Megadeth
Risk

by ValenDreth USER (42 Reviews)
December 3rd, 2021 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A failed attempt at stardom that needs a second look. In honor of crypto, let's take a second look.

Risk is one of the most beloved games in board game history. It is often lauded for its emphasis on strategy, intelligence, calculation, and of course, "risk." Dave Mustaine was likely playing this board game when he came up with this album, because a guitarist that good has the compositional skills required for the level of strategy the game of Risk demands. 1999's Risk has become something of a punchline in recent years, but I think it's worth a second look.

So, what do the late 90s make us think of? Well, I think of big jeans. Crazy goth kids. Megadeth tune into the zeitgeist and absorb the feel of the time from the very start of the album. "Insomnia" has crazy samples, awesome keyboard sounds; it really deserves a second look because it evokes the feel of a late 90s goth club. Megadeth were willing to experiment while others took the path of least resistance. "Prince of Darkness" evokes the feel of a dance party in hell. Dave sounds absolutely chilling and menacing as he delivers a spoken word piece that beat Lulu to the punch by over a decade.

"Enter the Arena" is a pleasant interlude that serves as a nice breather before we get to the next crushing track, entitled "Crush 'Em." Wow, this is evil. This song gets flack from Megadeth poseurs but this is an epic dance song, I start hopping up in down when I hear Dave sing. He reminds me of the Eurythmics. Love the epic bass as well, this track deserves a second look. The next song "Breadline" describes the type of communism we live under now, where grocery stores are empty. Foreshadowing the current times while simultaneously embodying them proves that Dave Mustaine is both a shaman and a man of contradiction, conviction, and pure dedication. He took a "risk," dammit. Isn't that what heavy metal is about? He farts in the face of social norms, and rewrites them for himself.

The rest of the albums follows in a similar fashion, taking risk after risk, living up to its name and the name of the board game that spawned it. Megadeth truly are the Stratego of thrash bands, and while some may say this is not thrash, I was thrashed just the same by the sonic complexities and mesmerizing pop hooks. When metal makes you dance so hard, you have to give it up for it. Please give Risk a second look.

System of a Down MezmerizeDropkick Murphys Turn Up That Dial
Shub Niggurath The Kinglike Celebration (Final Aeon on Earth)Soundtrack (Video Game) Fallout: New Vegas
The Offspring Let the Bad Times RollSnoop Dogg Bible Of Love
2.3

nickslip
December 3rd 2021

It ain't a Valen review without a fart reference

Koris

Underrated album

BigPleb
December 3rd 2021

Grown to appreciate this album over time, Breadline is so good.

Muzz79
December 3rd 2021

Risk the game good. Risk the album not

Digging: Sgaile - Ideals & Morality

rodrigo90
December 3rd 2021

They give STP's core a 3 but megadeth's risk receives a 4. WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE.

TheSonomaDude
December 3rd 2021

i've heard this album like 20 times and it still sucks balls. i cant hear anything that megadave defenders adamantly claim

Tundra
December 4th 2021

albums not so bad

Purpl3Spartan
December 5th 2021

It ain't a Valen review without a fart reference (2)

Digging: Geese - Projector

LaughingSkull
December 6th 2021

"A failed attempt at stardom" implying that they weren't already huge by the time Countdown to Extinction rolled out? lol

TheAntichrist
December 7th 2021

gud ablum

Digging: Carcass - Swansong

therapy20
December 7th 2021

"Dave Mustaine is both a shaman and a man of contradiction, conviction, and pure dedication"

My word, you're giving him more gravitas than he deserves, this album is just poor.