Soundtrack (Video Game)
Fallout: New Vegas

by ValenDreth USER (42 Reviews)
November 28th, 2021 | 26 replies

This is an epic soundtrack that conveys loneliness, hopelessness, craziness. Obsidian are like Treyarch, and Black Ops 2 is much like New Vegas. They are the crown jewels, no nonsense, and they have the deepest sentiments. Many people don't like to see politics in art, but it's there whether you like it or not. I'm not talking about Democrap or Republicant partisan nonsense either, I'm talking about the issues. Nihilism. Nietzche. Hegel. Rome. History. Fascism. Anti-fascism. Rebirth. Society. Many issues are brought up in Fallout: New Vegas and the soundtrack conveys this perfectly.

The music of the old days, the 40s and 50s, is quite melancholy and is a fittingly playful juxtaposition to the apocalyptic landscapes of the game itself. Vibes and atmosphere used to be important to video games, but now it's all Dark Souls nonsense. Remakes galore. Who cares? Some would argue this was the last game to tell a story, and the thoughtful soundtrack conveys this without a shred of nonsense. One can easily picture Casablanca or Frank Sinatra. Noire, but of the future. A future that is also the past. This is similar to the beginning of Star Wars when it says "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." These are playful concepts that convey many things. Things aren't as they seem.

The metaphysical aspect of New Vegas is often neglected. Inon Zur makes a spiritual feeling arise, it is like Cormac Mccarthy's The Road because there are moments of beauty in the desperation and desolation of this future of craziness. When life is a bunch of nonsense from dawn to dusk, you need the beauty. But the characters of the game don't get to hear this music unless they are in a diner or something listening to the radio. It adds to the loneliness of the game's atmosphere.

They don't make games like this anymore, or soundtracks taboot. War never changes, but sadly, video games do. And art suffers for it. Maybe we need more war, less sitting on our butts getting pampered. One wonders if Caesar's Legion is actually the good guy in the game when one sees the world we live in today. There are shades of grey. This game is not Mario. It's for adults.