Haunted Shores
Void

by pizzamachine USER (261 Reviews)
May 12th, 2022 | 17 replies

Release Date: 03/11/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Instrumental metal that doesn’t put you to sleep.

Void is a death metal/metalcore/djent album. It’s also an instrumental album. Aside from two atmospheric tracks, the album is a nearly endless barrage of slammed drums and frantically shredded guitars. The tracks with riffs are entirely predictable. No dynamics, and no relent, with equally skillful musicians. The album favours the drummer. The constant use of double bass pedals and blast beats, combined with the drums loudness in the mix, puts them at forefront. The impressive display is similar to the band Rings of Saturn, which is high praise. I love how the drums sound, although the mix does take away some weight from the guitars. It’s not a huge problem, but it is a noticeable distraction, to not have cohesion.

As previously stated, there are two atmospheric tracks. One is a nice spacey, ambient track, and the other similar to a sci-fi movie soundtrack like TRON: Legacy or Oblivion. The only downside is that they don’t fit the album’s narrative. If they used some of that spacey ambience amidst the guitars they might have a more varied album, but Void really is a straightforward metal onslaught with negative personality points. It’s by no means a classic album, or one that particularly stands out, but it’s still an incredibly solid piece of heavy, instrumental music. It’s a fun time throughout, remaining an engaging listen from start to finish.

Wage War ManicEpica Omega
Visions Of Atlantis PiratesBeing Anthropocene
Recode the Subliminal The Cost of Every ManAnimals As Leaders Parrhesia

Viscera

It’s a very hard 3.5.

Slex
May 12th 2022

Yea i heard this is good need to check

Digging: Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis II: A Window of the Waking Mind

Do it. Do it now. m/

Scoot

viscera fucks pretty hard

Digging: Tomberlin - i don?t know who needs to hear this...

alkostach
May 12th 2022

I really liked this one. I return to it from time to time and always have a lot of fun. It's somewhere between 3.5 and 4. But I'm a nice guy, so you know.

Yeah I’d rate it 3.75 but I don’t have special emergency powers. 🥺

Purpl3Spartan

Guys I think Tundra might like this for some reason

I can't quite put my finger on why

May 12th 2022

Anyways, least I dont have to review this one like every other instrumental djent album. I prefer Viscera to this, but the artwork for this is very gewd. That's a gist of why this is my pfp.

This was a snooze

Digging: Ibibio Sound Machine - Electricity

May 12th 2022

Fuck writing an essay of band comparisons, ain’t got time for that bullshit.

Koris
May 13th 2022

"Nah this summary ain't it, Animals as Leaders, Intervals, Sithu Aye, Modern Day Babylon, only to name a few, gtfo"

Apparently you don't remember that he gave The Madness of Many a 1/5 review, lol

May 13th 2022

Ah, but ‘twas a clever joke

May 13th 2022

Tbh, Animals as Leaders are in a league of their own and I would never compare them to another band.

OwMySnauze
May 13th 2022

The sax is overdone. One time was enough on their debut.

Digging: Aura of Birth - Immersive

May 13th 2022

Viscera just shits on this in every conceivable way

AlexKzillion
May 14th 2022

i forgot this came out lol damn gonna check rn