Sadness (USA)
kiss in october (2017)

by TheSpirit USER (160 Reviews)
June 20th, 2022 | 19 replies

Release Date: 06/20/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Damián Ojeda is an astoundingly talented musician who has a keen awareness of how it’s the heart and not the ears that experience music

Even for a genre that nurtures prolificity like black metal, there are few who operate quite like Damián Ojeda. Beginning his career sometime around 2012, Damián has spent the last decade or so fervently recording music, dispersing material throughout several projects such as the skramz-indebted Life, the esoteric Trhä, and most notably, the atmospheric post-black metal musings of Sadness. The key to his voluminous output is his nonlinear take on the craft, leaving certain songs and projects on the shelf and keeping them there -sometimes for years- until the inspiration to complete them strikes again. His discography is a collection of these snapshots in time, with his “newest” kiss in october an unreleased track he began working on in 2017.

Because of the way Damián has chosen to roll out music, it does make it difficult to gauge the timeline of Sadness’ progression musically: Rain Chamber and our time is here were both released in the last year, but while the former is purely a blackgaze recording, the latter is more reminiscent of Algernon Cadwallader than anything else. Then there is “kiss in october”, which was recorded 5 years ago and sounds like neither of those pieces at all; almost entirely instrumental, the song is 14 minutes of unalloyed post-rock bliss. It holds tightly to the prescribed post-rock aesthetic, but that doesn’t diminish how powerfully the formula is executed. Damián has a way of imbuing his work with a myriad of different sadnesses (pun intended), from the melancholy of the classical piano tinkering in the song’s introduction to the more widescreen wistfulness in the climax. Structurally, it hits all the notes you would expect it to, but the emotional resonance is still profound and affecting.

Damián is an astoundingly talented musician who has a keen awareness of how it’s the heart and not the ears that experience music. He writes tunes that bleed, and “kiss in october” is up there with the best in his quickly growing catalog.

Spiritbox RotoscopeOld Nick Ghost O'Clock
Bloody Keep Bloody KeepPortal Avow
Goodbye World At Death's DoorMesarthim The Degenerate Era

The Rain That Falls Alone

June 20th 2022

I know two reviews on the home page is kind of a no-no, but it's been about 24 hours since I last posted one, so I don't feel too bad about posting again.

MA qualifies this as a single, but his Bandcamp doesn't clarify so, due the length of the material (around 14 minutes) I am going to loosely consider this an EP. Hopefully it doesn't get canned ;]

Digging: Panopticon - Collapse (remixed and remastered)

parksungjoon

prolificititty

when are u gonna be contrib again

pizzamachine
June 20th 2022

The good old thesaurus review.

Digging: Draconian - Under a Godless Veil

"prolificititty

when are u gonna be contrib again"

ayyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. and i dunno, tbh. i'm working on some stuff outside the sputsphere now, so i'm not sure how much free time i have to dedicate myself to enough writing that would earn me that position back. we'll see though!

"The good old thesaurus review."

oh, i didn't think i made it too wordy D:

pizzamachine

I pos’d lol

Mort.
June 20th 2022

yeah i dont think its very wordy

Digging: Nirvana - In Utero

DungeonBoy
June 21st 2022

"The good old thesaurus review", this is concerning.

Good review dude! Admittedly listened to it first before I read the review, but I feel like you hit the nail on the head. I generally steer away from post-rock as it's a genre I became way too burned out on over the years, but when it's done right and feels genuine it still connects, much like this did.

Digging: Suppression - The Sorrow Of Soul Through Flesh

June 21st 2022

Thank you! Yeah I largely feel the same way with post-rock, but this struck a chord with me as well. Damian is very talented, so I shouldn't have been surprised lol.

zaruyache
June 22nd 2022

Is Trha confirmed to be the same guy? I think I thought that at one point but couldn't find confirmation.

nvm apparently metallum also confirms this huh, that's nuts.

June 22nd 2022

Yeah, it was leaked a couple months ago that Damian was Sadness, Trha, & Life.

zaruyache
June 22nd 2022

Welp that just reconfirms they're the current top lofi bm guy, instead of holding two of those spots >_>

also top screamo guy

PortalofPerfection
June 23rd 2022

This isn't unrleased, it's on Somewhere Along Our Memory…?

He also has a couple of other side projects besides the ones mentioned here, including Left Alone, thought I think that's inactive at this point. Can check out "Empty Moment". Darker than anything he ever did for Sadness.

Anyway, nice write up. I feel like Sadness only really speaks to a relatively small percentage of listeners, but for those few of us, his sound is truly something special.

If you haven't already, listen to "Leave". Imo his best album, and it ends with his best song.

Digging: Swampborn - Beyond Ratio

Slex
June 23rd 2022

Damian is a god, Life is especially some of the best heavy music ever made for me

Digging: Conjurer (UK) - Pathos

June 24th 2022

Huh, I didn’t know that he put this out on something else before!

I knew he had a couple other projects but I think this, Trhä, and Life are the most relevant currently. I totally agree the small percentage of listeners and that most of his fans are not just casual about it but really love it.

I would say out of all his projects, Trhä is my favorite, Life is next, and then Sadness. Trhä to me is just something very special.

June 24th 2022

Yeah Slex, Life is incredible. Probably my favorite modern skramz project.

Slex
June 24th 2022

I will have to check out Trhä immediately

June 24th 2022

Every single Trhä record is no less than a 4.5, but Endlhëtonëg is my favorite. It’s a bit different than his other material under that name, it’s way more synth heavy and just had this… magical vibe that truly transports you into some mystical realm. It’s beautiful.

PortalofPerfection
June 24th 2022

Haha, yeah, and I didn't know he had this Trhä project but I'm checking it out ASAP. Life is pretty good but I've always preferred the ethereal atmosphere of Sadness to anything else I've heard from him.