Johnny Booth
Storyteller

by Mike K. USER (21 Reviews)
November 17th, 2022 | 50 replies

Release Date: 11/04/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One word: Slaps

Sometimes the best things in life are short and sweet. Johnny Booth’s most recent release, Storyteller, falls squarely into that category.

There isn’t a whole lot to be said here other than if you want twelve-plus minutes of feeling what it’s like to be punched in the face while riding a very fast roller-coaster (and liking it), look no further. Between breakneck speed, chaotically shifting riffs and patterns, adrenaline fueling breakdowns, and the occasional moment of breathing room, Johnny Booth deliver an incredibly fun and musically sound EP.

For the most part this EP ticks off all of the check boxes of what I'm looking for in a wild hardcore romp. The push and pull between the rapidly shifting melodies, riffs and breakdowns is controlled chaos at some of its finest, all of it being supplemented by excellent drum and bass work. The vocal work hits the sweet spot between raw and "this guy's gonna need surgery on his vocal cords soon." Each of the first three songs has their own unique feel and each one emphasizes a slightly different genre while maintaining a cohesive unity. (Special mention to "Deepfake" as being a particular highlight.)

The only complaint to be made is the closing track which, while not bad per se, is too stylistically different to really belong on this EP and the contrast grates a bit much. That complaint, however, is relatively minor compared to the overall enjoyableness of this little collection of songs.

I don’t always get excited about EPs, but I don't normally get to listen to EPs that are this good. Buckle up gents, this roller-coaster ride may be short, but it slaps.

Snarky Puppy Empire CentralS'efforcer Metamorphosis
Dayseeker Dark SunFit for a King The Hell We Create
Sleeping With Sirens Complete CollapseBilmuri GOBLIN HOURS

Firsthand Accounts

Slaps

m/

Asura14
November 17th 2022

"The only complaint to be made is the closing track which, while not bad per se, is too stylistically different to really belong on this EP and the contrast grates a bit much."

It's a cover of Millionaire from QOTSA, I actually really dig it and it's completely unexpected

November 17th 2022

Had no idea about that. But knowing that… I might like it better. I’ll try again.

SteakByrnes

slaps cock

Hell yeah it doessssss

Josh D.
November 17th 2022

Whhaattt I didn't even know this was coming and now I'm about to

Have funnnnnnn joshy

Asura14

4.0s unite

DiscoveringAxiom

The Queens of the Stone Age cover took me by surprise; album does indeed slap

Defmytones
November 17th 2022

Slappity slap slap. I also agree about the QOTSA ending. Not bad by any means, but when you have three tracks that go so damn hard it's quite the juxtaposition ending with that.

Calc
November 17th 2022

yeah very cool cover idea. I really only listen to crowd control from this though. I'll just wait until a full length comes out

jmh886
November 17th 2022

is this an actual EP, or just some release with songs that will eventually be on an LP? I hate listening to the latter cuz then I will play the songs out before the LP drops.

goodsitebaduserbase
November 17th 2022

when will all drums and guitar stop being mixed like this

Rawmeeth38

Reminds me of Greyhaven

Dick

nash1311
November 17th 2022

Def did not need another core cover of that song

JayEnder

Whips sack

Can't wait for the actual album next year

SaveBandit
November 17th 2022

Deleted the cover song, but the other 3 are super rad. My only complaint is that it's not a full length. These dudes rule so hard.

Zac124
November 17th 2022

You are right. This slaps.

nipplehair
November 17th 2022

My only qualm is that 2 of the 4 songs have been out for nearly a year. And the last track on the album doesn't really mesh. I'm always down for new JB.. just wish they'd drop a full album with all brand new material