Phrenelith
Chimaera

by Robert Garland STAFF
December 12th, 2021 | 172 replies

Release Date: 12/10/2021 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sledgehammers. Just in time for Christmas.

Has death metal ever been quite so apt during the course of a whole year? 2021 would like to think so. And just like all those death metal acts before it, Phrenelith manages to hammer in every single trope from the old-school of death metal genre while conforming to what modern death metal has to offer. Confused? You had better not be—while Chimaera emulates every dream team response a world of blast beats and gnarled riffs has to offer, the band’s soundscapes are summed up in an insurmountable display of bludgeoning, hammer-fisted death metal. Does it riff? Would it possibly run over your cat should it step out on the road at the wrong time? Of course Chimaera ***ing would. But I’m not going to sit here and implore that Phrenelith’s newest deathly export doesn’t swing like the hammer it is, weathered calluses and a veteran grip.

Chimaera itself lacks dexterity. It's blunt. Of the album’s seven tracks you’d be hard pressed to find bright melodies and wholesome atmospheres. Only murk and mirth are to be uncovered in Chimaera’s depths. Continuing the analogy above; this hammer is heavy on one end. Namely, the bottom—or the top if you contain the strength to hold it upright. Forged steel at the end of a worn handle, swung by those who know their craft. Despite this there’s no denying the power here, fit for a trundle or journey; hi-vis vest over the top of a flannelette shirt (probably one that hasn’t been washed in weeks) and yet there’s a gentle masculinity to be found deep within “Χίμαιρα” that might eventually get you laid. Just don’t play this on the way to your first date.

Slytherin Tales of Hogsmeade VillagePensees Nocturnes Douce Fange
Mizmor Wit's EndOAR The Blood You Crave
Hadal Maw Oblique OrderFuneral Praesentialis in Aeternum

Desolate Endscape

December 12th 2021

This one's for Fern. Tried some short form - which I most likely suck at.

If you want that Bandcamp link, it's here somewhere: https://nuclearwinterrecords.bandcamp.com/album/chimaera

Digging: Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion

Digging: Wiegedood - There's Always Blood at the End of the Road

You know what?

DDDeftoneDDD

19656 Comments

Another one...year ain t over yet etc
Oof will prob start my list with great things yet to listen lol as always

December 12th 2021

We’re almost over. We’re getting there.

Deathconscious
December 12th 2021

Feels really lazy to put three new songs on an album and throw some old ones on and call it a full length. Idk why they didnt just release those three as an EP, but oh well. Ill be jamming this anyways, Desolate Endscape always hits the spot.

Digging: Charnel Altar - Abatement Of The Sun

parksungjoon
December 12th 2021

they caught a terminal spirit disease

MotokoKusanagi
December 12th 2021

oh fuck yeah i still jam Desolate Endscape somewhat often. had no clue these guys were even still making music, neat album art too. bookmarked

December 12th 2021

sick album, was slightly dissatisfied but overall still sick, was happy to see a release

Digging: Quo Vadis - Day Into Night

Kusangii
December 12th 2021

"they caught a terminal spirit disease"

HAHAHA LOL THAT'S SO FUNNY

December 12th 2021

digging the shorter staff reviews lately, I’m finding as I get older I’m becoming more and more of a straight to the point kinda guy, so cheers to you

Hyperion1001
December 12th 2021

agreed cap, I think short forms are way more valuable in the modern media context. some albums necessitate a deep dive but most everything nowadays can be summed up with “genre + good/bad”. Throw in some descriptive words and I’m good lmao.

Digging: Needlepusher - Abyssal Internment

December 12th 2021

Yee also hype you gotta lemme know how that show goes tonight, have fun!

Hyperion1001
December 12th 2021

oh I’ll post updates in the thread for sure!

m/

JesperL
December 12th 2021

yeah big fan of shorter/this review as well, will jam right this goddamn second

Digging: yourboyfriendsucks! - Episode 1

Voivod
December 12th 2021

Have a soft spot for Danish extreme metal bands, will be checking this out.

Digging: Kold Front - Kold Front

JayEnder
December 12th 2021

Oh damn, had no idea this was coming out! Will czech.

Digging: Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave