Gaerea

by Fernando Alves STAFF
September 26th, 2022 | 83 replies

Release Date: 09/23/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Superação

Portuguese blackened horde Gaerea have been making a name for themselves for a while now. The good response from media and audiences to their first two full-length releases and the band's extensive touring across Europe have cemented their position as a contemporary black metal force to be reckoned with. Add to this a palpable enthusiasm and conceptual focus, and you have the solid foundations for a long, prosperous career. At least, theoretically. As with everything in life, it only takes one misstep to fall helplessly, and the Lusitanian quintet is at that crucial stage of their professional and artistic journey - one that could take them either up or down. It is the symbolic weight surrounding the third studio album; a trial by fire that mirrors the collective's status while disclosing whether it has lived up to its promise. A test they passed with flying colors, I'd say, as Gaerea's latest chapter didn't just meet expectations, it exceeded them.

Contrary to what its title may suggest, musically, Mirage is no optical illusion but rather the full manifestation of a creative spirit at its peak - fruit of the inspiration, maturity, and passion of a quintet that took their music to heights never reached before. While Gaerea's DNA remains essentially unchanged, continuing to retain the primary influences of European bands like Mgla within a post-metal(ish) flavor, it has taken a step forward across the board. The opener, 'Memoir', reflects this enhancement magnificently by exploring different textures and contrasts that lend it exceptional dynamics and dramatic intensity. The monochromatism somehow present in Limbo has been replaced by a substantially richer sound palette that expands the band's primary colors without ever losing balance between parts. The songs flow naturally over a musical direction that never seems to lose its way. Everything is interconnected. Even the most contrasting moments, like the smooth atmospherics or the more melodic folk-goth-ish nuances in 'Laude', never stray too far from orbit. A focused, inspired approach that not only shaped eight compelling songs but also knew how to create memorable highlights in each of them. The epic Mgla-esque section on 'Memoir' or the tuneful moment in 'Arson', which would not be out of place on a Be'lakor album, are among the best, along with the glorious crescendos present in songs such as 'Deluge', 'Arson', and 'Mirage'. The dramatic vocals and subtle synth layers that occasionally emerge are also worthy of note as they lend greater depth and theatricality to the music - attributes dear to the band's aesthetic (musically and visually). An expression that renounces lucifer and all his Iberian demons in favor of an existentialist concept revolving around loneliness, suffering, and the unreliability of the senses. A particularly fitting narrative for Gaerea's blackened output. It gives it credibility and a broader scope, not tying the band to black metal clichés that could constrain their future; a future that, judging by the result of this litmus test, certainly looks promising.

"Superação", the Portuguese word for exceed/surpass, is probably the best way to describe Mirage and what it represents for Gaerea, creatively and professionally. It is a leap forward in every aspect of the game. An upgraded version that surpassed itself not by reinventing the wheel or exploring new territory, but by leveraging the collective's strengths; amplifying and perfecting them, thus achieving greater consistency and songwriting prowess. Qualities that make Mirage the band's most interesting effort to date and certainly one of the best black metal albums of 2022.

Phobophilic Enveloping AbsurdityBehemoth Opvs Contra Natvram
Fallujah EmpyreanMegadeth The Sick, the Dying... and the Dead!
Reeking Aura Blood And BonemealWake Thought Form Descent

September 26th 2022

Blackened hordes should jam this. One of the year's black metal highlights so far.

Full stream:

Willie

20065 Comments

I'm sold. Will check this out.

Josh D.
September 26th 2022

Need to give this a listen on proper speakers, gave it a once over on my laptop, so nothing stuck.

September 26th 2022

Or through headphones, the production is on par with the music.

Hope you like it, Willie ;)

Must jam thank u

Calc
September 26th 2022

heard some good shit from this group I've never heard of in a genre I don't really like so I will check this whole thing. Glad to see it's positively received too.

theyrehere
September 27th 2022

I didn't vibe with Unsettling Whispers when it came out and skipped Limbo. But this is hitting HARD, so I need to go back and revisit those.

Dewinged
September 27th 2022

Nicely done as always Notrap, I have this on the backburner. From the singles I already can see I am not gonna love the production but the band is strangely enticing to me. Must be the masks.

Slex
September 27th 2022

Awesome review, this sounds very interesting and I was eyeballing it already

MeatWolf
September 27th 2022

Almost missed it because of the 'just black metal' tag with no post- mentioned

September 27th 2022

Yes, the lads have a post-ish vibe.

I'll look forward to your thoughts, Orb.

Thanks Dewinged & Slex.

September 27th 2022

I tossed and turned about whether to get that sweet hoodie, a CD, or a wax copy, but I just orbered the vinyl on a whim. When I'm back in my home country in 3 weeks it'll be there waiting for me. Cant wait!

KrillBoi
September 27th 2022

Their best output imo, absolutely love this. A good mix of sheer ferocity like in Salve and grandiose atmosphere like in Arson.

Gnocchi
September 27th 2022

That 4.3 might get me to have another look at this.

September 27th 2022

I just like gold and masks tbh

September 27th 2022

That's nice, Orb, that gold mask in XL looks pretty cool. One of these days I'll get back to vinyls.

" Their best output imo "

That's a fact.

kalli15

so good!

Laude (music video)

The album's most melodic-folk-goth-ish song

Gaerea+Gaahls Wyrd+Saor+Winterfylleth*

02 Feb 23 Helsinki (FI) On the Rocks

07 Apr 23 Oslo (NO) Inferno Festival 2023

Azog
September 27th 2022

This is Gaerea firing on all cylinders. Grandeur is the name of the game. One hell of an AOTY contender.

Also, nice write up!

Essence
September 27th 2022

this is a hell of a step up for this band, damn!