L.S. Dunes
Past Lives

by Rowan5215 STAFF
November 7th, 2022 | 98 replies

Release Date: 11/11/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: it feels electric when we sing

When I reviewed Anthony Green's incredible solo album Boom. Done. this year, I wrote that the album found him "asserting his will to live and keep creating music" in spite of the darkness explored in the lyrics. "It's not about my relationship with drugs or people, it's about my relationship with myself", I quoted Green by way of illustrating the inward-facing nature of the project. I say this in order to contextualise Past Lives: the album doesn't feature Green's name on the cover, instead being credited to a supergroup which he was reportedly the last to join, yet there is connective tissue linking it to Boom. Done. which enriches and deepens both albums.

Let's start with the obvious: Past Lives opener "2022" is a reworked song from Boom. Done., mysteriously taken off streaming a few weeks after release for reasons which are now obvious. The original cut was stark and desolate, just Green and a guitar with barely a whisper of brass in the background, whereas the new version doesn't waste a second announcing the energy levels L.S. Dunes will be operating at. The enviable rhythm section from genre titans Thursday kick things off with an absolutely filthy bass tone from Tim Payne and strong anchoring from Tucker Rule, while Coheed and Cambria's Travis Stever and My Chemical Romance's Frank Iero trade elegantly intertwined guitar parts that make you wonder how they've never shared a track before now. Green's vocal over the top is more akin to a snarl, barking out heartwrenching lines about a suicide attempt like he's trying to exorcise his demons by sheer force of performance. The lyrics and melody remain unchanged, but we couldn't be further afield from the original "2022", which is Past Lives all over - familiar styles and modes of performance, given new life by the nature of their collaboration.

From there the album continues largely straightforward but nonetheless absolutely thrilling. Politically-minded cuts "Grifter" and "Bombsquad" pick up the territory where Circa Survive's tortured "Impostor Syndrome" left off, lamenting the January 6 Capitol riots and our general dystopian-adjacent hellscape of a daily life. The helplessness and fury of these songs is somewhat balanced by the more personal moments of "2022" and "Sleep Cult", but there's no doubt Past Lives is a grim and cynical album, five seasoned musicians showing their teeth without smiling at a world that seems to get darker every day. Cuts like "Grey Veins" lean towards an oldschool rock 'n' roll aesthetic that is likely credit to Stever and Iero, while furious post-hardcore ragers "Like Forever" and "Permanent Rebellion" will likely satiate those still mourning the gap Circa Survive left behind when they announced their hiatus. It's the slowburning duo of "Blender" and the title track that will likely stick in the craws of those skeptical of the whole supergroup thing; they're the perfect middle ground between all the present musicians and their respective styles, true collaborative songs which sit rightly in the middle of the album as an axis around which the rest can revolve.

A production job from genre mainstay Will Yip thankfully finds him back in a sweet spot, with a dry and smooth mix which balances Green's powerhouse performance with the work from all the instrumentalists evenly. Past Lives isn't exactly full of surprises, but it doesn't need to be to succeed as a mission statement for a new band who seem to be around to stay, if rumours of new material brewing are any indication. Every member of L.S. Dunes is in their element even after respective years of being legends in the genre, and if a future project can drill down on the energy found in "Blender" or the bizarre but deeply affecting "Sleep Cult", they may still have some of their best work ahead.

Gatherers " ( mutilator. ) "Arctic Monkeys The Car
The Wonder Years The Hum Goes on ForeverNo Devotion No Oblivion
JID The Forever StoryDanger Mouse and Black Thought Cheat Codes

Rowan5215
November 7th 2022

dis good stuff. Green on an all-timer run right now

out Friday

SteakByrnes
November 7th 2022

pog champion I'm hype to hear this

Odal
November 7th 2022

I'm so damn hype for this, great review

Green really does seem to be going through a bit of Rennaissance rn. Don't think he's had as strong a run of albums since the late 2000's

Feather
November 7th 2022

Really hoping I enjoy this album. Great review, getting me a bit more excited for the release.

Their debut live performance was such a let down for me that it kinda killed my hype for them. Hoping it was just a fluke considering it was their literal first performance.

The singles have been pretty good, but I enjoyed the original version of 2022 sooooo much more than this albums version. Just didnt feel right to me after hearing and loving the original, felt kinda forced.

Cormano
November 7th 2022

I knew this would be your write up row, nice

can't wait to jam this one and seeing them next week

brandaao

Great Review!
Really curious about this album. Can't wait to check it out this weekend.

WatchItExplode
November 7th 2022

Looking forward to this. Whatever the first single is it absolutely ruled

Storm In A Teacup
November 7th 2022

It does feel like this is Greens main event run. The Amulet in 2017 really caught my attention. The rub keeps getting better.

SaveBandit
November 7th 2022

Super stoked to hear this in full. Honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited for a debut album.

Feather
November 8th 2022

Amulet, 2 Dreams, Boom. Done were all great. Hoping the streak continues with this and TSOAF soon!

November 8th 2022

“The Amulet in 2017 really caught my attention.”

Same. Which was a great surprise, cause Circa had been so important to me, but Violent Waves and Descensus didn’t do much for me and I’d given up on the idea that they’d make anything new that I’d really love.

Excited for this album. Thursday, Circa, My Chem, and Coheed have all been my favourite band at one point

Also, great review!

GreyShadow
November 8th 2022

revust VW and Descensus especially if you haven't. The highlights on Descensus are top tier Circa.

but yeah, really can't wait for this. crazy how we'll have 4 AG albums/eps for a single year

November 8th 2022

Gonna have to get in the right headspace and revisit some Circa

nash1311
November 8th 2022

I’m actually expecting to be lukewarm on this. Only really dug one single. Hope the rest is better

Nbehre11
November 8th 2022

HYPE. Cannot wait to listen to this in full.

Zeiu
November 9th 2022

Love the new 2022 song. Awesome. Excited for this.

Rowan5215
November 9th 2022

I might honestly be more excited for new TSOAF than anything else he's done this year, which is saying something lol

drops on my birthday too, very thoughtful of em

Cormano
November 9th 2022

^wth i didnt know that was happening as well, that's quite the streak for anthony

^^ I didn’t either! Holy shit