Danger Mouse and Black Thought

by Rowan5215 STAFF
August 16th, 2022 | 104 replies

Release Date: 08/12/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Thought @ Work

Black Thought is the greatest MC of all time. I feel pretty confident claiming this, 35 years into his career with no sign of slowing, and several killer projects after the feeling that I was listening to the best alive first started to sneak in. Just look at the dude's discography: from his young and hungry days sharing off-the-charts chemistry with Malik B to the grit and rigour that defines his diamond-sharp rhymes throughout the Streams of Thought project, the headiness with which he spits a dizzying 84-bar flex over nothing but a drumbeat on "Web" to the patient way he sketches a heartbreaking story in reverse chronology on The Roots' masterful Undun. Yeah, this is the greatest rapper there is, and the potentially year-stealing Cheat Codes is just another killer album from a man who delivers nothing else.

Much like the Streams of Thought trilogy, Cheat Codes sees Thought linking up with one sole producer across the runtime, with this album's boardsmith Danger Mouse doing such a great job that his name comes first in the album credits. Indeed the chemistry between Mouse's tightly-wound, soulful loops and Thought's rugged bars is so airtight that Questlove must be feeling a little uneasy. It's sweet enough that there's a palpable feeling of deflation whenever another MC takes the mic on Cheat Codes, although there are clear highlights in the ever-welcome, dearly-missed MF DOOM, conscious-rap heir apparent Conway the Machine and (surprisingly) a cocky-sounding A$AP Rocky, acquitting himself much better than a tired-sounding Raekwon, another copy-pasted Killer Mike verse or fuckin' Russ for some reason.

Still, we're all here to watch Black Thought work and he does his thing beautifully, seemingly effortlessly, without a single missed breath across the 38 minutes of this album. Slow-burners "Identical Deaths" and "Violas and Lupitas" call to mind the more introspective raps he brought to his year-topping feature on Saba's "Few Good Things", while the likes of "Close to Famous" and "No Gold Teeth" exist just to let Thought talk his shit - but it's the unbelievable rhymes on "Aquamarine" that demonstrate why the man is simply the best at what he does. Danger Mouse provides the right kind of support without trying to steal the spotlight, and engineers a smooth album flow that recalls the more cohesive Streams of Thought, Vol. 2 over its more scattershot siblings. Really, though, this should be an easy sell for anybody who knows their shit: if you don't, sit back, shut your trap, and listen to the master at work.

Gatherers " ( mutilator. ) "L.S. Dunes Past Lives
Arctic Monkeys The CarThe Wonder Years The Hum Goes on Forever
No Devotion No OblivionJID The Forever Story

Rowan5215
August 16th 2022

this dude is on an insane run right now, get on it while it's hot folks

Sowing
August 16th 2022

Great review. I'm still letting this sink in. I'm a long time fan of The Roots but thought that Streams of Thought was just decent. This seems to be a noticeable improvement.

Rowan5215
August 16th 2022

it seems like I'm the minority in loving Streams Vol 3 but I still do, and think Fuel is one of the best songs he's ever rapped on. that being said this is definitely better as an album overall

Voltimand

Those features, my goodness

WalrusTusk
August 16th 2022

Nice write up. Take another look at this line.

"I feel pretty confident claiming this, 35 years into his career with no sign of slowing, and several killer projects after the feeling that I was listening to the best alive first started to sneak in."

Get rid of the commas after "this" and after "slowing". In general though the whole sentence reads a little clunky. Maybe try:

"After several killer projects and given that the man is 35 years into his career with no signs of slowing, I feel pretty confident claiming this."

Scoot

rap aoty for me

Will check, I predict a 3

osmark86
August 16th 2022

what is this? defo gotta spin this holy

WalrusTusk
August 16th 2022

The beat on "Violas and Lupitas" is soooooo fuckin' good.

tectactoe
August 16th 2022

Good album. I think I like 'Strangers' the best despite not really loving either A$AP Rocky or RtJ but so it goes.

August 16th 2022

Because thru Aquamarine is a great run. The last two tracks are good as well. The rest is mediocre and the run the jewels song is just awful.

Gonna be generous and give a 3 because the good songs are really good

bgillesp
August 16th 2022

Nice, looking forward to checking

YoYoMancuso
August 16th 2022

gotta get on this, great review

August 16th 2022

Listening now and digging it, not feeling the hype though

cvlts
August 16th 2022

about halfway into it and it's an easy 4, might rate higher... love the production and black thought is always an underrated MC

"Black Thought is the greatest MC of all time." - lol calm down, turbo...

FadedSun
August 16th 2022

One of the greatest, sure. But THE greatest? No one is THE greatest of all time. There are too many greats. Anyway, fantastic album.

WhiteNoise
August 16th 2022

I’ve never claimed to be a huge hip hop dude but this album is so damn refreshing.

It’s not over 80 minutes long, it’s not full of shit skits. It’s just 38 minutes of good Hip Hop. More of this please.

August 16th 2022

“black thought is always an underrated MC”

??? He is almost always brought up in discussions of best emcees of all time amongst heads. Also lol @ you saying that he’s underrated and then immediately telling someone who called him the greatest emcee to calm down

Sowing
August 16th 2022

Okay this is clicking for me now.