Candy (USA)
Heaven Is Here

by tyman128 CONTRIBUTOR (80 Reviews)
June 28th, 2022 | 76 replies

Release Date: 06/24/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ... yet Hell surrounds

Heaven Is Here is terrifying. Hardcore is already a “terrifying” genre as it is, but CANDY takes it a step further with one thing: texture. All of Heaven Is Here relies on the texture of its soundscape. The multi-layered guitars and bass full of dissonance and distortion create a wall of sound that reverberates with intensity. Grainy effects coat the vocals, resulting in an overwhelming performance that executes its role perfectly. The drumming drives each track along with its chops, mixing hardcore and punk grooves to create an atmosphere of chaos. Most importantly, however, is Heaven Is Here’s usage of glitches and breaks. While hardcore is already intense as it is, adding breaks and glitches just makes it immense. Throughout the album, the stop-and-go electronic drum compositions of tracks like “Transcend to Wetness” craft an evil aura full of ferocity. Ear-piercing glitches dominate “World of ***” which amplifies the abrasive nature of Heaven Is Here. However, the defining moments of CANDY lie in the concluding tracks of the record. “Kinesthesia” feels like a hardcore dance/drum-n-bass type of song, with deeply resounding drums and clapping snare contrasted with a harsh atmosphere of grainy synths and intense vocals, which gives way into “Perverse.”

The closing track is what truly lets the band shine… yet without much musical composition. You see, Heaven Is Here feels like a slow decay into nothingness, with “Perverse” signifying that finality. With nothing more than oscillating screams, tremolo glitches, and a strange combination of unsettling electronic synths of distortion, the final track is purely chaotic noise. It doesn’t seem like much, but it perfectly encapsulates the essence of CANDY. It’s an uncomfortable ending to an already discomforting album. I won’t lie, this album put me in a strange place, and I even disliked it initially. But let it consume you. Embrace the strangely infectious hardcore style of CANDY and let it soak you in the hellish landscape that is Heaven Is Here.

Domestic Terminal All The Stories Left To TellBÉBE YANA SPACE MULAN
Not Nearly Future DamageRings of Saturn Rings of Saturn
Memphis May Fire Remade in MiserySVMMERCAMP Sequoia

Good To Feel

June 28th 2022

short review for an insane album

digging this a ton lately, can't stop coming back to it

Digging: Domestic Terminal - All The Stories Left To Tell

Purpl3Spartan

Hot tamale of music

JesperL
June 28th 2022

gimme that candy floss sweet rev will checc

SteakByrnes
June 28th 2022

Album beats ass, nice little review homie

Digging: Chat Pile - God's Country

pizzamachine

Solid toffee crunch wordage

appreciate it y’all!

and definitely check Jesp, it’s a good time

Wildcardbitchesss
June 28th 2022

Yeah this kicks the shit out of their first record.

Slex
June 28th 2022

Need to see what this is all about

Digging: Norma Jean - Deathrattle Sing for Me

JohnnyoftheWell
June 28th 2022

damn this sounds like a lot

review gives me Code Orange vibes, are these misplaced?

Ryus
June 28th 2022

this doesnt rly remind me of code orange, it's industrial-influenced but in a different way

Digging: Ellen Allien - Fabric 34

June 28th 2022

was gonna take a stab at this if nobody else did but you nailed it!

love that the first 9 tracks are all basically 2-minutes long but then they close with the beast that is "Perverse". their last album is killer as well

Digging: Ben Quad - I'm Scared That's All There Is

JohnnyoftheWell
June 28th 2022

okay nice, will peep this

June 28th 2022

they’re a lot less breakdown/heavy riff driven than Code Orange, and these guys use the glitches and stuff a lot more prominently

and thanks Atari! i still need to jam their last one in full

Wildcardbitchesss

For whatever it’s worth I hate Code Orange but really fuck with this

2CHAINAL
June 28th 2022

I was thinking I was crazy for thinking the production reminded me of Code Orange but done way better

Also, the thrashy parts remind me of Trash Talk a bit, but again, done way better and cleaner

Digging: Chat Pile - God's Country