Reeking Aura
Beneath the Canopy of Compost

by Zach USER (123 Reviews)
February 20th, 2022 | 7 replies

Release Date: 2020 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Something stinks.

Beneath the Canopy of Compost is not an EP looking for innovation. I would argue that this short-lived slime and sludge ridden riff behemoth is actually quite comfortable borrowing from early death metal classics to create a putrid slurry of tried-and-true guttural fury. That does not diminish the wonders of individuality and creativity, as it is those forces that propel music into sounds once thought inconceivable. For every counter culture there is, however, an intrepid hero diving into the known miasma that spawns forth the giants that are already known;Cryptopsy, Dismember, Vital Remains, etc.

At least these are bands that come to my now desiccate temporal lobe (desiccated undoubtedly from the necrotic fumes that this monster emits). To start, the vocals. Deep, guttural, bellowing, and, in moments, bordering the nonsensical monstrous babbling that the aforementioned Cryptopsy emits. This is complemented by crunchy buzzsaw riffs that are surprisingly resplendent with melodic hooks (in the vein of Like An Everflowing Stream), as well as drum patterns that will shear your face from your skull and compel you to windmill faster than a freshly coked-out George Corpsegrinder. This primal and wonderfully meatheaded energy is what makes Beneath the Canopy of Compost such a goddamn blast. Originality is not a staple here, nor should it be. There are beacons of light to draw influence from, and with bands like Reeking Aura, the torch is passed down to carry the progenitors mantra of the greatest contribution of mankind-the riff.

AngelMaker SanctumAllegaeon Damnum
Wedrujacy Wiatr Zorzysta Staje OcmaDark Matter (MEX) Dystopian
Fit for an Autopsy Oh What the Future HoldsShadow Of Intent Elegy

February 20th 2022

The album fucking m/'s

Where is Hawks to approve my meatheaded ideology when I need him.

February 21st 2022

I need an m/ stat

February 21st 2022

Oh I forgot here's the bandcamp link

Also apparently Colin Marston mastered this and tje drummer from Afterbirth is on this record. P neat.

TheNotrap
February 22nd 2022

Nice of you to give some visibility to an unknown band (at least to me). I'll take a peek.

m/

Digging: Kardashev - Liminal Rite

February 22nd 2022

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't have a lot of traction anywhere tbh. I think they're on Profound Lore records and everyone on this record are relatively seasoned musicians. Glad I got someone to jam it tho lmao, I guess self spamming works sometimes.

TheNotrap
February 22nd 2022

These guys keep it filthy and simple, I dig it, especially the groovy mid-paced sections.

RickGSF
March 8th 2022

Thanks for the kind words. Wait til you hear the new album. It's done and ready to go. News about it will come soon. 7 songs.