Haunt (USA-CA)
Windows Of Your Heart

by Zac124 USER (20 Reviews)
August 5th, 2022 | 8 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It is derivative but at least the guitar playing is good.

Haunt is a band that takes the classic heavy metal style from the 80’s, such as bands like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, and recreates it for the present. After six albums with very short gaps in between each release, you would think that it would be best to start to break away from the formula that they follow so closely. They do not, and this causes their seventh studio album, Windows of Your Heart to become a really forgettable release. Every song here follows their formula so closely and strictly that each track feels indistinguishable from the rest, even after multiple listens. Another problem is that this album is less catchy than their previous work. They have shown that they are capable of writing a good hook, but on this album, very few moments stand out, causing the album to have little to no replay value. Dream On It is the only track here that I remembered the melodies in and it is pretty good, so where did the rest of the melody writing go? One of the biggest issues Windows of Your Heart faces is the vocals that leave so much more to be desired. Vocals in classic heavy metal should have range and power, which Haunt’s vocalist lacks. This causes the songs to lose their energy and memorability because the vocals are getting on your nerves. However, what prevents the album from being a complete bore is its stellar guitar playing. There are some really good guitar solos scattered throughout the record that add some much needed excitement to the tracks, especially in the opener, Mercenaries, where the guitar playing peaks. Overall, Windows of Your Heart falls short of being an entirely engaging listen due to its derivative nature, mediocre vocals, and boring and formulaic songwriting, but the guitar playing is excellent and easily the album's highlight.

Black Matter Device AUTONOMOUS WEAPONSHypocrisy Worship
Greg Puciato MirrorcellThe Daysleepers Hide Your Eyes
Vitam Aeternam Revelations of the Mother HarlotDecapitated Cancer Culture
good

August 5th 2022

This band really needs more time on their next release and I hope they change things up a bit too.

As always, constructive criticism is very much welcome.

Azog

snooze fest

PsychicChris
August 5th 2022

I like Haunt but the sound is starting to wear thin.

August 5th 2022

Yeah, I completely agree. Beautiful Distraction was fine but this was just boring.

combustion07
August 5th 2022

I dig their first EP and Mind Freeze. Aside from those I've just jammed a few tracks here and there from the newer stuff and agree that they need to switch it up some. Haven't jammed the newer ones in full because the two that I do enjoy are enough from them if it's the same formula tbh.

August 6th 2022

"It is derivative but at least the guitar playing is good."

That's all I ever wanted in modern thrash

Casavir
August 7th 2022

You guys should check Vultures Vengeance if you want something more substantive.

August 7th 2022

Definitely will give them a go.