole ballad, “Don’t Tell Me”, which features Ann Wilson of Heart. This song is clearly built for the “Sound of Silence” crowd and will almost certainly be another successful single.

For better or worse, there’s nothing new or surprising about Disturbed’s eighth release. On Divisive, the band don’t step outside their comfort zone, they don’t add any new elements, they don’t push the envelope on their established formula, they’re just Disturbed – but they’re Disturbed from their classic era, which is better than nothing. This also means Divisive won’t be changing anyone’s opinion on the band; you either already like them or you don’t. However, for those that were raised on Disturbed’s first three albums and slowly fell away with each subsequent release, Divisive may just be the album that brings them back.

Epica The Alchemy ProjectBush The Art Of Survival
Fear Factory RecodedDimmu Borgir Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (Remixed...)
Rabbit Junk Apocalypse For BeginnersLacuna Coil Comalies XX
2.9
good

20132 Comments

This was a hard one to write. It's good, but it's definitely a surface-level album that is very similar to every other release they've done which doesn't leave a lot to write about.

Sowing
November 18th 2022

Disturbed sounding like Disturbed seems like the least surprising thing ever, but I haven't kept up with them in recent years. The last album of theirs that I actually liked was Indestructible, and I enjoyed their earliest LPs, so it sounds like I'll be in the same boat as you as far as this release is concerned. Good review, especially for having to make multiple paragraphs out of describing the band's status quo.

November 18th 2022

Great review. Those ratings though - lol.

William21

cor22222

Eons

Rowhaus

Overhated band

20132 Comments

--Disturbed sounding like Disturbed seems like the least surprising thing ever, but I haven't kept up with them in recent years. The last album of theirs that I actually liked was Indestructible, and I enjoyed their earliest LPs, so it sounds like I'll be in the same boat as you as far as this release is concerned. --

If you're in the same boat as me, you may find enough to actually enjoy this band again.

--Great review. Those ratings though - lol.--

It's Sputnik. I'd expect nothing less.

--Sound-wise, at least, this may be their best post-reunion album. Lyrics seem a little more dumbed down at times though.--

The lyrics definitely are dumbed down. Sign of these times, really.

--Why u trying to glorified something what they have done better many years before? It's better than the last awful one, but still, come on, it's album everyone know.--

I'm not 100% sure I'm reading this right, but I'll try to respond. it doesn't matter what they've done before whether every previous album was a 5 or a 1, this one is a 3.3 in my opinion. It is definitely an album everyone will recognize as Disturbed, but that alone doesn't make this good or bad.

--I don't really like the band but I always thought the singer was a very thoughtful, intelligent guy, David Draiman. It's kind of interesting if you watch interviews with him, realizing he is in this band and how much thought he actually puts into the music (which doesn't really translate) so it's kind of weird.--

David Drainman does seem intelligent, but it definitely doesn't translate to his music.

heck
November 18th 2022

if you think he's intelligent you obviously haven't heard him talk about Israel and Palestine

20132 Comments

I haven't. I don't bother listening to actors/musicians when it comes to politics. However, he can be intelligent and still have opinions you don't agree with.

November 18th 2022

Well, the album slaps. It brings me right back to Indestructible and Believe. The ballad was beautifully done too.

Rowhaus
November 18th 2022

Definitely feels like they're back on track yeah. I'm surprised there's no mention of Feeding the Fire. That chorus sounds like something off Believe.

Zac124
November 18th 2022

Kinda boring but it undoubtedly has it's moments and it is way better than Evolution.

Moses77
November 18th 2022

Hey You was the best single of the three imo, almost felt like I'm in 2004 again when I heard it, good mixture of the Believe/10,000 Fists sound.

For me curiously the refrains of the other two singles were a bit lame and uninspired.

Hearing it now, Bad Man also feels like somewhat mellowed oldschool Disturbed.

Edit: Am I hearing right? Are there actually guitar solos sprinkled in?

Draiman sounds a tad more coarse but remarkably good as ever for his age, some vocal lines and melodies are literally copies of old albums though, which fuels my nostalgia atleast.

Can really see giving this a 3.0 or even more tbh.

Minortimbo12

This band disturbs me

Cimnele
November 18th 2022

Does It Disturb You, Yeah?

The man is disturbed.

Kusangii
November 18th 2022

Can't wait to not listen to this

Hyperion1001
November 18th 2022

question: how many plates are dropped on asses in this one?

November 18th 2022

Five antique porcelain plates.