Fleshwater
We're Not Here To Be Loved

by Tyler W. CONTRIBUTOR (86 Reviews)
November 5th, 2022 | 550 replies

Release Date: 11/01/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: the ducky's debut

Toeing the line between melody and aggression, We’re Not Here to Be Loved is like a captivating two-sided story. Fleshwater’s debut balances the group’s ‘veiny tendencies’ with a sense of tranquility. Throughout the entirety of the record, catchy melodic progressions and dreamy vocals are contrasted by eerily dissonant riffs and abrasive screams. “Baldpate Driver” and “Closet” showcase the darker slow burn melodies of We’re Not Here to Be Loved, full of hazy guitar progressions complemented by Mirsy’s soaring cleans and Anthony’s backing melodies and screams. “Enjoy,” a surprising cover of Bjork, is a brooding track that leans heavily into the eerie side of Fleshwater, with Anthony’s distorted cleans haunting their way throughout the song. On the other hand, “Kiss the Ladder” and “Woohoo” display the high energy of the group, featuring upbeat drum grooves and gritty guitars amplified by Mirsy’s beautiful melodies.

However, the Fleshwater sound is best exemplified through the closer. “Foreign” showcases every side of the group’s capabilities, displaying the perfected balance between melody and aggression. Opening with heavy dissonant riffs, similar to that of Vein.fm, the track soon evolves into hazy guitars that lay down a fluid background for Mirsy and Anthony to trade off vocal duties. Mixing dreamy lead work with the nightmarish melodic progressions creates an eerie juxtaposition between the beautiful and the abrasive. Moreover, “Foreign” combines the various moods presented throughout We’re Not Here to Be Loved, bringing together the high energy moments of the verses, the slow burner feeling of the bridge, and the broodingly dark conclusion of the album. This closer encapsulates the entirety of the record in a single track, tying together Fleshwater’s outstanding debut. Yet “Foreign,” while capturing the uniqueness of the group in one song, makes you want to relisten to all of these moments individually. With each passing listen, Fleshwater draws you in for more. We’re Not Here to Be Loved is more than just an impressive debut; it is a statement of a band that has already found their stride and delivers.

SVMMERCAMP WillowCounterparts A Eulogy for Those Still Here
Slipknot The End, So FarI Prevail True Power
Oceans Ate Alaska DisparityDomestic Terminal All The Stories Left To Tell
Mr. Pizza (3.5)
Ducky’s Big Adventure: A Story About Confidence...

November 5th 2022

took a minute to actually write stuff, but thanks to Jesper for the help!

anyway, love the record, and every time I try to listen to something else, I just get drawn right back to this

duck

November 5th 2022

Album and band are stunning, Kiss The Ladder is one of the best songs I've ever heard

Love how absolutely relentless the pacing of this album is too

November 5th 2022

definitely dig Kiss The Ladder, but there's just something about Woohoo and Foreign

Duck [2]

My top 3 are Kiss The Ladder, Woohoo and Enjoy

November 5th 2022

@slex top three also for me

MoM

Duck [3]

November 5th 2022

Enjoy is amazing, had no clue it was a cover lol

November 5th 2022

The instrumentation is so intense on Enjoy, would not have known either if Jake hadn't told me lol

November 5th 2022

Awesome review. Said everything that needed to be said in two paragraphs. Well done fellas :]

Foreign is pretty much the greatest thing ever. Start to finish tho the vibes are divine here. Way better than the new Vein mostly because Kurt Ballou nailed the production, while Putney's was a swing and a miss imo. These guys (and girl) combine lush gaze and dissonant heaviness in such a spectacular way, solid af musicians and I can't wait to hear what they come up with next. Happy as hell with this album.

November 5th 2022

I always love some tense guitars and drums

GOOSE!

November 5th 2022

There's an urgency and fluidity to the way this band operates and it's mesmerizing

Also love how 90's this is, opener is exceptional Hum worship

nash1311

Basic 💁🏻‍♂️

@nash1311 ah well, not everyone can ENJOY it

November 5th 2022

I need more audio samples in here, they just put a lot of emotion into the tracks

nash1311
November 5th 2022

I wanted to, but was underwhelmed. Maybe it was over hyped for me? Not sure.

There were flashes of brilliance and I also dug the older school vibes, but didn’t do much else for me ☹️

Purpl3Spartan