Pridelands
Light Bends

by Tyler W. CONTRIBUTOR (61 Reviews)
January 14th, 2022 | 25 replies

Release Date: 01/14/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Room to breathe

Over the last several years, Pridelands has begun to establish themselves as a rather prominent modern metalcore group. They have everything necessary to succeed in the genre. Driving grooves, catchy melodies, intense vocals, techy riffs, all the necessities. But that’s just it, it was everything needed for metalcore that has been crafted before. However, with Light Bends, Pridelands has gone beyond their utilities and crafted a record of impressive songwriting and cohesive band chemistry. Instead of fitting into the metalcore mold, they allowed their music to breathe and forge its own path, resulting in airy record full of captivating melodies and infectious rhythms. What we have here is a debut album that builds upon their established style from the singles and EPs, improving what is already great.

Throughout the album, the group shifts back and forth between their aggressive and melodic natures, providing listeners with a contrast that presents itself beautifully within Light Bends. With the opening stretch, “The Walls” and “Antipathy” showcase Pridelands’ ability to compose catchy, rhythmic riffs that glide across the tracks with a rich, aggressive tonality. On the other hand, “Evergrowth” and “Safer Here” experiment with the more atmospheric and lucid aura of the band’s style. These melodically beautiful moments captivate listeners with lush ambience and subtle progression in the songwriting. Whether focusing on the intense or the gentle, Light Bends excels in combining the two seamlessly, crafting an effortless, cohesive project that balances the heavy and the light aspects.

Ultimately, what propels this record above their previous is the balance of the vocal styles. In the past, they’ve been reliant on the abrasive screams and putting cleans over certain verses and choruses where it seemed right. However, with their latest effort, Pridelands allows the vocals to breathe and find their place without being forced. “Parallel Lines” finds itself encompassed by powerful screams throughout its verses, only to explode into a massive clean chorus with rich, gritty singing that elevates the track even further. “Translucent Blues” utilizes the screams to build the composition to an immense climax that leaves listeners captivated by its overwhelming presence. Through both the screams and cleans, Light Bends produces an atmosphere that naturally progresses and feels whole and complete.

Despite this being the group’s debut full-length, Light Bends already feels like a record crafted by even the most seasoned veterans of the genre. Without feeling disjointed or forced, Pridelands’ first record feels natural and composed, allowing the songwriting to follow its own path separate from normal routine and formula. For a genre so saturated by the need to maintain prescribed structure, Light Bends is a breath of fresh air for the listeners of the genre. The ability to craft moments of glistening melody with aggressive, infectious grooves while permitting the band’s chemistry to glide fluidly throughout is something rare within metalcore today. It might be too early to say, but Pridelands is sure to have a fruitful career ahead of them with such a powerful first impression under their belts.

Volumes Happier?Silent Planet Iridescent
Every Time I Die RadicalSentinels (US) Collapse by Design
Starset HORIZONSInvent Animate The Sun Sleeps, As If It Never Was

January 14th 2022

Album Stream: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXpcI4Ww0pU_y_8drQHbkvYUyuOnO01fG

This thing absolutely surprised me. I've enjoyed some of Pridelands stuff, but it always felt like just another metalcore band. But this... this was something else entirely. Amazing record with many many highlights

Digging: The Amazing Devil - Ruin

Righteous review ty!

Hyped to check this when it releases in a bit.

Digging: Geese - Projector

January 14th 2022

appreciate it man! I'm sure you'll dig

Yeah I hope so!

Gonna spin natives to lead into it

January 14th 2022

Nice. Never heard of these guys. Will check.

onionbubs
January 14th 2022

just jammed natives and a couple of bangin non album singles, and am in the midst of jamming this rn and its safe to say this band rules

Not feeling this.

yessir onion, goes hard

rough to see Get Low

January 14th 2022

Cool stuff! Glad they got out an lp. I was hoping for a couple more bangers than we got but they nailed the melodic side of their sound so not too many complaints

January 14th 2022

Just going by what it says in the review, I feel like I'd like the EPs more. I'm gonna check those.

January 14th 2022

Yeah check natives. It’s slappers front to back

word

Gnocchi
January 14th 2022

I guess we’re moving away from the blue artwork aesthetic

SteakByrnes
January 14th 2022

Nice review man, album owns

Digging: Kaizo Slumber - The Kaizo Manifesto

Durrzo
January 14th 2022

Bout to spin this, been waiting years for these boys to put out a full length. Very hyped and very happy to see them getting a featured review.

ChoccyPhilly
January 14th 2022

Cool, I'll give it a try

Digging: Earl Sweatshirt - Sick!

January 14th 2022

definitely give it a shot, worth at least listening through it once

appreciate the kind words y’all!

Project
January 14th 2022

mm giving this a shot but it kinda just sounds like all modern metalcore to me: overly polished, technically proficient but in very safe ways, too reliant on screamed verse/clean chorus combos, just absolutely allergic to dynamics and pacing

lovely writeup though

Feather
January 14th 2022

I am enjoying this, but I fear it is going to fall in with Acres as being a band I really appreciate but rarely return to and doesn't necessarily standout in the crowd.

January 14th 2022

I checked the EPs and didn't care for them. This band just isn't for me.