NCT 127
2 Baddies - The 4th Album

by pizzamachine USER (369 Reviews)
September 19th, 2022 | 11 replies

Release Date: 09/16/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: R&B…1-2-3.

Hot off reviewing BLACKPINK’s latest - much disgruntled - I didn’t expect to immediately find a compelling new K-pop release. NCT 127’s fourth album (clearly) is just that, a slammer. Almost every song in this pop/hip-hop album is worthy of single selection. This is an album that is put together in complete harmony for engrossing entertainment and it is felt in almost every track. Aside from a couple less graceful lyrics such as, “two baddies, two baddies, one Porsche”, and some less memorable tracks the album trucks along with negligible hiccups.

The biggest note here is the production values. I expect great production from K-pop and this album doesn’t disappoint, it generally reminds me of Britney Spears’ earlier years and ‘N Sync. I mention this because the instrumental backing is both simplistic and complex - what the hell do I mean by that? Synth lines are often simple but there’s a lot happening, it’s often a busy soundscape yet never too full complete with revved engines and a sparkling, cheery design. It’s a retro/futuristic clash of styles that works beautifully together in the way that ‘N Sync’s No Strings Attached brought a plethora of ideas to the table. I’m overselling it considering NCT 127’s style isn’t that uncommon in the genre, but it’s nonetheless potent.

There’s not much else to say aside from I enjoyed this album. It’s pretty much what you expect from a K-pop album, with a self-awareness that propels this to the upper levels. Saying a line like, “Multivitamin me, try it and see” is completely corny but it works in this album rife with soul, and beautifully harmonious singing. Their bad boy swagger is justified here even if it’s made in a factory. I didn’t get tired of the rapping and even the solo singing moments didn’t feel obnoxious. The music is catchy from beginning to end with songs that won’t leave you and the gorgeous vocal performances never bore. If you’re a fan of K-pop you won’t want to miss this album.