Burial
ANTIDAWN EP

Release Date: 01/06/2022 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Burial takes his beatless music to the next level

On ANTIDAWN EP, Burial finally gives us more than a passing impression of what his music sounds like without stepping rhythms or claps. That's right ladies, gents, people—Burial has released an ambient album.

All I really want is you...close to me...again...

Ambient music is scattered throughout Burial's discography. Nearly all of his releases include at least one ambient tune or section, though this never became a focus until well into the 2010s. The Nighmarket/Young Death and Subtemple/Beachfires releases saw Burial applying his early 2010 multi-section approach to an ambient tilt, with mixed results. Following this, Burial focused on crafting a whole ambient tune (much like the ones on S/T and Untrue) as the foil to a heavier, beat-focused A-side. The result was better, but still not as impactful as we were accustomed to. Many found themselves asking: what ever happened to the artist that could make music feel like it was made just for me? With each release, Burial was feeling farther and farther away.

Then Chemz/Dolphinz dropped. The format wasn't altogether too different, but the music was. “Chemz” was arguably the heaviest tune Burial had ever made, and “Dolphinz” was the first to truly succeed at combining the multi-section approach with a fully ambient experience. But as the only other song on a two-track EP, its impact was questionable, and its reception was varied. With this new release, however, Burial successfully expands on the precedent set by “Dolphinz.” There are no stepping or ferocious beats here, and those looking for a retread of old releases will be disappointed. Focusing entirely on the softer side of his music for the first time, Burial breathes new life into his discography, creating his first masterpiece in nearly a decade.

The title seems to reference the resistance to daylight that a raver often feels in the wee hours of the morning, which would fall in line with the familiar Burial ethos (ever been at a party at dawn, wishing the sun would just wait and give you more bloody time to dance, or walked home afterwards wishing you could go back for just one more tune?), but truthfully, this plays like a breakup album. Burial's music is no stranger to r&b-leaning samples that touch on the powerful qualities of love, ecstasy, loneliness, and heartbreak, but here, the vocal samples stack on top of one another to form a narrative that sounds like someone reflecting on a past love and nursing a broken heart. Whether this is a literal person or a metaphor for the raves that Burial's music is often centered around is debatable (“Upstairs Flat” certainly provides a convincing argument for the former), but the story-telling is undeniably different here. And the music is massive.

Without hats, claps, and kicks to hug the vocal samples, human voice takes center stage, complemented by woozy pads, delicious organ and piano lines, softly chiming bells, and distorted fuzz galore. The easiest comparisons for melodies and overall sentiment would be Kindred, Untrue, and Street Halo, but don't let this fool you—there is a new vigor here that gives the music its own character. This may not be apparent on first blush, but with repeat spins, nearly 45 minutes will pass by in a heartbeat. Fresh, focused, and immersive, ANTIDAWN EP is a real treat for those who can close their eyes and listen. Open your heart, and let it take you into the night.

Kim Petras ClarityBurial Chemz/Dolphinz

swag

Digging: Bladee - Royal Mix

Minushuman24
January 6th 2022

holy hell out put this out fast

January 6th 2022

I've disliked his last five EPs so idk about this

Digging: Freshman Biology - Only Thing I Want To Keep

JohnnyoftheWell
January 6th 2022

nice nice, love a good contextual write. big pos. only ~gripe is that your last, otherwise v sound paragraph rounds off rather abruptly. not sure what there is to add - maybe a couple of extra sentences ruminating on what we are to do with that new vigour? - but the shift from analysis to [END] is a big boi. maybe.

anyway guess I'll peep Chemz/Dolphins and then this

Digging: yourboyfriendsucks! - Episode 1

robertsona
January 6th 2022

Norma lowkey nice with it

Gnocchi
January 6th 2022

This is a neat little write up. Pos’d

Digging: Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion

FadedSun
January 6th 2022

I fell asleep to this last night, and all I remember was that it was so disjointed. An idea would start, then collapse, then another idea would come in. Some choppy vocals would fade in and out. Like a song wanted to start, but couldn't quite get there. I woke up somewhere in the middle of Antidawn and stopped it. Need to listen to this more attentively, but I feel weird about it at the moment.

January 6th 2022

: ) i really appreciate the feedback johnny. actually considered dming you for help with the last paragraph but am independent to a fault sometimes, and was obv excited to just post it and have a thread. i will ruminate a bit and see if any inspiration for connective sentence tissue hits the brain

@treb if u end up giving it a shot i hope it does something for ya!

@fadedsun understandable and hope that the addtl time you spend with it is rewarding. i personally find that it flows extremely well

Scoot

20957 Comments

please let this even be a 3.5

TheSpaceMan

omg

rabidfish
January 7th 2022

It's a pretty solid effort. And I'm not a big fan of his recent work.

Digging: Locust - Morning Light

January 7th 2022

yeah this is prob my fave of his in a while

Makemebad35
January 7th 2022

Nice review. Can't wait to check it out.

JohnnyoftheWell
January 7th 2022

"independent to a fault sometimes, and was obv excited to just post it and have a thread"

major relate lol; dw about it tbh, it's not a sinker or anything, but if that Final Thought You Wish You'd Had Earlier occurs to you in the next few days, you know where to stick it ;]

@jotw 😘

@rabidfish glad to hear man, you too ryus

@make thx!!

Dewinged
January 7th 2022

Great write up Octa, I've never been a fan of his stuff but the way you describe it makes me want to give it a chance.

Digging: Tomb of Annihilation - End of Time

tysm dewi!!!

January 7th 2022

the beatless are my favorite band

January 7th 2022

Realized after posting and was waiting for someone to make that joke, so glad it was u man 😂🥲