Sakis Tolis
Among the Fires of Hell

by manosg STAFF
March 13th, 2022 | 18 replies

Release Date: 03/22/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Courage is a kind of salvation.

Fact #1: A Dead Poem, at the time of its release, was Rotting Christ's breakthrough and is still their most commercially successful album.

Fact #2: During RC's mid-period, and particularly during the conception of Sleep of the Angels, Sakis Tolis was dealing with depression, which had a direct impact on the sound of the aforementioned 1997-99 albums.

Fact #3: Rotting Christ's success, considering the circumstances in Greece during the late-'80s and early-'90s, is nothing short of a miracle, which, in large, became reality due to Sakis Tolis' courage, perseverance, and work ethic.

So when he was forced to abstain from touring as a result of the consecutive lockdowns, he had to fight depression once again and, consciously or not, decided to revisit Rotting Christ's mid-period. Therefore, Among the Fires of Hell is an externalization of Tolis' psyche during that era and a deeply personal affair. Of course, it's also a fine slab of blackened gothic metal which will definitely appeal to those who consider A Dead Poem a gem.

Right from the bat, the title track's opening verse, "let me sleep the sleep of the angels", is a direct reference to 1999's homonymous album and a mission statement. The aforementioned track is one of the standouts, with its infectious groove and impressive leads that feel as if they're rooted in the Greek tradition. Of course, not everything is within Sakis' comfort zone. "My Salvation", for example, is the first song in his career where he utilizes only clean vocals that bring to mind Nick Holmes. This song probably describes most Tolis' state of mind during the quarantine but also features some compelling spoken lyrics. In fact, as melancholic as Among the Fires of Hell is, it is also motivating and uplifting due to its epic guitar leads and motivational quotes in almost every song. This is a prime example of an artist communicating directly with his fans about common issues during a difficult time in everyone's lives and providing encouragement.

Now, Among the Fires of Hell is not all about reminiscence, as it also contains elements from Christ's modern material scattered within songs in the form of war-like rhythms or vocal patterns. Unfortunately, the one occasion that seems to escape the mid-period rule, "Silence", is the EPs weakest track. Nevertheless, that shouldn't deter you from checking Tolis' inaugural release, as it's quite spectacular if you're into RC's 1997-99 material and a solid slab of atmospheric metal.

Stone Axe Stay of ExecutionSaxon Carpe Diem
1914 Where Fear and Weapons MeetHeavy Feather Mountain of Sugar
The Night Flight Orchestra Aeromantic IIBlack Label Society Doom Crew Inc.

March 13th 2022

Don't miss out on this one if you're into A Dead Poem and Sleep of the Angels.

"Among the Fires of Hell": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hj2_JLsKe0

"My Salvation": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20ApQ152g8

Digging: The Snakes - Live in Europe

Gnocchi
March 13th 2022

Alright this sounds more interesting than it has a right to be. I’ll add it to the list

March 13th 2022

It's a fanboyish review, but hopefully this one won't disappoint you Rob.

March 14th 2022

What's Adrian Brody doing on the album cover

Digging: Cheem - Guilty Pleasure

Egarran
March 14th 2022

Ooh a William Blake reference

1992 Comments

is this an album or a netflix series

Digging: YOURMOM - Dissent

Dedes
March 15th 2022

Great review brother will czech
Always adored Rotting Christ and they're defiance within black metal. Considering how conservative Greece is its incredibly godddamn impressive that they managed the popularity they did.

Voivod

Album stream:

Short and sweet review, will listen sooner or later.

March 16th 2022

Appreciate it, brothers. Hope you enjoy this one.

Dewinged
March 16th 2022

Love me some RC, didn't realize the connection until you reviewed manosg, will have to give it a check.

" a fine slab of blackened gothic metal"

Yep, definitely checking this.

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - July 15, 1972

March 16th 2022

Sweet! Just bear in mind that it's a bit different from modern RC.

alkostach
March 16th 2022

So this basically a rehash of RC from the mostly goth era? Okay for me. I've liked even the most goth of their albums.

themoviesinner
March 18th 2022

Good review. I enjoyed this EP, but It's probably a weak offering when compared to other Rotting Christ works. But Sakis Tolis is always an interesting songwriter and it's nice that he is giving us some music for free. Ad Astra was my favorite track.

TheNotrap
March 23rd 2022

I was expecting something different from Rotting Christ as it is his solo release. I'm enjoying it so far, kinda by the book but the songs are nice.

Digging: Embryonic Devourment - Heresy of the Highest Order

garas
March 24th 2022

Oh, didn't notice this was reviewed already! I'm really digging this album, I'd say this is just as good as other Rotting Christ albums!

March 25th 2022

Absolutely. Even better than modern RC.

March 25th 2022

1992 Comments

damn alt cover looks even more like a netflix ad

April 2nd 2022