Somewhere South of Here

by Atari STAFF
September 17th, 2022 | 96 replies

Release Date: 09/14/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Pure Sputcore

It’s only fitting that Sput user PitchforkArms released his band’s debut album approaching his 10th Sputversary. This album reeks of 2010s Sputnikmusic fandom, from The Hotelier, Sorority Noise, Captain We’re Sinking through to The Menzingers, PitchforkArms wears his influences on his forking sleeves. What is so important about Leave Me for the Crows is that we – the sput user database – helped shape this album. This is pure forking Sputcore; it is for every Sput user who ever rated an emo/punky/alt rock album. Now, if only belonging to this community for 10 years was enough to produce such a stellar album, unfortunately it isn’t that simple. Somewhere South of Here have real talent, and by God, Jordan Wagel can forking sing, arguably better than the aforementioned bands.

When listening to Somewhere South of Here’s debut LP, there’s a clear sense of how much thought was put into each song’s structure – every passionate high placed perfectly for a maximum tug at the ol’ clogging heart. It would be almost too easy to attribute part of its accessibility to a potent approach across a filler-free 36 minutes, but there’s something special going on here that refuses to be simplified; something that speaks to the procrastinator and overthinker in me. Misery (read: anxiety) loves company, or something like that.

Your personal struggles or insecurities are staring back at you somewhere on Leave Me for the Crows. The first track to really burrow under my skin was “It’s What It Is”, which brings enough nasally inspiration to fill the void left by The Hotelier’s absence the last several years. It’s also packed with clever and relatable anecdotes about what it’s like to get in your own way. An oddly affecting mix of self-deprecation and hope make up the remaining batch of tunes. “July” is a fine example, Wagel sounding almost gleeful as he declares “the flowers all f*cking die when you’re not here.” Throughout “Leave Me for the Crows” he proves to be a highly competent vocalist, often flaunting his shapeshifting qualities over experiences we can all relate to: an argument in the car, a heavy night of drinking, feeling anxious and isolated. The album’s longest cut, “Dead Friends” explores the even harder-to-swallow topic of suicide over an airy atmosphere, with softer strokes that somehow feel heavier.

As gloomy as some of this may sound, there’s no doubt Somewhere South of Here had a giddy blast creating these tunes. This is evident in everything from the beastly drumming of “Walden” to the ridiculously charged guitar riffs throughout - all captured gorgeously with a production that’s crisp but never overproduced. This approach allows for an exceptional shine to the addictive choruses of both “Opposite Shores” and “Falling Asleep in Public Places.” On the other hand, the shaky, somewhat distorted instrumentation of “Pines” has PUP written all over it. Aptly described as “four dudes making punk music” on their spotify page, this rowdy batch of tunes lives up to that carefree promise while sneaking in some profound meaning along the way.

The phenomenal “Starting” is one of those tracks that feels too massive to only be three minutes long. Many of the album’s previous themes come crashing together here in an intense moment of clarity. Wagel and his bandmates rarely letting up during the song’s constant and demanding buildup – and most importantly, the brilliant payoff. It’s a fitting conclusion for an album that fits right in with some of the best cathartic punk releases in recent memory. These kinds of albums are like therapy to me, increasingly vital as I age, watching my burdens mount faster than I can tackle them. I know I’m not alone. With the help of Pitchfork’s band, perhaps we can overcome depression and shitty times together. So don’t delay. Go listen to this on Spotify, throw the band some money on bandcamp, tell your friends about Somewhere South of Here, and lobby Sowing to get the Sputpalooza going; we have a good one here.

Flogging Molly AnthemEmery Rub Some Dirt on It
Ben Quad I'm Scared That's All There IsSoccer Mommy Sometimes, Forever
Tomberlin i don’t know who needs to hear this...Voivod Synchro Anarchy

September 17th 2022

big cheers to Sloth for contributing some words to this one :]

this album is simply stellar. PitchforkArms and this bandmates have something to be incredibly proud of here

Digging: Somewhere South of Here - Leave Me for the Crows

JesperL
September 17th 2022

super wholesome review!! album rules hard!

one lil typo: "201s" first para is missing a 0

Sunnyvale
September 17th 2022

Jesper beat me to it! Excellent review Atari!

Eagerly awaiting my chance to purchase Sputpalooza tickets.

Ecnalzen
September 17th 2022

Always down to check a sput project out

mkmusic1995
September 17th 2022

Great review! Super awesome record that I'll be revisiting a bunch!

Digging: Silvana Estrada - Abrazo

September 17th 2022

Oh yes! Awesome review for an awesome album. Thanks, Atari, for unscrambling my words to have some meaning.

And I can't get enough of this album, it's so good, scratches that 2010s Midwest Emo itch.

Digging: Somewhere South of Here - Leave Me for the Crows

Slex
September 17th 2022

Need to check this more, I thought i wasn't crazy about it but the opener has been stuck in my head so

Digging: Alex G - God Save The Animals

September 17th 2022

Keep with it Slex, it grows on you, the last 2 tracks might be the best on here.

YoYoMancuso
September 17th 2022

Great review, so excited to see what this band does next

PitchforkArms
September 17th 2022

Thanks so much for the kind words and support, Atari.

It’s weird being around this site for so long and being influenced by the reviews, suggestions, and tastes of everyone, and then making something that a some of you people care enough about to write something about, chat in the comments, give ratings, hell even listen to the record (LOL). Especially contribs & staffers that I’ve followed for years.

I appreciate it all - every modicum of attention and support and conversation.

WatchItExplode
September 17th 2022

It's good. It certainly feels like a grower to me

Digging: Plosivs - Plosivs

September 17th 2022

Ooh excited to hear this.

Digging: Alex G - God Save The Animals

Ecnalzen

I think I like this. I think I like this a lot

I'm trying not to try so hard

Vox kinda remind me of somebody but I can't place it

September 17th 2022

---Vox kinda remind me of somebody but I can't place it---

Getting Rise Against vibes personally

mkmusic1995

-Getting Rise Against vibes personally-

Yes! I thought the same thing

This is legitimately excellent

September 18th 2022

Vocals are so good, have you had any training PitchForkArms?

A Sowing 4.5!!!

Sputpalooza is def happening 2023.

Tough question, who is going to headline??

PitchforkArms
September 18th 2022

Lol what a question… no I just yell into a microphone

September 18th 2022

Hahaha, would love to see you guys live. Shame I live 5,000 km away.