Kim Petras
Clarity

Release Date: 2019 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All I do is cry about you. I ain't worried 'bout nada 'less it Gucci 'less it Prada.

The dualism of Kim Petras' debut has always been striking to me. There's a lot of materialist flexing on the album, backed by simple, effective rhyming, but there's also a lot of depth lurking just under the surface. Singing about heartbreak is nothing new in pop, sure, but there's something undeniably interesting about the way Kim juxtaposes shallow, consumerist impulse with baring her soul. Almost a case study in the ups and downs one experiences during romantic breakups, Clarity sees Kim oscillate between filling the hole in her heart with handbags, lamenting her lost love, and decrying the one who made her heart so Icy. Add in her engaging vocal range, clever references to the experience of being a transgender woman, and you get a seriously fun pop album that surpasses its contemporaries without reinventing the wheel.

The attitude and emotive quality of this album can be found on some of her newer singles, but Kim has largely moved on from the self-described “sad girl” aesthetic, finding confidence in her ability to craft moving pop songs that don't revolve around a singular relationship experience. Hopefully she'll soon find the confidence and clarity to move on her from her producer as well—leaving her comfort zone in this way would undoubtedly catapult her to the next level of her artistry. Until then, Clarity remains the most consistent and inspired studio work she's released to date, injecting the modern pop formula with unique catharsis.

Al Wootton Callers SpringKim Petras Slut Pop
Enya CloudsBurial ANTIDAWN EP
Burial Chemz/DolphinzMeshell Ndegeocello Peace Beyond Passion
Get Low (3.5)
Secure the bag, sis....

Drifter
January 10th 2022

much better than get low's review. should be the flagged one instead of his

edit: oh shit it is m/

January 10th 2022

ye generally a new review will become the flagged if none of the older reviews were written by contribs or staff.

alb rules

JohnnyoftheWell
January 10th 2022

Luvly stuff, dunno why I haven't heard this one

"Hopefully she'll soon find the confidence and clarity to move on her from her producer as well—leaving her comfort zone in this way would undoubtedly catapult her to the next level of her artistry."

Is this a specific Dr Luke ref? Wasn't sure whether to read it as an evasive point if so or a general creative growth point if not

Digging: Dream Dolphin - Dolphins Talk to You

JohnnyoftheWell
January 10th 2022

Omg look at you laying down multiple subtexts. Peng!

parksungjoon

what about dom texts

JesperL
January 10th 2022

sweet review sweet album hell yeah

Digging: Dream Dolphin - Dolphins Talk to You

January 10th 2022

nice review. brief reviews are nice but I would like to see this fleshed out a lil more. but good stuff

album is cringe though

January 10th 2022

She just released an official dance video for Coconuts, I've never clicked on a Youtube video so fast in my life.

January 11th 2022

Coconuts is one of the worst pop songs of all time so I will make sure I avoid that video

but pos [2]

oh and I will

dedex
January 11th 2022

oh waw! cool lil rev bro!

i still have to jam this

brandontaylor
January 27th 2022

shorty in the bathroom and she asking where the coke at

i spent 20000 just to leave it on a coatrack

January 27th 2022

kiss it, lick it, flip it

leave you handprints on my ass, yeah