Haircuts for Men
HFM88

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
March 17th, 2022 | 16 replies

Release Date: 02/08/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hawaiian vaporwave...

I recently discovered Haircuts for Men and was absorbed into this euphoric universe the prolific, Hawaiian vaporwave artist creates. It is quite a task to go through the dozens of albums Andre Maximillion released, but the latest journey, HFM88 is a perfect gateway. The LP presents one hour of downtempo based jams carefully layered from various bits and samples into one beautiful, cohesive listen. These songs feel timeless and evoke complex vibes. At times, I was relaxed in a lounging-on-the-beach kind of way as the trip hop beats on “Chillwalker” and “The Descent 2” gently cruised by, complete with warm synths and saxophones. Also, the Latino-infused acoustic guitar on “Carbon Copies” amplified this breezy atmosphere amid groovy bass lines. Suddenly, a touch of nostalgia crept upon me, especially on the laid back “Free Dreaming”. The downtuned, melancholic keys represent best the sound of an era long gone, as if listened through an old cassette player.

Luckily, HFM88 doesn’t delve too much on downers, switching to a late night, often sensual lounge tone for the second half. Cuts such as “Officer Callahan” & “Boones Afterparty” play smooth collages of jazzy chill out origins. The former features calm piano leads over a mellow bass, unfolding so softly it could put you to sleep. Meanwhile, “Boones Afterparty” takes cues from those Café Del Mar ambient compilations full of guitar leads and brass keys. This trip continues until “Yuri Krivonsischenko” and “Paracausally Inept” close the LP with sunnier themes. Whoever came up with those cozy synthesizer pads, which ultimately graced thousands of similar tracks, deserves endless praise. You can never seem to get enough of them. Although most of the parts are chopped and manipulated from various other artists’ music, Haircuts for Men did a splendid job creating a familiar but complex sound that feels his very own. Perhaps a bit longer than it should have been, HFM88 does its job nevertheless. You can actively listen to it or just leave it running in the background. Andre’s discography is quite massive, still, this is a lovely, immediate affair that deserves more exposure.

Tim Bowness Butterfly MindViagra Boys Cave World
Sasquatch Fever FantasyWo Fat The Singularity
Spiritualized Everything Was BeautifulCalexico El Mirador

March 17th 2022

Lovely album that I wish I discovered a month ago to maybe get it featured. This is quite accessible for vaporwave and can be simply taken as a downtempo/ambient album.

Stream here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYQHGKfNtLE

Digging: Tim Bowness - Butterfly Mind

dedex
March 17th 2022

the combo artist title + summary makes me wanna both check this and not check this

cool lil rev!

March 17th 2022

Thanks. Haha, yeah, I get it, it's a nice record though, closer to synthwave rather than cut and paste vaporwave stuff

B A R B E R B E A T S

Digging: The Gray Goo - 1943

March 17th 2022

btw if you dig this you gotta also check out Monodrone

especially the album with gigachad on the cover

FadedSun
March 17th 2022

Never expected to see a review from this artist on here. I've seen a ton of their albums on Youtube.

normaloctagon

Intriguing

Pho3nix
March 17th 2022

There are better vaporwave albums out there obviously - what a peculiar choice for an album cover though. It does not imply the chill beats contained within this.

Digging: Karl Sanders - Saurian Apocalypse

Snake.

we still listening to vaporwave in 2022 huh

Digging: Knoll - Metempiric

Pho3nix

We'll never stop.

normaloctagon
March 18th 2022

"we still listening to vaporwave in 2022 huh"

yeah, why, did u stop?

zaruyache

88 in the title is always sus, i presume they aren't buuuuuut

twlight
March 18th 2022

haven't checked this yet but will,

album "a path" is really good too and on bandcamp

Digging: NOISIA - Closer

March 18th 2022

Thanks for the feature mods! I listened a lot to the "pink sprayed" album, don't know the name.

Monodrone has some great LPs indeed.

MO
March 18th 2022

niiice. love me some vapourwave. telepath and disconscious in particular. will check this

March 18th 2022

before this he released HFM82 and HFM84, it's just a 80s year and you're being paranoid