Phobophilic

by Fernando Alves STAFF
September 20th, 2022 | 29 replies

Release Date: 09/16/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cavernous ways

Old school death metal has been well within my comfort zone for some time now, in the sense that it relaxes me while offering an escape from my everyday wars. Especially the kind which dwells in the deep holes of the earth, like that of the American quartet Phobophilic. Their revivalist death-doom formula, which pays tribute to Finnish acts like Demilich and Adramelech within a cavernous USDM aesthetic, has all the right ingredients to take me into that very private dimension of mine. Whether due to its intricate riffing, deep abyssal gutturals, or overall atmosphere, Phobophilic's debut album, Enveloping Absurdity, didn't take long to pull me into its muddy quicksand. As a matter of fact, the opener 'Enantiodromia' did the job almost instantly, through its infectious Finn-like approach reminiscent of the aforementioned collectives. Its tidy, classy character sets the tone for a collection of songs that show remarkable focus, mirroring a coherent, meticulously thought-out musical direction. The interplay between tempo variations is exceptionally smooth, as is the flow throughout the eight songs that feature an instrumental pit stop, 'Individuation', which, unlike most of its peers, is of real musical interest, adding value to the whole. Restraint and composure, qualities rarely associated with the genre, are palpable, giving Enveloping Absurdity an adult nature while delivering some oxygen to the cavernous ambiance. An airy layer enhanced by the apt production of long-time collaborator Adam Tucker, who skillfully crafted the right environment for the band's songwriting. The riff feast on 'Nauseating Despair' and 'Those Which Stare Back', or the lacy kick-off of 'The Illusion of Self', are just a few of the album's many highlights, along with the constant, headbang-inducing, slow/mid-paced segments. Except for the somewhat inconsistent lead department and (expected) lack of originality, Enveloping Absurdity has actually very few weaknesses, boasting a remarkable balance that makes it a must-listen for cave explorers who don't mind a little oxygen and refinement amongst the muddy holes of their soundscapes.

Behemoth Opvs Contra NatvramFallujah Empyrean
Megadeth The Sick, the Dying... and the Dead!Reeking Aura Blood And Bonemeal
Wake Thought Form DescentHissing Hypervirulence Architecture

September 20th 2022

Cave explorers should take a peek.

Full stream:

Gnocchi
September 20th 2022

Damn, Staff team on fire this month. Rotations on the features coming heavy and fast : ]

September 20th 2022

Yeah the crew has been busy ;)

TheSpirit
September 20th 2022

Nice, I was just listening to this earlier. It's very good.

This has kind of been a crazy year for death metal.

BitterJalapenoJr
September 20th 2022

The first chord is cavernous indeed - great write up. Checking shortly.

necropig
September 20th 2022

I've no recollection of listening to their EP but seems I liked it, shall check this

September 20th 2022

The EP is solid as is the track from the split with Sedimentum.

Thanks, BitterJalapenoJr.

YuriZakhaev
September 22nd 2022

Been looking forward to this one for a while now, so hyped to see these guys getting some traction

evilford

Gotta check

Pikazilla
September 22nd 2022

omg this sounds like something right up my alley

Kusangii

It's gud

Pho3nix
September 22nd 2022

"...which pays tribute to Finnish acts like Demilich and Adramelech within a cavernous USDM aesthetic"

I've never even heard of those two, need to czech. Great rev!

Thanks ;)

Those bands, along with Demigod, are among the most relevant European DM acts of the mid-nineties. They're all different from each other but share a somewhat common vibe, especially the first two. If you like OSDM a la Bolt Thrower or Incantation they are a must-listen.

InfernalDeity
September 22nd 2022

This is oppressively heavy.

combustion07
September 23rd 2022

Killer album as expected.

September 23rd 2022

It also has an interesting replay value, I've been listening to it on repeat for a few days now.

osmark86

oh yah, oh yah

Gnocchi
September 23rd 2022

Pretty happy with this overall.

butt.

Sick stuff. Cavernous indeed

DarkSideOfLucca

About to jam this for my 45 minute workout, will come back to report

New Old school death metal is my favvvvvv