Kendrick Lamar
Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers

by thatdeftkid USER (2 Reviews)
May 13th, 2022 | 16 replies

Release Date: 05/13/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kendrick Lamar bares all: his flaws, perceptions, emotions, struggles with fame, and most importantly, OUR flaws.

Kendrick Lamar bares all: his flaws, perceptions, emotions, struggles with fame, and most importantly, OUR flaws. If there is one thing we can always count on Kendrick doing, it is opening up and being 'real' with his listeners. Throughout Mr. Morale & the Big Stepper, Kendrick calls out American society on many issues like materialism, daddy issues, LGBTQ+ rights, why Kanye got back with Drake, and more, through the lens of husband, father, and rapper turned Pulitzer Prize winner/poetic figure.

Commentary on relationships is nothing new to Kendrick; Opposites Attract, No Makeup, Loyalty, etc. But on "We Cry Together," he reaches an intensity unheard of since Eminem's "Kim" without the violence. Remember, he's in the human business, not the music business. Kendrick continues to become hip-hop's metaphorical father, teaching us life lessons and taking off his mask to encourage us to strip away ours. In this sense, he has every right to adorn himself with a Jesus-like crown, except one made up of diamonds and bullets.

Jack Mancuso CONTRIBUTOR (4)
1,855 days, I been goin thru somethin...

MiloRuggles STAFF (3.3)
My brain hurts a lot...

TheGlowingWeen (4.5)
Kendrick Lamar crafts an unruly and challenging masterpiece that encourages us to be better....

veninblazer
May 13th 2022

is this a glorified soundoff

butt.
May 13th 2022

2 small paragraphs for a double album…that’s like 3 sentences per disc here. Yeah imma call this a soundoff

Drifter

an intensity unheard of since Eminem’s “Kim” without the violence

YoYoMancuso
May 13th 2022

deleting my review i have been outclassed

Digging: Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter

lg433
May 13th 2022

dawg if you listened to savior this isn't supposed to be the interpretation "kendrick made you think about it, but he is not your savior"

May 13th 2022

Remember, he's in the human business, not the music business.

vult
May 13th 2022

I don’t think it’s that poorly written. Just very much lacking in the “review” department.

its both agreed

deathschool
May 13th 2022

Eminem’s “Kim” without the violence is just 4’33” by John Cage.

Mort.
May 14th 2022

'Eminem’s “Kim” without the violence is just 4’33” by John Cage'

looool

Digging: As Cities Burn - Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest

Get Low
May 14th 2022

pos'd

newsteamchannel4
May 15th 2022

“In this sense, he has every right to adorn himself with a Jesus-like crown, except one made up of diamonds and bullets.”

pizzamachine
May 15th 2022

I got from this review that this is “intense” hip-hop.

XSebbyMcMuffinX
May 15th 2022

Hmm... yeah, this isn't much of a review. You could replace the artist and track names, and the brief description of album themes, and this could instantly be about Kanye or any other major rapper.

Personally, I'd stay away from statements like "he's in the human business, not the music business." I get trying to emphasize that he has a unique approach, but he definitely IS in the music business; Him knowing how to portray himself and appeal to the public is a very large part of why he's successful.

Also, your last statement about the Jesus crown; I get why it would make sense to say he was "crucified" by exploitation for money or violence and persevered through it to speak about it, but I think it's a bit too on-the-nose to be relevant to his more nuanced approach. Plus he's really not trying to be all "woe is me." I almost never get the impression that he's trying to make me sympathize rather than present me with perspectives and scenarios that I might learn something from the natural occurrence of.

May 15th 2022

^ this comment is more of a review than the review lmao

XSebbyMcMuffinX
May 16th 2022

Oh shit thanks?

I was gonna say I just realized he does say he's in the human business. Shit. lmao

I still stand by my statement.